Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 07:04 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,107,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If there are any openings along the walls to be able to go around the Border Patrol are waiting for them, duh. The good walls can't be scaled over or tunneled under successfully either. Congress made the mistake of erecting mere fencing on much of the 700 miles of porous border rather than the double barriers that they promised. Trump wants to fix that. On areas where those types of barriers are built they have cut back illegal entry by 80-90%. That's not good enough for you? They have to be 100% effective?

It's not only drugs that are getting into our country but millions of illegal aliens that are raping our country economically, criminals and those from known terrorist countries. We already tried high tech stuff a few years back and it failed so it was scrapped. There is nothing better than good physical barriers backed up by the Border Patrol to deter illegal entry. It's not BS that drug mules are getting into our country via non-legal ports of entry either.

As for eminent domain issues those who don't want a wall on their properties can just deal with the illegal trespassers, criminals and drug mules who will then just funnel right through their lands. They'll be begging for a wall in no time. We have walls around our homes and businesses. Are they an ugly, insulting blight on the landscape? Try again, you're getting desperate now. We have had barriers on our southern border for years now and all of a sudden it's ugly? There is no plan of a big, tall cement barrier anyway.

Oh, stop with this crap of the wall being a monument to Trump! This is the wall approved by congress back in 2006 but not completed as promised. How are we being duped when Trump went so far as to shut down the government over this issue and may now have to declare a national emergency to do it? You're being duped by your leftist masters and I'm sure your agenda is to keep the flow of illegals into our country comiing also, thus your objection to good physical barriers. You fool no one!

any wall can be tunneled under and yes drumf would label it his wall for that is what a narcisstic arse does .

using the national emergency lie is appalling.drumf does not care a hyena's butt about safety.just look at his dealings on arms treaty and his ignoring of gun and shootings issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 09:53 AM

13,315 posts, read 21,948,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If there are any openings along the walls to be able to go around the Border Patrol are waiting for them, duh. The good walls can't be scaled over or tunneled under successfully either. Congress made the mistake of erecting mere fencing on much of the 700 miles of porous border rather than the double barriers that they promised. Trump wants to fix that. On areas where those types of barriers are built they have cut back illegal entry by 80-90%. That's not good enough for you? They have to be 100% effective?
So they go a little further past the border patrol. Even Trump says he only wants to build 1,000 miles of wall along the 2,000 miles of border. So if you want to stop illegals crossings then you need technology on the other 1,000 miles anyway.

And you don't think people can tunnel under the wall? Are you joking? What's to stop them? You think there's a magic depth where tunnels need to stop?

Plus the new design of the wall with metal slats makes it much easier to scale. Want to make a ladder? Take sections of 2x4 that are 1/4" longer in length than the distance between the slats, and then wedge them between the slats. Voila, instant ladder.

Want to get drugs across the fence? Hand them through the slats to an accomplice on the other side. Duh.

Quote:

It's not only drugs that are getting into our country but millions of illegal aliens that are raping our country economically, criminals and those from known terrorist countries. We already tried high tech stuff a few years back and it failed so it was scrapped. There is nothing better than good physical barriers backed up by the Border Patrol to deter illegal entry. It's not BS that drug mules are getting into our country via non-legal ports of entry either.
You're simply parroting Trump's party line. Other people say that most of illegals in this country contribute more to the economy than the ones that subtract.

Quote:
As for eminent domain issues those who don't want a wall on their properties can just deal with the illegal trespassers, criminals and drug mules who will then just funnel right through their lands. They'll be begging for a wall in no time. We have walls around our homes and businesses. Are they an ugly, insulting blight on the landscape? Try again, you're getting desperate now. We have had barriers on our southern border for years now and all of a sudden it's ugly? There is no plan of a big, tall cement barrier anyway.
I'm getting desperate, LOL? You're simply parroting the mindless "house walls" analogy that hardly deserves a serious response. But if you must.. A house is completely enclosed by four walls, a roof and a floor across the entire structure. And yeah, that's pretty effective for keeping passers-by out but completely fails if someone is serious about getting into your home. Trump's wall by comparison is equivalent to two walls of a house and no floor and no roof. How silly is that? And you know what? You *can* secure that with motion detectors, cameras and guards.

Quote:
Oh, stop with this crap of the wall being a monument to Trump! This is the wall approved by congress back in 2006 but not completed as promised. How are we being duped when Trump went so far as to shut down the government over this issue and may now have to declare a national emergency to do it? You're being duped by your leftist masters and I'm sure your agenda is to keep the flow of illegals into our country comiing also, thus your objection to good physical barriers. You fool no one!
The 2006 secure fence act called for 700 miles of fencing. It was built, and a perfect example of letting the camel's nose in your tent.

As far as your insulting claims to "my agenda", let me put this as politely as I can. You're full of crap on that.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:56 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,722,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Maybe the value issue becomes the street value working backwards, that includes the cost of the distribution network etc.

Anyhow, that's always been one of the supposed reasons why sending drugs off with illegal immigrants (other than marijuana) is not the pattern. Some of the cost may well be the risk to the cartel itself (informants etc.) There needs to be a tightly organized distribution network, which is expensive.

I get the impression that marijuana's been handled somewhat separately - hence the earlier pattern of small-scale mules etc.

Kuddos to you for getting off the stuff. Too many don't have the fortitude. My next door neighbors - both wonderful people, the real deal - both died in their 50s due to vicotin addictions.
Its surprising they died from Vicodin, that is a pretty weak opioid, so weak, there is barely any street value for it, Thhey could be had for around $2. each back in my using days, but generally, most people went for stronger drugs like percocet, oxycontin, Opana, etc

Old 02-03-2019, 10:25 AM

8,531 posts, read 3,380,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its surprising they died from Vicodin, that is a pretty weak opioid, so weak, there is barely any street value for it, Thhey could be had for around $2. each back in my using days, but generally, most people went for stronger drugs like percocet, oxycontin, Opana, etc
That was the drug they were using for a long time. The wife who died from the overdose may well have mixed in other drugs. Although only in her 50s, she'd become confused. It was unexpected. H. found her in bed. He never shared a toxicology report ... but ... trying to remember ... there was another mutual friend who was helping them ... and per her it was an overdose.

The husband became increasingly dysfunctional to where we tracked down an out-of-state relative who intervened with intensive medical support. That diagnosis from the brother was cognitive dysfunction due to drug-use. It was too late. Only a short time later, the police came to my door saying they'd found him dead in his car. I don't know the direct cause.

Perhaps I should not add this but it is a comment how insidious drug use can be. I'd never before understood why it's possible to become addicted to pain medication. The pain stops; stop the med. Simple, right?

One night I'd a really bad reaction to a chiropractic treatment. My DD was home and I did not want to frighten her. Knowing this is never recommended ... I took the pill offered by W. Not only did it handle the pain, it felt wonderful. W gave me several but returned the next day for them saying they'd had some sort of emergency.

Still somewhat in pain, I went to my doctor talking about this great drug whose name began with a "V." My doctor confused wondered if it could be Vioxx, but that'd just been taken off the market? Fortunately, I soon recovered with that one "V" pill my only experience.

But, yes, it's possible they also used other opioids.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:35 AM

8,531 posts, read 3,380,306 times
Just posted this on another thread; I finished it this morning:

An excellent book is: The Line Becomes a River: Dispatches from the Border by Francisco Cantu that came out this February. Of Mexican-American and Anglo heritage, Cantu worked in border patrol from 2008-2012. He became an agent to gain border experience prior to law school or graduate work in international diplomacy.

Cantu expected criticism of his work to come from former fellow-border patrol agents. Instead, immigration activists have demonstrated during book readings.

This is a memoir, not an expose. One takeaway addressed the drug issue.

Crossing the border for the "average" illegal immigrant already had been made difficult by 2008-2012 due to increased border staffing and infrastructure built under The Secure Fence Act of 2006, as amended. For many, impossibly so even with the aid of a run-of-the-mill coyote. That, or highly dangerous.

One option for the desperate is/was to work as a drug mule for the cartels. Trips were one-way. Migrants carried marijuana on backpacks. Nearby cartel members (not carrying drugs) would monitor for border patrol. The downside for migrants was the highly undesirable contact with the cartel plus if caught by the BP they would be labeled as drug traffickers, forever precluding any hope of legalization.

Note that the real bad-guys (the cartel) took no such risk. No drugs on them or direct contact with the drug-carrying group. This was a horrible option for migrants but with crossings now so difficult ... that was one of the then-existing patterns. The upside for migrants was that it increased their chances.

With demand for Mexican marijuana decreasing, this may be less true today than it was back when Cantu was on the border. Per earlier posts in this thread, the large Mexican Government - DEA disruption of the Sinaloa smuggling operation across from the Buffett ranch came in 2016. Small-scale cross-border drug shipments now are often transported by American kids - at least in Arizona.

Regardless, if cartels choose to direct their mules thru some isolated border wall (speaking here of those out into the desert), no doubt they'll come prepared even for a 30' wall. Or turn to technology.

Anyhow ... what struck me was how tight the border appears to be for non-bad guy, non-high tech immigrants. Sure, that's anecdotal for, like I said, this was a memoir not a border analysis. Still, the stats are down ... that, and there's less demand.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,722,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
That was the drug they were using for a long time. The wife who died from the overdose may well have mixed in other drugs. Although only in her 50s, she'd become confused. It was unexpected. H. found her in bed. He never shared a toxicology report ... but ... trying to remember ... there was another mutual friend who was helping them ... and per her it was an overdose.

The husband became increasingly dysfunctional to where we tracked down an out-of-state relative who intervened with intensive medical support. That diagnosis from the brother was cognitive dysfunction due to drug-use. It was too late. Only a short time later, the police came to my door saying they'd found him dead in his car. I don't know the direct cause.

Perhaps I should not add this but it is a comment how insidious drug use can be. I'd never before understood why it's possible to become addicted to pain medication. The pain stops; stop the med. Simple, right?

One night I'd a really bad reaction to a chiropractic treatment. My DD was home and I did not want to frighten her. Knowing this is never recommended ... I took the pill offered by W. Not only did it handle the pain, it felt wonderful. W gave me several but returned the next day for them saying they'd had some sort of emergency.

Still somewhat in pain, I went to my doctor talking about this great drug whose name began with a "V." My doctor confused wondered if it could be Vioxx, but that'd just been taken off the market? Fortunately, I soon recovered with that one "V" pill my only experience.

But, yes, it's possible they also used other opioids.
Yea, thats the problem with opioids, not only do they take physical pain away, they also dull emotions, help with depression, etc. even though they are not given for those purposes, talk to anyone who has used them long term and they will admit they help with these things.

I told my dad, taking opioids was like taking an instant 'feel great, be in a great mood' pill.

It may sound crazy to say, but I truly think if more people knew the feeling these drugs produce, I think we would have a MUCH bigger abuse problem than we do!!

Old 02-03-2019, 11:00 AM

38,857 posts, read 25,647,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
A wall won't prevent what existing border security is catching. Let's spend the money on enhancing elements of border security that are actually getting things done

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...m_npd_nn_tw_ma

That's right.

Instead of giving a fool $billions for his stupid wall, let's put that border security money where it will actually give us security; more technology like x-ray scanners and enough of them to scan every truck coming across the border.

Because that's how both drugs and illegal labor get here.

For example.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:25 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,303,065 times
Rams and Pats will be building walls today, because they work.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:34 PM

30,468 posts, read 23,929,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
A wall won't prevent what existing border security is catching. Let's spend the money on enhancing elements of border security that are actually getting things done

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...m_npd_nn_tw_ma
Your argument is that because of this bust at the border checkpoint, nothing is going over the border in areas where there is no checkpoint.

That's a stupid argument.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:05 PM

63,352 posts, read 29,429,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So they go a little further past the border patrol. Even Trump says he only wants to build 1,000 miles of wall along the 2,000 miles of border. So if you want to stop illegals crossings then you need technology on the other 1,000 miles anyway.

And you don't think people can tunnel under the wall? Are you joking? What's to stop them? You think there's a magic depth where tunnels need to stop?

Plus the new design of the wall with metal slats makes it much easier to scale. Want to make a ladder? Take sections of 2x4 that are 1/4" longer in length than the distance between the slats, and then wedge them between the slats. Voila, instant ladder.

Want to get drugs across the fence? Hand them through the slats to an accomplice on the other side. Duh.

You're simply parroting Trump's party line. Other people say that most of illegals in this country contribute more to the economy than the ones that subtract.

I'm getting desperate, LOL? You're simply parroting the mindless "house walls" analogy that hardly deserves a serious response. But if you must.. A house is completely enclosed by four walls, a roof and a floor across the entire structure. And yeah, that's pretty effective for keeping passers-by out but completely fails if someone is serious about getting into your home. Trump's wall by comparison is equivalent to two walls of a house and no floor and no roof. How silly is that? And you know what? You *can* secure that with motion detectors, cameras and guards.

The 2006 secure fence act called for 700 miles of fencing. It was built, and a perfect example of letting the camel's nose in your tent.

As far as your insulting claims to "my agenda", let me put this as politely as I can. You're full of crap on that.

At least half of the border is rugged terrain that is nearly impassible so most won't even try to cross in those areas and fewer will succeed or are you back to us doing nothing unless it's 100% effective stupid thinking? Most won't tunnel under nor scale over the good walls successfully either or are you back to us doing nothing unless its 100% effective stupid thinking?

If the steel slatted barriers were easy to scale or tunnel under don't you think that the Border Patrol and Homeland Security would ask for a different type of design then? Technology can help but is not the single answer either. As I said, we tried that stuff years ago and it failed.

You keep yapping about drugs when IMO the largest problem is illegals coming here taking jobs, taxes and resources from Americans and among them are criminals and those from known terrorist countries. They are the ones who are and can harm the majority of Americans the most. Those using drugs aren't my main concern but innocent Americans that don't deserve this illegal invasion.

I don't parrot anybody. I think for myself and have researched this issue all on my own. Whoever is claiming that illegal aliens are a benefit rather than a burden to our society is lying and full of crap just like you are!

What about the walls and barriers around our homes and businesses? They have no roofs on them and yet they are a deterrant to unwanted entry. How many would successfully enter someone's private property without them or are you back to us doing nothing unless it's 100% effective kind of stupid thinking? If cameras, etc. could work all on their own then why do we have barriers at all?

Nope! The Secure Fence Act called for 700 miles of double barriers not mere fencing and they changed it. Only 30 miles were of the double barriers. Try educating yourself. A link is provided for you below.

Yeah right, you have no agenda. All anti-wall, anti-Trumps do. It's just a matter of which agenda it is. They either hire illegals for profit, want more Dem voters, are bleeding heart liberals without a brain in their heads, have ethnic ties to illegal aliens or just hate Trump. Funny, I saw no outrage by people like you back in 2006 when the wall bill was actually passed. Hmm.

With this off to my ignore list you go. Tired of reading the same old repetitive lies no matter how many facts are thrown at you. Those with an agenda don't give a damn about the facts anyway so it's a waste of time responding to you.

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...mplementation/

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies