Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 07:59 PM

8,534 posts, read 3,427,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
A few words for you --- Illegals aren't going to drag a 40 ft. ladder across the desert. Do you even know how much those things weigh? Shovels? Heck, these people don't even carry enough water to make it across the desert in blistering heat.

Why do you even care? These illegals aren't trying to sneak into Canada.
Since the thread topic is drugs ...the comments about the water and the desert in the heat ... are pertinent. True enough that some cannot carry adequate water for the summer heat. Somehow I can't imagine the cartels operating mule runs only when the weather is good. Summer coming ... time to close for the season.

In theory ... if smugglers are organized enough to get hundreds of pounds of drugs to the border, they will manage to get the ladder along with it. But again ... why even do that when roads work better. So they don't.

Sad when you think about it ... the smugglers care more about taking good care of the drugs than they do the poor souls who pay to cross.

The drugs now go first class, the people not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 08:03 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,812,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
My goodness, girl! You obviously have never been out in the desert on a blistering hot day! You are also unaware that countless illegals have died in such heat.
"Last year 412 migrant deaths were recorded on either side of the border, .."

Apprehensions are 400,000 in 2018.

We don't have a figure on how many made it but by any measure it has to be only a tiny percentage that "die in the desert".....and those are the results of bad coyotes. You can't save people from other bad people....as the many defrauded by Trump can attest to.

But, in any case, I think think you underestimate humans...and overestimate the problem. By every measure there have been good results in the past numbers of years in terms of "returns" and "apprehensions" and "removals".

80% of the illegals living in the USA have been here over a decade. Just that figure should tell you something - mainly that much of the system is working well. It's the E-Verify that needs to be done to further discourage the very small "net" amount (ins vs. outs) that may now be coming.

I actually think we are on a downslope....more outs than ins...which makes it even crazier to consider this an "emergency" or "national security" problem. When things are working you just continue and move on (to visa overstays, more judges, e-verify, etc.).

I know - that makes too much sense. Numbers are...tough.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:12 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,812,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Since the thread topic is drugs ...the comments about the water and the desert in the heat ... are pertinent. True enough that some cannot carry adequate water for the summer heat. Somehow I can't imagine the cartels operating mule runs only when the weather is good. Summer coming ... time to close for the season.

In theory ... if smugglers are organized enough to get hundreds of pounds of drugs to the border, they will manage to get the ladder along with it. But again ... why even do that when roads work better. So they don't.

Sad when you think about it ... the smugglers care more about taking good care of the drugs than they do the poor souls who pay to cross.

The drugs now go first class, the people not so much.
Mules are for the small timers.....independents and little guys.

Real Narcos have deals with manufacturing plants, multi-national corporations, Law Enforcement, Airlines and their own fleets of planes, boats...and tunnels.

As we speak, millions of doses of every drug known to man are in the US Mail. Really. Why use people?

It is illegal for the post office to search packages without probably cause.

Also, drugs are sent from all over the world to the USA and elsewhere...by China Post, British Post and every other form known to man. Does anyone think that customs checks the millions of packages from China that contain that $4 gadget you purchased online?

One local Home Depot Warehouse found vast amounts in one vanity. I'm sure many container shippers have such deals going.

It seems like many of you fell off the turnip truck yesterday, so to speak. This is a big world and millions of packages are in transit every hour....all automated and bulk-packed. No one checks them.

A word of advice to wall lovers. Stay with the "it's part of comprehensive immigration reform" rather than throwing up all the drugs, duct taped children, bad terrorists and the like. Make it normal and more people will give you cred.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:54 PM

7,479 posts, read 4,074,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If they are coming across a checkpoint with security involved what is making it across points where there is little or no security?

Old 02-01-2019, 08:57 PM

27,306 posts, read 16,372,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
But since some states have 140 LEGAL scripts for opiates per 100 people.......what are you going to do, kill all most all of the people? Execute the Pharmacists and Doctors? Hang the Pharma companies?

At least discuss things in a manner that addresses the real world. It's not a video game. Think about that - 140 scripts for each 100 residents (I think that is Alabama) and you will get some idea of the problem.

Why not apply the exact same logic to cigarettes or booze. Should we kill all boozers? All sellers, makers and distributors? Should we make sure we secure our border against Canadian Club?
Are you trying to be my friend? I have been saying that all along. Booze killed my brother. Ban alcohol, dope, illegal drugs, tobacco, etc.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:16 PM

13,378 posts, read 22,064,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Are you trying to be my friend? I have been saying that all along. Booze killed my brother. Ban alcohol, dope, illegal drugs, tobacco, etc.
Sorry for your loss, but it was your brother who killed your brother.

I thought conservatives stood for fewer laws and greater personal responsibility?

Old 02-02-2019, 01:00 AM

22,649 posts, read 12,288,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Well, you should be then. You sure spout the party line.
Nah. Hardly.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:46 AM

59,543 posts, read 27,917,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Because Trump said so??

of course Trump had the chance to do so when he controlled the house and the senate, but just in case they voted no, now he has an excuse to blame the left. Which which he does.
"of course Trump had the chance to do so when he controlled the house and the senate,"

We hear this lot from the left.

Either they are ignorant of how the Senate works or are lying on purpose

YES the repubs ran the Senate BUT, it take 60 VOTES to pass may things and the repubs did NOT have 60 repubs.

I know, details, details, details!

Old 02-02-2019, 06:09 AM

3,457 posts, read 1,475,589 times
According to the latest data available, while the largest amounts of drugs overall were seized in between the ports of entry, the overwhelming majority of those seizures by Border Patrol agents is for marijuana, which is cheaper and less strong than other narcotics.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ry/2517586002/

Looks like it comes through everywhere. So, we should do everything we can.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:06 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,861,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
However many the Mexican cartels now are building them. In fact, Mexican cartels have become so vested in drone use that they use Mexican-based companies to produce them in cities including the Federal District, Guadalajara, Monterrey, Querétaro and Tijuana. Mexican cartels and Amazon - drones: a technology of the future.

Fun facts:
1. Cartels started using drones along the SW border in 2010. The US intercepted 150 drones in 2012. These are not small personal drones but carry substantial tonnage.

2. Engineers are working to improve to improve carrying weight and travel distance, and to mask detection.

They do not land but drop their cargo. More:

https://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/ar...ransport-drugs

Is this a novelty (Trump called them toys) or a practical concern? Per CBP:

https://www.911security.com/news/dru...r-u.s.-borders

The money required to defeat drone-delivered drugs are going towards walls that are useless. The urban walls close to the POEs are in place. Upgrades may be called for. 30 or even 55-foot walls out in the desert help not a whit. What are needed are smart walls (in this case into the air) at the ports, where most drones cross. Why? Again, it's the roads.
I bet this is the main method they use to get the bulk of the drug supply into the US, the drug cartels have an unlimited budget, so anything is possible for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies