Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 11:29 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I know if you otherwise qualify for assistance (within poverty guidelines) the opinion of your caseworker concerning your medical file is not grounds to deny you benefits.

I have read quite enough articles about workers being fired for saying much less than that. I imagine a government employee would be careful what they said to clients if they want to keep their jobs.
If a person is denied any benefits they have the opportunity to appeal the decision. My case worker said I qualify but she doesn't personally feel I'm that sick so I should just get off my butt and get a job sound like a really good case for appeal and personnel review.
Again, I was there, you were not. I know what was said and you don't. I was embarrassed enough to be in that position. I wasn't going to start anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 11:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. Wrong question. The real question is where are their TWO parents and why aren't they able to feed the children they've made???

Another choice those parents had when the children were born was to give them up for adoption while still infants... to vetted couples seeking a baby to adopt and raise.

Parenthood should never be entered into lightly and all willy-nilly. Serious thought and planning should be involved, not feelings of temporary infatuation for ones sexual partner.
Are there no workhouses?

Quote:
Again, where are their parents? And what are they doing to feed their kids? It's not enough to apply for food stamps. Those parents should be working more than 40 hours a week each, if they need to, in order to feed and clothe the children they chose to have. It's not society's burden to feed their children

I remember one year, my dad working an extra job at UPS during the holiday rush season between Thanksgiving and Christmas to make some extra money.

Anyway, what's truly disgusting is the creation of teen baby mommas, absentee fathers and expecting society to take care of their awful life choices. And since the Catholic church is against birth control and abortion, they should be setting up to help feed and clothe these children who their parents apparently can't afford to feed and clothe properly. But it's not my burden and my tax dollars shouldn't be used to feed these kids.

Also disgusting, is how posters like YOU only think about the children in these crises. What about the elderly on food stamps? American liberals are only concerned about the children, and cry about that instead of focusing their energies into how to make their parents more productive people and independent of government handouts.

BTW every city and town have food pantries set up and charitable groups (non-government run) who gather food donations from restaurants to feed the needy. Maybe it's less convenient that getting an EBT card, but at least the needy can't be buying cookies, candy, chips and soda with food stamps, or trading the EBT cards for other things like cash or cigarettes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.
No. -10,000. Did someone forget to put a human being in that first poster's heart?

Old 01-08-2019, 11:38 AM

35,716 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Again, where are their parents? And what are they doing to feed their kids? It's not enough to apply for food stamps. Those parents should be working more than 40 hours a week each, if they need to, in order to feed and clothe the children they chose to have. It's not society's burden to feed their children

I remember one year, my dad working an extra job at UPS during the holiday rush season between Thanksgiving and Christmas to make some extra money.

Anyway, what's truly disgusting is the creation of teen baby mommas, absentee fathers and expecting society to take care of their awful life choices. And since the Catholic church is against birth control and abortion, they should be setting up to help feed and clothe these children who their parents apparently can't afford to feed and clothe properly. But it's not my burden and my tax dollars shouldn't be used to feed these kids.

Also disgusting, is how posters like YOU only think about the children in these crises. What about the elderly on food stamps? American liberals are only concerned about the children, and cry about that instead of focusing their energies into how to make their parents more productive people and independent of government handouts.

BTW every city and town have food pantries set up and charitable groups (non-government run) who gather food donations from restaurants to feed the needy. Maybe it's less convenient that getting an EBT card, but at least the needy can't be buying cookies, candy, chips and soda with food stamps, or trading the EBT cards for other things like cash or cigarettes.
Large community of food stamps are the veterans - but keep pointing those boney fingers. God watches and reads city data

Old 01-08-2019, 11:40 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Yes and you can be fined if you don't.

That's what I remembered as well, though it's been ~15 years since I was self-employed...

Old 01-08-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why don't we break windows in order to stimulate the economy. It will employ people, right?

Then lets hand out money to everyone so they can buy grocercies. What could go wrong? Except that people won't work when they can get free money.

A single, able bodied adult, can be on food stamps forever as long as they work 20 hours a week. Why work 25 hours a week when that increases income and that person wont qualify anymore? Enough people will take that way out and wont improve themselves.

You want to help? Quit stealing my money for your causes and go feed them yourself.
Didn't read the link, did you? Since you won't, here's my allowable three, well, four with the mod's forbearance:
"From the 1920s through the 1980s, America's agricultural problem was overabundance. Two types of programs evolved to help use surplus food products. In 1954, Congress passed Public Law 480,called the "Food for Peace" law. . . Surplus food has also been used to feed undernourished people in the United States."

Here's another one: https://www.snaptohealth.org/snap/the-history-of-snap/
"The foundation for SNAP was first built in 1933 as part of the Agricultural Adjustment Act (AAA). The program, referred to as the Federal Surplus Relief Corporation, was established in the midst of the Great Depression, when prices for crops fell dramatically and farms across America were struggling to deal with the excess supply. To support farmers, the Federal government bought basic farm commodities at discount prices and distributed them among hunger relief agencies in states and local communities."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That is not true. Several posters have mentioned the potential impact of losing food stamps on poor elderly people.
Yes, and when there was a thread about cuts to the Meals on Wheels program for the homebound elderly, many of these self-same posters came out against the program.
Cutting Meals on Wheels? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What makes them so special? Look at Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Nancy Pelosi, our elderly president, etc. They can work, why not other old people? Put them all to work.

It is happening, with increasing retirement age and awful position when an older person is laid off and Trump removed safety net for their health insurance, putting a 63 year old and 21 year old on the same level. Tech economy has created more ageism, and challenges for older people who are displaced.
I hope that's sarcasm about Ginsburg, Pelosi and the pres. Most elderly are not capable of working, or of working full time past 70 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Ah, it’s cute that you think that link gives you a win. . But it’s apparent that you still don’t understand. That’s OK, the entertainment value that you provide is still quite high.
Didn't read the link, did you? Here's ONE sentence: "Surplus food has also been used to feed undernourished people inthe United States." I might remind you that rudeness is a cause to report a post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Why won’t they have access to charity services? Why can’t they earn enough to eat?
Charity cannot take care of everyone. How much do you give to your local food bank? While UE is low, there are some still who cannot find work; there are some who can't earn enough to feed a family. Federal minimum wage is $7.25/hr. That's about $15,000/year at full time.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-08-2019 at 11:50 AM..

Old 01-08-2019, 11:45 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,593,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
And? Maybe it'll help people become self reliant and quit the tit.
Here it is. I was waiting for the first non-compassionate post. The food stamp program supplements a family's existing income for food. It doesn't feed the whole family completely.

Most food stamp recipients work, but get paid very little. Others are between jobs, so this helps in the interim.

Most food stamp programs for adults last only a few months.

This a good and necessary minimal assistance program for those in need.

But for the grace of God, you would need it yourself.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:48 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,526,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Large community of food stamps are the veterans - but keep pointing those boney fingers. God watches and reads city data

Most Veterans know the difference of ' A Hand Up vs A Hand Out '

" You don't need God anymore; you have us Democrats." ~Nancy Pelosi (Quoted 2006)

Old 01-08-2019, 11:52 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,699,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Here it is. I was waiting for the first non-compassionate post. The food stamp program supplements a family's existing income for food. It doesn't feed the whole family completely.

Most food stamp recipients work, but get paid very little. Others are between jobs, so this helps in the interim.

Most food stamp programs for adults last only a few months.

This a good and necessary minimal assistance program for those in need.

But for the grace of God, you would need it yourself.

You must be living in a parallel universe where most food stamp receipts work and only need help for a few months. I'm speaking about the multi-generational receipients that draw benefits for decades and have no desire to work.

If you only need help for a few months then there are many other resources besides government programs.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
You must be living in a parallel universe where most food stamp receipts work and only need help for a few months. I'm speaking about the multi-generational receipients that draw benefits for decades and have no desire to work.

If you only need help for a few months then there are many other resources besides government programs.
Like what? And why not use food stamps if you qualify, even just for a short time?

Old 01-08-2019, 01:39 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How much money are you giving to the poor?
It varies. I give at least $1000/year to the local food bank, and try to give twice that. Those canned food drives are nice, but if you donate money directly to the food bank they can buy at wholesale and target the foods that they really need. If you want to help, give money.

Last fall I took in a guy who was the victim of elder abuse and starving to death. He lived with us for three months while he recovered his health, but is now back home trying to get the abusers evicted. Yes, he desperately needs food stamps, but an abusive step-daughter cleaned out his pantry. His wife died of leukemia, which ate all his retirement savings. He's recovering from colon cancer himself, and can't work.

The crap about how good people on public assistance have it is just bull****. America is full of people who live in abject poverty, who die an early death for no reason but being poor. If people want to spout hatred and prejudice you can't stop them, but it's a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies