Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 03:11 PM

3,861 posts, read 2,230,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
if you have to tell me which sex you are, you probably ain't that pronoun. I can see for myself which sex you are.
This thread is about regular folks who are specifying their pronouns.

In other words, it's no longer polite to assume that a man is a man, so we all have to specify what pronouns we prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 03:12 PM

1,161 posts, read 435,595 times
Any situation that I have been in where someone tells me their pronouns, I go with it. Because it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

But, I do get annoyed with the idea that some people are pushing that everyone should be addressed by the pronouns "they, them" until they tell you what their pronouns are.
That just seems so silly to me.
When my friend who I met when he was female told me that his Pronouns were he,him, I never again referred to him as a female. But he also never understood why anyone should just assume the "they,them" for people you don't know.

I went to a comedy show the other night, and the comic was female. Now, I will refer to her as female because to be honest she jumped all around the spectrum when referring to herself. But she talked about having a child and she mentioned that she didn't like to be called Mom because that assigns her a gender, but then she referred to the child's "Dad" but then later she referred to herself as the child's Mom.
She told a story (not really any sort of joke) about how she was at a "grocery store with my child and the clerk said 'how old are they' and I said 14 months, and the clerk said 'is it a boy or a girl?' and I said I don't know. The clerk got very confused. And I explained that I'm not going to assign a gender to my child based on their body parts. Then I said to the clerk 'you even addressed my child as they' and she said 'yes, because I dind't know what gender they were' and I said 'Ah-HA! Exactly!!" This got a very small, smattering of applause.

I have no idea if that's healthy or not. I've never spoken with someone who was raised that way, and I don't believe that there have been enough peopled raised like that to really do any fair research on the results of not "assigning" gender to a child. But I do know that it seems like you are just setting everyone up to have weird unnecessary confrontations.

I fully support raising a daughter to understand she doesn't have to conform to traditional female roles, and vice versa with a boy. I fully support fully supporting your teenage/near adult child being trans. I totally do. But don't use your child to further your own agenda.

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Visiting a fas food resturuant a person had a button on tht siad their pronouns are Ze Zer zis.

I just call them a him because they had a pronounced Adams apple. My daughter scolded me to not using gibberish to address the person. I told her I only speak English. I will call the person he, she or it, but that is all the options there are in the English language. If someone had a button on that said "Only speak to me in French" I would ignore that as well given that I do not know any French except "Because I said so" Whatever language Ze Zis Zer is, I certainly do not speak that language. Sorry.

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
i have no desire to be unkind. I refer to trans people by what they want. mean isn't cool.

but seriously. if you start a conversation with me by saying "my preferred pronouns..." I. am. out.

you have nothing i want to hear. they conversation is over.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:13 PM

638 posts, read 241,002 times
If I talk to someone that has a bra on and when I call that person a her, she can screw off if she has a problem.. you being a freak show is not my problem..

Old 02-18-2020, 03:13 PM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
I'll just stick to a$$hole....gender neutral and just about covers all the bases

Old 02-18-2020, 03:16 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
I'll call people by whatever they prefer, I don't care really. I may think it's a bit silly, but in order to avoid friction and hurt feelings I'll call ya whatever you want to be called.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:17 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
This thread is about regular folks who are specifying their pronouns.

In other words, it's no longer polite to assume that a man is a man, so we all have to specify what pronouns we prefer.
I used to interact with people occasionally who were trans in my volunteer work. it was obvious they were trying to pass as the opposite sex, but I always knew they were biologically male or female. trans people can usually not pass.

those people didn't need to announce their pronouns. I called them by their preferred first name in any interactions. I didn't want to hurt their feelings.

'regular folks' don't announce pronouns unless they are virtue seeking progressives online. I never heard this in real life.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-18-2020 at 03:39 PM..

Old 02-18-2020, 03:22 PM

2,495 posts, read 868,168 times
There's an organization to this. The outrage is not organic. The occultists and globalists behind this, promoting this stuff, want their targets conditioned to accept anything and everything. Down is up, black is white, backward is forward. Everything is gray goo, and even gray goo isn't gray goo.

"How many fingers am I holding up?"

Old 02-18-2020, 03:23 PM

3,861 posts, read 2,230,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
'regular folks' don't announce pronouns unless they are virtue seeking progressives. I never heard this in real life.
Most people don't usually find out about things until it's too late. Soon it may be expected of all people.

The idea that everyone should specify "their pronouns" is a growing trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies