Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2018, 04:27 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

I suscribe to Walter Blocks explanation of libertarianism:
Quote:
In my view, libertarianism is not at all a philosophy of life. Rather, it is a very, very, very limited philosophy. It pretty much asks only one question: “when is violence against another person justified?” and pretty much gives only one answer: “only in response to a prior use of violence, or threats.” That is, violence may properly be used only in defense, not offense. When the latter is engaged in, the perpetrator should be punished. That’s libertarianism in a nutshell, at least the way I see it.
In contrast, in sharp contrast, are questions like, “Should I get drunk tonight?” “Should I play checkers or chess?” “Who was the greatest composer of all time; Mozart or Bach?” “Should I stay in school, or get a job.” “Should I discriminate on the basis of race or sex?” “Should I hate short people?” These are all questions that a philosophy of life would answer. Libertarianism has not a single solitary thing to say about any of them. ANY of them. Because none of them are relevant to the usage of violence or threats.
https://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog...hy-of-life-no/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 05:16 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

But man, that's just crazy talk. Only using violence to defend yourself from violence?

But Roads...!

Old 12-27-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
But man, that's just crazy talk. Only using violence to defend yourself from violence?

But Roads...!
I know, maybe we should be banished to Somalia for such talk.
Whats really so crazy is the simple concept is lost on so many.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 12-27-2018 at 06:58 AM..

Old 12-27-2018, 06:58 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Some of my most liberal friends are libertarian and none of my most conservative friends are libertarian but interestingly enough -- as shown in this thread --- most of us assume libertarians are more conservative/Republican.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:20 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
My thoughts would be a smart person with excellent critical thinking skills that I am likely to get along with. And usually that is the case.
This doesn't jive with my experiences both IRL & on Internet.

On the contrary, no matter if they choose to capitalize the letter or not, I find they have the tendency to use distorted thinking styles:

15 Styles of Distorted Thinking

https://access.ewu.edu/caps/selfhelp...e/distortthink

Here & elsewhere I've discussed critical & creative thinking skils/strategies/techniques many many times (if doubtful, search my posts using keywords).

Old 12-27-2018, 07:33 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
When you hear that someone is a Libertarian, do you think anything particular about the person--and anything particularly good or bad? Or are there so few Libertarians out there that you think nothing of it?

For example, what if you child was dating someone and your child told you that the person is a Libertarian? Or you saw that a regular acquaintance who you don't know well has a Libertarian bumper sticker?

Thanks.
I have extremist associations with the word Libertarian. However, I also feel that there is tremendous intellectual thought underpinning libertarian economic policy. There's a consistency to their positions that I greatly admire, and libertarians appear to me to come by their principles honestly. I can't say the same for the alt-right, and traditional Republicans.

I would love to see a long debate or article series between a libertarian economist and a Keynesian economist, where we can observe their respective theories completely fleshed out. It's unfortunate that us Americans have to work hard to find this information. There simply isn't a market for true, honest intellectual debate in today's times.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:37 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

How do I force others people to pay for my compassions which I am not willing to pay for?

Old 12-27-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How do I force others people to pay for my compassions which I am not willing to pay for?
Im probably the wrong guy to ask, but there are plenty of statists around who probably have an idea

Old 12-27-2018, 08:53 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
This doesn't jive with my experiences both IRL & on Internet.

On the contrary, no matter if they choose to capitalize the letter or not, I find they have the tendency to use distorted thinking styles:

15 Styles of Distorted Thinking

https://access.ewu.edu/caps/selfhelp...e/distortthink

Here & elsewhere I've discussed critical & creative thinking skils/strategies/techniques many many times (if doubtful, search my posts using keywords).

I suppose then that you think your logic correct and that is your benchmark so anyone outside of that is using distorted logic.

That is the problem that most people have. They think they are right and everyone else is wrong who does not agree with them.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:12 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Do you defend taxation as something other than what it is - robbery under actual violence or threat thereof - as a necessary component to "things getting done?" Do you defend an entity having powers/rights no individual has (like initiating force on others, theft, murder, etc) and cannot possibly delegate, as a necessary component to "things getting done?"

If the answer to either of those is yes, then that's how you force others to pay for compassion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies