Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 12:06 PM

8,531 posts, read 3,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
And everyone at the recent gathering of upstanding and intelligent people I was at was talking about how they don't blame him for getting upset about the unsubstantiated charges made against him and would have been perplexed had he taken the accusations with stoicism or good humor.

All types out there it seems.
No, or rather, yes ... there are two issues here: one, Kavanaugh's emotionality, and the other, the seemingly partisan remarks. Folks seem to be cross-discussing on this forum.

Some have written with passion about unsubstantiated allegations involving friends or family-members or their concern that allegations can derail someone's future. That I get and appreciate why it might drive their assessment of this issue. Others (that include myself) have seen or heard of so many instances like that described by Ford that they don't find THAT possibility unlikely.

Both are societal problems - but the introduction of possible partisan bias (that differs from legal positioning) into the SCOTUS is a separate issue.

Me, I don't have a strong opinion. Curious, I tracked down a Time article that presented the history of past SCOTUS rejections and nomination withdrawals but I haven't taken the time to listen to to *all* of Kavanaugh's testimony and cross-match the two to form that opinion about whether Kavanaugh crossed some line.

OTOH, I've read Flake's comments so, yes, think it a possible issue.

I will say, though, that some posters' comments that the Democrats now deserve "revenge-decisions," that Kavanaugh can no longer be expected to be judicially objective based on Feinstein etc. to be a bit unsettling. If they believe THAT, then there should be a down-vote. No matter how unfair a charge may have been, simple morality demands a judge rise above it.

Maybe that's not human nature, but this is the SCOTUS where determinations impact the lives of millions.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:07 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,993,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogal9 View Post
OMG.. Avenatti cannot stand the fact that Stormy is out of the news which means he is as well. He should have stopped with his original loony "client" Swetnick. Now, this new victim, knew both Dr. Ford and Swetnick for years... Did Dr. Ford know Swetnick? I have never heard this revelation before. AND, of course she has first hand knowledge of Kavanuagh spiking the punch! Because his original client stated she did too in her affidavit (oh sorry, "became aware of") and later retracted and said she saw him standing by the punch box (not bowl).
Its pretty easy to spike a punch bowl. A punch box not so much.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:08 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,739,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
If you are a member of the Trump Party, 100%. The job is yours. Lying and sexual assault are now considered attributes in the party.
You mean like all the false rape accusations or the myths about college assault statistics?

Old 10-03-2018, 12:10 PM

8,444 posts, read 4,785,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
No, or rather, yes ... there are two issues here: one, the emotion, and the other, the seemingly partisan remarks. Folks seem to be cross-discussing on this forum.

Some have written with passion about unsubstantiated allegations involving friends or family-members or their concern that allegations can derail someone's future. That I get and appreciate why it might drive their assessment of this issue. Others (that include myself) have seen or heard of so many instances like that described by Ford that they don't find THAT possibility unlikely.

Both are societal problems - but the introduction of possible partisan bias (that differs from legal positioning) into the SCOTUS is a separate issue.

Me, I don't have a strong opinion. Curious, I tracked down a Time article that presented the history of past SCOTUS rejections and nomination withdrawals but I haven't taken the time to listen to to *all* of Kavanaugh's testimony and cross-match the two to form that opinion about whether Kavanaugh crossed some line.

OTOH, I've read Flake's comments so, yes, think it a possible issue.

I will say, though, that some posters' comments that the Democrats now deserve "revenge-decisions," that Kavanaugh can no longer be expected to be judicially objective based on Feinstein etc. to be a bit settling. If they believe THAT, then there should be a down-vote. No matter how unfair a charge may have been, simple morality demands a judge rise above it.

Maybe that's not human nature, but this is the SCOTUS where determinations impact the lives of millions.
Yes we all discussed the duality of the issue with wit, insight and aplomb and came to wildly different conclusions than your own group of peers. Then we participated a rousing and refreshingly competitive match of cornhole.

27,843 posts, read 28,974,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
During the interview process 3 women accuse me of sexual misconduct.
You forgot to mention:

None of these women are remotely credible, have personal and psychological issues of their own, and have political motivations for accusing you of misconduct.

718 posts, read 603,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
OMG.. Avenatti cannot stand the fact that Stormy is out of the news which means he is as well. He should have stopped with his original loony "client" Swetnick. Now, this new victim, knew both Dr. Ford and Swetnick for years... Did Dr. Ford know Swetnick? I have never heard this revelation before. AND, of course she has first hand knowledge of Kavanuagh spiking the punch! Because his original client stated she did too in her affidavit (oh sorry, "became aware of") and later retracted and said she saw him standing by the punch box (not bowl).
I agree.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:11 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,416,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Yeah...…...hate to keep repeating this, but those are exactly the sorts of things the Dems said about him when he was calm during the Fox interview with him and his wife before the testimony at the hearing.

Cant have it both ways.
No, that is how Trump felt about his Fox interview.

The overwhelming Democratic perspective on the interview was that he downplayed his drinking and made that period of his life more about volunteer work and bible thumping. Noting that he painted himself into a corner by doing so.

19,962 posts, read 12,247,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post

Bret Kavanaugh was standing by the punch at a party 36 years ago!!!

The nutters are crawling out of the woodwork.

46,447 posts, read 27,322,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Let's consider a hypothetical.

ANY OTHER SIMILAR APPLICATION PROCESS.

I am selected for a potential high profile job.

During the interview process 3 women accuse me of sexual misconduct.

I then accuse half the members of the board of directors with fabricating the accusations in a political conspiracy against me.

500 other professionals in my field sign a letter to the board saying they do not believe I should get the position.

What are the chances I will ultimately get the job?

A GANG RAPIST...would you not be pissed? Knowing it's not true.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:12 PM

3,873 posts, read 4,107,189 times
Rush keeps calling her Christine Ballsy Ford.......kinda funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies