Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 07:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Bear in mind that even if EBT does get shut off, which I doubt, everybody on it is still free to walk into a supermarket and use their own money to buy food, so I don't suppose too many people will actually go hungry. Even poor people have some disposable money.

Now if the SHTF and the food actually starts to run out, then things will get ugly. After air and water, food is the next thing on the list to keep things from getting very uncomfortable.
You do not understand the SNAP (formerly Food Stamps) program. The "S" stands for "supplemental". People's food needs are calculated, and what they can afford to spend is calculated. The difference is what they get in SNAP funds. So yes, even now, people are supposed to spend some of their money on food, unless they are extremely poor and their SNAP amount is their entire food budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 07:40 PM

10,510 posts, read 4,068,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Or children will go hungry.
What about all of those charities that exist to help fight hunger as well as the real churches that have food drives and soup kitchens?

Where I come from, it's not the government that helps everyone out, but the local community.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:46 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,476,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Seriously? A lack of food stamps would collapse our economy??? Are you on drugs????
It may seem odd but those resources go into circulation directly. Every dime these people receive is promptly spent and rapidly recirculates through the economy.

Programs like this are a powerful stimulant to the economy, their sudden absence can have reverberating effects ... especially when the economy is getting a bit shaky.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:52 PM

10,510 posts, read 4,068,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You do not understand the SNAP (formerly Food Stamps) program. The "S" stands for "supplemental". People's food needs are calculated, and what they can afford to spend is calculated. The difference is what they get in SNAP funds. So yes, even now, people are supposed to spend some of their money on food, unless they are extremely poor and their SNAP amount is their entire food budget.
LMAO! I used to work at a grocery store as a cashier, and it really ticked me off to watch people have $400-$800 in food stamps, use the money to buy junk, and then go out and get into a brand new Mercedes or Cadilac Escalade. We would even watch them take money out of the program, and then give it to a friend to go and get beer or cigarettes. I have no doubt, people use these programs honestly, but I have seen more people being dishonest with these programs than being honest.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:59 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,708,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
It may seem odd but those resources go into circulation directly. Every dime these people receive is promptly spent and rapidly recirculates through the economy.

Programs like this are a powerful stimulant to the economy, their sudden absence can have reverberating effects ... especially when the economy is getting a bit shaky.
There is nothing shaky about our economy. Nothing.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
What about all of those charities that exist to help fight hunger as well as the real churches that have food drives and soup kitchens?

Where I come from, it's not the government that helps everyone out, but the local community.
Lots of people use food banks and such as supplemental food sources. You might be surprised how many of these people are also on SNAP.

Quote:
LMAO! I used to work at a grocery store as a cashier, and it really ticked me off to watch people have $400-$800 in food stamps, use the money to buy junk, and then go out and get into a brand new Mercedes or Cadilac Escalade. We would even watch them take money out of the program, and then give it to a friend to go and get beer or cigarettes. I have no doubt, people use these programs honestly, but I have seen more people being dishonest with these programs than being honest.
I'm calling bunk on your first story. If you were working as a cashier, how did you have time to watch the customers go to their cars after they left? Wouldn't you be taking care of the next customer? I mean, I've heard these stories about Mercedeses and Escalades over and over again. How do you "take money out of the program" and then give it to someone else to buy beer or cigarettes. Isn't it all EBT cards now?

I used to work with low income mothers, lots of them teens. I would have been happy if some of them had bought steaks and such with their (then) food stamps. For the most part, they bought a lot of prepared foods like mac and cheese in a jar, Chefboyardee spaghetti in a can, stuff like that. Many really didn't know how to cook.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-08-2019 at 09:04 PM..

Old 01-08-2019, 08:20 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,406,733 times
food stamps are good till march, its fully funded till first of march. maybe this is a good thing, people get off the azz and get a job

Old 01-08-2019, 08:54 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,610,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I’m familiar with the history, and the justifications used to support the practice.

Here is a quote from your second link:
Quote:
The Federal government passed a bill to help the farmers. Surplus was the problem; farmers were producing too much and driving down the price. The government passed the Agricultural Adjustment Act (AAA) of 1933 which set limits on the size of the crops and herds farmers could produce. Those farmers that agreed to limit production were paid a subsidy. Most farmers signed up eagerly and soon government checks were flowing into rural mail boxes where the money could help pay bank debts or tax payments.
Here is the same quote (with a few small changes):

Quote:
The Federal government passed a bill to help the automobile manufacturers. Surplus was the problem; automobile manufacturers were producing too many cars and driving down the price. The government passed the Automobile Adjustment Act (AAA) of 2019 which set limits on the number of cars automobile manufacturers could produce. Those automobile manufacturers that agreed to limit production were paid a subsidy. Most automobile manufacturers signed up eagerly and soon government checks were flowing into mail boxes where the money could help pay bank debts or tax payments.
After swapping “automobile manufacturers” for “farmers,” in the above quote, does anyone want to argue that this actually is a good thing?
Did you know that the farmers during the depression era had to burn their crop fields and kill their live stock? ... just a little bit of trivia for ya.
Wish there were better clips made than this:

Riots Across America - The Great Depression

Automotive --- ever looked into the Ford Hunger Strikes? Justifications --- the government to go forward, must survive the people. It isn't humanitarian reasons they do what they do, but history dictates that a person who is fed, is more docile and willing to be complicit, than a hungry one. That is just a fact of nature.

Some one said this to me once and I'll repeat it for you, just to think about ...

An alley cat has to fight in order to survive and learn it, and learn it well. A fat (well fed) cat, he doesn't need that. So when an alley cat meets with a fat cat, which one do you think will win, if a fight breaks out? (hint, an alley cat has to kill, to eat)

So you asked
Quote:
Just to make sure I understand, is it in fact your position that we have to give free stuff to poor people so that they won’t get angry and revolt?
The answer to that is yes, so as to curb normal behaviors of what happens if they are not fed.

The government also, doesn't want a run on those banks either. That would end our world as we know it to be. Some one like Trump comes along, who sees just what is right in front of him, who doesn't stop to think about the consequences, with a thinking that the people will work it out? Yes, they will. The question is ... do we leave it up to the people to work it out? Honestly, my sadistic side, says I'd really like to watch 'that' take place. But then I always thought I was born in the wrong era. (eggs have to get broken in order to make an omelette)

Additional reading:
Crime 1920-1940

Quote:
To the workers and needy the early years of the Depression brought desperation and conflict. Crowd violence in the form of food riots and unemployment protests of the early years of the Depression gave way to labor strikes and violent clashes with troops and law authorities in the later 1930s. At the beginning of the Depression the U.S. government had appeared ineffective at solving many problems affecting the average citizen.
^ like that has changed ...

Old 01-08-2019, 09:40 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,710,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Yeah, just by being in this country you've got a social contract, like it or not.
Sociopaths are not capable of recognizing a social contract.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:44 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,710,718 times
Quote:
I used to shop in grocery stores, and saw cashiers overcharge old people and pocket hundreds of dollars a day by stealing from the helpless. I have no doubt there were occasional honest cashiers, but have seen far more thieves with their hand in the till.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies