Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 09:18 AM

11,020 posts, read 5,888,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Distribution Of Surplus Agricultural Commodities < The Changing Face Of American Agriculture < Economy 1991 < American History From Revolution To Reconstruction and beyond

To paraphrase Mark Twain, "Better to stay off the keyboard and be thought a fool than to post and remove all doubt".
Ah, it’s cute that you think that link gives you a win. . But it’s apparent that you still don’t understand. That’s OK, the entertainment value that you provide is still quite high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 09:25 AM

28,336 posts, read 16,549,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Why pay 1/4? Just keep that in the bank and draw interest on it, so come tax time, you money has drawn interest instead of sitting at the IRS.

Are you not required to pay quarterly estimated taxes?

Old 01-08-2019, 09:26 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,549,626 times
I wonder what will happen if the shutdown continues through February. If it does will we see "gun discounts" starting at your local grocery store? "Hangry" people robbing supermarkets!

Old 01-08-2019, 09:30 AM

37,090 posts, read 31,380,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I had major surgery then almost died from complications. All was documented. I could not work at that time and had massive medical bills. I had money, but not enough to cover the medical bills. If I got food stamps, I could divert that amount to paying down the medical bills. I was told that that was fine but the woman told me that I didn't look that sick, so I should just get up off my butt and get a job.

The result was making minimal payments on the medical debt so that I could buy food and therefore trashing my credit.

If someone is getting food stamps, they have a worse situation than I had. I absolutely could not work at that time.
Then you did not qualify at the time due to assets or earnings. No employee is going to say get up off your butt and get a job or comment on your medical condition, they would be fired. Sorry, I know too many able bodied adults with no kids who are receiving food stamps.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:36 AM

19,985 posts, read 12,517,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Then you did not qualify at the time due to assets or earnings. No employee is going to say get up off your butt and get a job or comment on your medical condition, they would be fired. Sorry, I know too many able bodied adults with no kids who are receiving food stamps.
You might be surprised. Some of those state employees are surly and they make sarcastic and accusatory remarks to applicants or recipients. They also troll people, and reporting them gets you nowhere. I don't believe they could actually use those opinions to deny someone benefits though, as it is a paperwork process.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Only 16% of those who receive food stamps are considered "able bodied adults". The rest of them are children and seniors. Yeah, what a bunch of degenerates. Make the elderly work until they fall into their graves and bring back child labor - those degenerates need to earn their keep!
Children do not get food stamps, their parent(s) do. I'm not sure if they are the same parents who do not use those FS to actually buy food for said children. According to some posters those children will starve if they dont get the free school breakfast, lunch, snack and summer meals regardless of getting food stamps.
The percentages depends on your source I looked at three: AB=23.8%, Elder=8%; AB=20%, Elder -17%, AB=35%, Elderly 11%

Old 01-08-2019, 10:47 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,987,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

I know what was said to me and you don't.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:06 AM

23,205 posts, read 26,430,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Are you not required to pay quarterly estimated taxes?
Yes and you can be fined if you don't.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:12 AM

5,340 posts, read 6,569,350 times
A lesson in irony.

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is actually proud of the fact it is distributing the greatest amount of free meals and food stamps ever.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because the animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves.

This ends today's lesson.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I know what was said to me and you don't.
I know if you otherwise qualify for assistance (within poverty guidelines) the opinion of your caseworker concerning your medical file is not grounds to deny you benefits.

I have read quite enough articles about workers being fired for saying much less than that. I imagine a government employee would be careful what they said to clients if they want to keep their jobs.
If a person is denied any benefits they have the opportunity to appeal the decision. My case worker said I qualify but she doesn't personally feel I'm that sick so I should just get off my butt and get a job sound like a really good case for appeal and personnel review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies