Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 12:17 PM

2,999 posts, read 3,137,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
If you have evidence of this you should report it. This is illegal.
I know it's illegal, but that just tells you how bad institutional racism is and that is DOES exist and happens ALL THE TIME. Without going into too much personal detail, I have already taken care of what happened with my own personal experience. But the point is that things like what happened to me are so slyly done, that it happens to most minorities without them even realizing that it's happening, so they DON'T report it and it STILL holds them down and holds them back from many equal opportunities.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:43 PM

9,857 posts, read 13,804,806 times
Quote:
This is blatant racism. You are asserting that a low-income minority doesn't have the capacity to learn how to do this.
That's the point! It is racist because these communities lack the access to education to do better! Resources need to be put into place to help minorities reach these goals and understand how it helps, instead of living in the cycle that I discussed. (Okay, now, as a helping professional, I'm going to say that there's nothing blatantly wrong with living the way I mentioned but that life is sure a lot easier if you do).

Old 02-12-2019, 12:58 PM

7,294 posts, read 4,128,429 times
ashbeeigh:
Sure is, but higher income, non-minority educated residents have more access to resources to protest taxes and know how to talk their way through a payment plan.

AguaDulce:
This is blatant racism. You are asserting that a low-income minority doesn't have the capacity to learn how to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
That's the point! It is racist because these communities lack the access to education to do better! Resources need to be put into place to help minorities reach these goals and understand how it helps, instead of living in the cycle that I discussed. (Okay, now, as a helping professional, I'm going to say that there's nothing blatantly wrong with living the way I mentioned but that life is sure a lot easier if you do).

I think your heart is in the right place, but you're being disingenuous.

If someone wants to learn how to protest property taxes, all they have to do is google "protest property taxes."

Your statement implies that minorities are not capable of learning, which is a racist statement.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:

I think your heart is in the right place, but you're being disingenuous.

If someone wants to learn how to protest property taxes, all they have to do is google "protest property taxes."

Your statement implies that minorities are not capable of learning, which is a racist statement.
But how do you google when you don't know how to use a computer or a smart phone? Because you don't have access to those things? Again, you're assuming someone knows how to "google." I have/had clients come to me very frequently who could very easily answer their questions through a google search but they don't know how. You can apply for food stamps online, but then why are there people who are "certified" in applying for benefits and travel around the area helping people apply for benefits? How about tax sites? I've done taxes for people who just had a w-2 and could have done turbo tax in about five minutes. But because they don't know how to use a computer came to the tax site. Yes, there are classes to teach those things, but not nearly enough.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:16 PM

7,294 posts, read 4,128,429 times
Quote:
But how do you google when you don't know how to use a computer or a smart phone? Because you don't have access to those things? Again, you're assuming someone knows how to "google."
As for your assertion regarding finding out how to protest property taxes, how does someone go through the process of getting a mortgage and purchasing a home? By your reasoning, minorities aren't capable of such a task.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
As for your assertion regarding finding out how to protest property taxes, how does someone go through the process of getting a mortgage and purchasing a home? By your reasoning, minorities aren't capable of such a task.
No. It's not. But whatever. We're splitting hairs and I'm trying to have a reasonable conversation about racism and you're just being argumentative for the sake of it (as I had thought from the very start of this thread). So, I think I'm done for now.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:36 PM

3,095 posts, read 3,292,967 times
Quote:
No it's not racist, one could argue it's classist, but it certainly isn't racist. Just because a "minority" is negatively affected by something doesn't automagically make it "racist".

As to SFH, look at the area north of Mueller, lots of SFH being replaced by quads causing significant gentrification. I don't see how investors buying a $250K SFH, tearing it down, building four condos selling for $400K/1000sqft a pop is going a long way towards allowing lower/middle income minorities buy into the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh
what institutionalized racism is and that it exists, trying being Black or Hispanic, having a GREAT credit score, then looking to buy a house or a car and STILL being offered higher interest rates than your white counterparts who have equal or even LOWER credit scores than you.
You must be going to some pretty shady places if that's how you're being treated. My personal experience is nothing like this with mortgages or auto loans. Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying it's not necessarily the law of the land.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
No it's not racist, one could argue it's classist, but it certainly isn't racist. Just because a "minority" is negatively affected by something doesn't automagically make it "racist".

As to SFH, look at the area north of Mueller, lots of SFH being replaced by quads causing significant gentrification. I don't see how investors buying a $250K SFH, tearing it down, building four condos selling for $400K/1000sqft a pop is going a long way towards allowing lower/middle income minorities buy into the area.

You must be going to some pretty shady places if that's how you're being treated. My personal experience is nothing like this with mortgages or auto loans. Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying it's not necessarily the law of the land.
Happens in the are you just cited north of Mueller.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:29 PM

7,746 posts, read 15,205,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Lots of straw men here

1) there are no 250K SFH in the area north of mueller.
2) There are no 4 plexes on SFH lots because it is not allowed. If it is happening it requires a rezone which is almost never.
3) There are no units forsale in 4 plexes, the volume isnt high enough because it isnt allowed. What is "lots" anyway? Here is the austin GIS which has layers for zoning. The zoning of virtually every lot is SF3. Duplexes only.
4) Even though all of your hypothetical statements are contrary to fact, when one unit gets replaced by 4, it allowed 4 families moving into the area to live where there was only one before. That will slow the rise in prices, sprawl etc.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:09 PM

502 posts, read 395,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
Exactly. Also, for those who don't know---or want to PRETEND they don't know---what institutionalized racism is and that it exists, trying being Black or Hispanic, having a GREAT credit score, then looking to buy a house or a car and STILL being offered higher interest rates than your white counterparts who have equal or even LOWER credit scores than you. Speaking from experience. It happens ALL THE TIME, and companies and banks are allowed to get away with it. And that's just ONE blatant example of institutionalized racism.
Is there a way to know what should be a reasonable interest rate for your credit score?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies