Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 09:02 AM

9,855 posts, read 13,780,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
They are if they are a result of zoning that prevents additional inventory to be created that would be more affordable.

Zoning was originally created to as a way to drive segregation (NYC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Are prices racist now?

I'll tack on the institutionalized racism angle to this too. It runs way deeper then just "prices." Minorities have historically suffered from financial inequalities from red lining to higher mortage rates and inability to get lines of credit for whatever reason even though race should be a non-issue when considering lines of credit. When property taxes and land values skyrocket (whether it be zoning or just the desirability of the area) these communities get pushed out of their long time homes. Have you heard the story of Cisco BBQ in 78702? This now historic landmark gets approached by developers often and always turns them down in an effort to preserve the history of East Austin. I'm not sure if they struggle with property taxes, but this is the city we live in; where long time businesses cannot pay their taxes anymore and take their money and move out north or south because they can afford to do business there and not their longtime home because they were priced out of their neighborhood. I mean, Threadgills, Frank and Angie's, Hooters, The Night Hawk, The Wax Museum on South Congress, etc are all examples (and all within the three and a half years I've been here).

Old 02-11-2019, 09:02 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,119,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
The price of land and taxes are going up due to the popularity of the city. You can try all you want to have low rent, but you've got to offset the property taxes and value of land. Like the person had posted above with the 2008 versus 2018 photos, the land was cheap then, so someone bought it and since then the land has gone up in the price. That's part of the issue. All the people who moved to Austin 5-15 years ago moved to East Austin because it was close to downtown but way cheaper then the westside of downtown. Now it's prices are increasing because everyone thinks its cheaper.
Exactly.

East Austin has not been "affordable" for a very long time, and density has not helped. It is still too expensive for most people.

So, therefore, Austin97's point (with regard to East Austin) about racist zoning policies (?) that don't allow for densely built units (which would theoretically make housing affordable) is not a valid one, in my opinion.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I'll tack on the institutionalized racism angle to this too. It runs way deeper then just "prices." Minorities have historically suffered from financial inequalities from red lining to higher mortage rates and inability to get lines of credit for whatever reason even though race should be a non-issue when considering lines of credit. When property taxes and land values skyrocket (whether it be zoning or just the desirability of the area) these communities get pushed out of their long time homes. Have you heard the story of Cisco BBQ in 78702? This now historic landmark gets approached by developers often and always turns them down in an effort to preserve the history of East Austin. I'm not sure if they struggle with property taxes, but this is the city we live in; where long time businesses cannot pay their taxes anymore and take their money and move out north or south because they can afford to do business there and not their longtime home because they were priced out of their neighborhood. I mean, Threadgills, Frank and Angie's, Hooters, The Night Hawk, The Wax Museum on South Congress, etc are all examples (and all within the three and a half years I've been here).
What do you mean by Cisco BBQ?

Are you talking about Sam's BBQ or Cisco's?

Old 02-11-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
They are if they are a result of zoning that prevents additional inventory to be created that would be more affordable.

Zoning was originally created to as a way to drive segregation (NYC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
What do you mean by Cisco BBQ?

Are you talking about Sam's BBQ or Cisco's?
Cisco's Piece Of Old East Austin Preserved As Cisco's Restaurant Gets Historic Landmark Designation | KUT

Old 02-11-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I think you're confused. Cisco's was sold to a grandson and partner. It was updated, a liquor license was added, and better coffee is now served!
https://austin.eater.com/2018/12/11/...ours-cocktails

Sam's BBQ was recently offered $5,000,000 to sell:
https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-cul...s-bbq-dilemma/

None of this has anything to do with institutionalized racism.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I think you're confused. Cisco's was sold to a grandson and partner. It was updated, a liquor license was added, and better coffee is now served!
https://austin.eater.com/2018/12/11/...ours-cocktails

Sam's BBQ was recently offered $5,000,000 to sell:
https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-cul...s-bbq-dilemma/

None of this has anything to do with institutionalized racism.
I may have them a bit confused, but either way. Let's run through tihs again. African-American communities were forced to move to the East side and they established their own communities and now due to price increases they are being thrown money to get them out. How is that not institutionalized racism? The white guy wants to be there now so they're doing all they can to get them out? And Cisco's, no matter who owns it, has that designation to avoid being thrown money to move.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I may have them a bit confused, but either way. Let's run through tihs again. African-American communities were forced to move to the East side and they established their own communities and now due to price increases they are being thrown money to get them out. How is that not institutionalized racism? The white guy wants to be there now so they're doing all they can to get them out? And Cisco's, no matter who owns it, has that designation to avoid being thrown money to move.
The prices are as high as the market will bear. It's called capitalism. Austin is riding a wave of unprecedented mind-boggling popularity. People with big money are moving there. They want to own property.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:40 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,543,869 times
Quote:
The prices are as high as the market will bear. It's called capitalism. Austin is riding a wave of unprecedented mind-boggling popularity. People with big money are moving there. They want to own property.

And in the process make the city they claim to have moved to because they want to live in it over in their own image. At which point they will want to move to the next "In" place, having destroyed this one, rinse and repeat.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And in the process make the city they claim to have moved to because they want to live in it over in their own image. At which point they will want to move to the next "In" place, having destroyed this one, rinse and repeat.
Yep. It sucks, but it is a natural process.

Look on the bright side. At least Hooters is closing.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:45 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,958,469 times
Quote:
Well if you own a home in the East Side, you don't have to sell it. However, money generally talks. If you bought a shack for $20k back in 1970 and now it's worth $400k you are probably going to sell it if you have any business sense. Then you can use the profits to build a brand new home for $300k in Pflugerville, much nicer than you had before in a better school district. What's wrong about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies