Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2019, 06:15 AM

8,969 posts, read 2,594,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It is a right, regardless of law - if someone tries to make you feel unsafe, then you have the right to stop them from doing that.

If someone deliberately follows you without indicating their intention, then dreamed up scenarios are going to result.
Yeah....that's not a right. What you are describing is responding to a lawful act with an unlawful act, basically putting yourself in the position to die just because you didn't like what someone else was doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well in the real world, I mean where everyone else lives, no one likes to be stalked. I mean no one. Giving Zimmerman a pass on that demonstrates that you can't be objective.

If your daughter ran in the house saying a creep was following her you would say what? Relax honey it's only a creep, He is just trying to keep the neighborhood safe? I doubt it.

As for the confrontation. I am still waiting for someone to post the alleged evidence that Martin initiated the confrontation or fight. All I have see is Zimmerman's side of the story which he changed a few times.

Look I can see that Martin all 154 pounds of bean pole that he was might have gone after Zimmerman. I might have had I been in his shoes. I would have wanted to know what Zimmerman's problem was.

You don't know any more than I do what happened between them that led to the fight. Zimmerman does and we can't take him. at his word.
Zimmerman had the loaded gun. Zimmerman pursued and stalked Martin. Not the other way around. 1 person was looking for trouble that night and it was Zimmerman.
Zimmerman is the very type that makes all gun owners look like puss cases. I don't like A holes who make gun owners look bad.
In the real world, you can't just go around assaulting people simply because they do something you don't like, if you do you might find that one of them is armed and end up dead like Martin. You can feel free to confront someone that is following you if you want, but you can't just assault them.

The reason all you see is Zimmerman's side of the story is because that's all there is to go on and physical evidence supports it and also Martin's history also supports that him attacking Zimmerman was well within his character....he liked to fight.

All we can go on is what we know and dreamed up scenarios where Zimmerman was waiving his gun around, hurling racial slurs, or was chasing after Martin riding a velociraptor don't contribute to the conversation because they are baseless.

That said, I agree that Zimmerman was looking for trouble, and I've harshly criticized him for it in this very thread....but that doesn't make Martin choosing to be that trouble any better.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:22 AM

11,184 posts, read 6,549,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
It was never proven at all. Stop lying. I can't imagine any reason other than race as to why anyone would lie so much to defend GZ. Even the prosecution said they were convinced GZ approached Martin gun in hand, as it would not have been possible for him to draw and shoot otherwise.
When you try to prove a point with the words 'Even the prosecution said they were convinced,' you lose.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:28 AM

10,734 posts, read 4,223,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Zimmerman got a lot of hate for self defense
It could have been me
Trevor was a violent criminal
Many such people are given martyr status
The sky is crying
And ever since then, the left have been after our guns and stand your ground laws.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:29 AM

35,879 posts, read 21,321,930 times
In the end - you still have a young person reacting to a threat - anyone here remember being that age???? You all making these grown up responses that are probably left of the moon to the reality of a young black man.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:35 AM

8,969 posts, read 2,594,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
In the end - you still have a young person reacting to a threat - anyone here remember being that age???? You all making these grown up responses that are probably left of the moon to the reality of a young black man.
His race has nothing to do with it.

That said, yeah, a stupid kid did a stupid thing and got killed for it. Also, a pathetic man did a pathetic thing and it ruined his life.

Both got exactly what they deserved.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:36 AM

10,734 posts, read 4,223,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Houses in the neighborhood were constantly being robbed.

Each time the police arrived, they couldn't do anything because they had no idea where the perps went.

Zimmerman was acting within the law. He was trying to reduce crime in the neighborhood. He called the cops. He was only watching Trayvon.

Evidence backs up Zimmerman's side that Martin attacked him and he fired while on the ground with Martin over him.

As I've stated many times, Zimmerman is a tool; however, that does NOT cancel out that he acted lawfully as he was being a responsible member of his neighborhood that night.
They should have put up security cameras then, to be honest. So the owners of the gated community was a failure in all of this as well.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:43 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,977,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
"Left of the moon" to the reality of this young man also:

Quote:
"The event that truly awakened me was the Trayvon Martin case," Roof wrote in the racist manifesto he published online, a cached version of which was saved to Internet archive sites.

Roof was 17 years old at the time, the same age Trayvon Martin was when neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman shot and killed the unarmed black teenager in 2012.

"I kept hearing and seeing [Martin's] name," Roof wrote, "and eventually I decided to look him up." Roof wrote that he "read the Wikipedia article" about the shooting and came to the conclusion that Zimmerman was not at fault.

"But," he continued, "more importantly this prompted me to type in the words 'black on White crime' into Google, and I have never been the same since that day."
What Happened When Dylann Roof Asked Google For Information About Race?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ion-about-race

Old 12-08-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
His race has nothing to do with it.

That said, yeah, a stupid kid did a stupid thing and got killed for it. Also, a pathetic man did a pathetic thing and it ruined his life.

Both got exactly what they deserved.
His race does- as many young black men face the same fears- ask them

Old 12-08-2019, 06:47 AM

16,234 posts, read 5,933,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Yeah....that's not a right. What you are describing is responding to a lawful act with an unlawful act, basically putting yourself in the position to die just because you didn't like what someone else was doing.

In the real world, you can't just go around assaulting people simply because they do something you don't like, if you do you might find that one of them is armed and end up dead like Martin. You can feel free to confront someone that is following you if you want, but you can't just assault them.

The reason all you see is Zimmerman's side of the story is because that's all there is to go on and physical evidence supports it and also Martin's history also supports that him attacking Zimmerman was well within his character....he liked to fight.

All we can go on is what we know and dreamed up scenarios where Zimmerman was waiving his gun around, hurling racial slurs, or was chasing after Martin riding a velociraptor don't contribute to the conversation because they are baseless.

That said, I agree that Zimmerman was looking for trouble, and I've harshly criticized him for it in this very thread....but that doesn't make Martin choosing to be that trouble any better.
I have seen no evidence that supports Zimmerman's story and neither did the police. That's why he was charged.
I have also stated that Martin was no angel in this story. What I contest is that Zimmerman was any kind of a victim of anything but his own actions.

No one and I mean no one likes to be followed. Most of us will confront the person doing it. That isn't breaking the law. Now what happened between Martin and Zimmerman , we will never know, but 1 thing for sure I will never take Zimmerman's word for it.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
They should have put up security cameras then, to be honest. So the owners of the gated community was a failure in all of this as well.
They should have hired real uniformed and trained security! Maybe the guard would have stayed in his car until police arrived or st least announced their presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.