Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 08:46 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,999,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Yes, the limitations did expire, one year after the incident. In 1982, the attempted rape was not a felony and had a one year limitation. Montgomery county has already spoken on this.

They say they will still investigate if a complaint is filed, they just cannot charge anyone.
Ok, great, why doesn’t ford do this?

Old 10-01-2018, 08:47 PM

17,790 posts, read 9,516,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby
Let's try to understand the Process at this point.

What if the Vote goes against Judge Kavanaugh?? I think President Trump re-Nominates him again and tells the American People that THEY get to vote on the next Supreme Court Justice AND the basic premise of ....... Presumption of Innocence.

President Trump will put it on the line ...... it's up to the American people in November to decide if we still have a System of Government and Judicial System that is based on Presumption of Innocence and Process ..... OR...... is it going to be Mob Rule an Trial by Mob Media.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Do you think a re-election would have been the right thing to do in 2000?

Important question - which would reflect on your very claim here about "mob rule", given the Brooks Brothers riot and other such things.
Are you under the impression that the US Constitution has a provision of any kind that allows/supports a "re-election" of a President of the United States?????

Hint .... It doesn't, so of course I would not think it's the "right thing to do".

What exactly do you think the Brooks Brothers Riot has to do with a Nomination of a Supreme Court Justice??????

This is not Rocket Science -- we have clearly laid out Divisions of Power via the US Constitution.
We have clearly laid out "process" determined by the US Constitution and US Law.

None of that includes "a presumption of Guilt on any accusation without Evidence or even Facts".

Old 10-01-2018, 08:47 PM

21,602 posts, read 10,770,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Pardon me if I've not whipped out the hankie over here for Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh just yet.

I think that it's ridiculous to expect that a woman is going to have hard evidence that she was sexually assaulted EVER. Much less 35 years later.

So, I guess she should just suck it up, because men are just being men, eh?
Oh geez, it’s about the rule of law and due process! And don’t give me that crap about it being a “job interview.” Because apparently people think a job interview has a lower standard of proof than even a civil suit, which is just a preponderance of the evidence. SHE HAS NO EVIDENCE!

She couldn’t even bring a civil suit against Kavanaugh with what she has because it would be summarily dismissed. Do you think it’s fair and reasonable for anyone in a job interview to lose it based on unsubstantiated accusations with not a shred of evidence?

Old 10-01-2018, 08:48 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,111,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Graham has finally found his big boy pants. He’s quite the talk now here in SC. People seem to be quite pleased. He has always been the begrudgingly first choice when he’s ran because his primary opponents have been terrible and no one is crazy enough to vote for a Democrat here. You will recall the South Carolina Democrats voted the complete unknown and quite a bit loony Al Greene in their primary based on his name alone.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:48 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,499,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yes, so the texts themselves are MIA. Interested to see if someone can see the actual texts themselves. You know. This is a really low standard here that NBC is using to write an article on some summary some woman wrote.

Hey, earlier there was an entire article on Kavanaugh throwing ice on some drunk guy in college. An entire article.
NBC was officially over for me when they edited that Trayvon Martin police call from Zimmerman, that was just horrible journalism, and seems they have not improved yet.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:49 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,999,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think you know the answer.

The vast majority of those attacked such never do......it would be a real rarity if she did so. Almost unheard of.

Now, maybe if 10 other situations are exposed she'll add her name to the list....but in that case it would be more of a "Cosby" where the prosecutors bring the strongest case or two only.

Is this what you want? Or are you just suggesting it for kicks?
Kicks? Ford appeared before the u.s. senate judiciary committee,; why wouldn’t she file a local complaint?

Old 10-01-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Democrat leftist sleazebags are now going after Kavanaugh's youngest daughter. These people are just unspeakably vile and evil.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/far...icious-cartoon
What in the world is it that they are in such a panic about? They are totally unhinged.
It boggles the mind to see this unfettered HATE.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:50 PM

37,515 posts, read 60,421,871 times
Trump loves mob rule--
He advocated for it during his campaign rallys when protestors came in
He refused to criticize the alt-right Nazis marching in Charlottesville
Trump might tell voters they get to vote on the next Supreme Court justice trying to get max numbers of his base to the polls--but they are still fewer than 30% of the population
And no matter how the mid terms go, the Senate still has to confirm a nominee

If Kavanaugh is proved to have lied to Orin Hatch in the judicial committee hearing Thursday--then his guilt as a sexual predator is really not the point in question
The fact that he lied under oath, under penalty of 5 yrs in jail I think I heard someone threaten Dr. Ford with, and he knowingly did so...
You don't send a text in July asking for a photo from a wedding years ago attended by you and someone who is going to accuse you of a sexual assault in college that happened 10 yrs before the wedding w/o KNOWING WHY YOU ARE DOING IT....
It is beyond credulity that Kavanaugh was involved in both these attempts to smear Debbie Ramirez AND Whelan's smear/doppelgänger story about someone else who was Ford's attacker but he didn't know what he was doing????
That is worse than anything people could accuse Ford or Ramirez of forgetting...

He is nailed if those texts are as incriminating as the story purports them to be...
And I bet the reason they are not being made public is if they were an EVERYONE saw what he was doing/asking then he could be forced out of his appellate seat...
I think that may be the bargaining chip -- that if Kavanaugh withdraws--then he keeps the DC seat and isn't kicked off and charged with lying to the Senate...
But that is a sham deal IMO
He has lied multiple times under oath--and he needs to lose the Appellate seat and frankly his law license

Old 10-01-2018, 08:52 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,817,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Read an article in NYTimes I think or WaPo about a woman who was raped by her then best friend's boyfriend one night when she had been out of town and they had both been at party or club together and both had been drinking...
he offered her (the writer of the story) a "safe ride home" and then proceeded to rape her on the stairs...
He threaten that if she told his girlfriend she would not be believed--and she wasn't--because he confessed to his girlfriend and claimed he was seduced---not his fault...

So she had never forgotten his name--looked him up--saw he was married and had children--and his wife had lot of traits/attitudes that she, herself, did...to make long story short--she decided not to tell this rapist's wife what he had done...
Guess that make her feel superior to the rapist--but some of what I have read about men who rape--especially rape women they know--points to this as a power game and that they don't just do it once...
Good article. I read that too........

But it's not the be-all and end-all. The comments after it bring up some good points. Each person is truly different. I am the more laid-back type and truly believe:

1. You can't fight City Hall (from experience).
2. Why start down a road that leads to either nowhere...or to an unknown?

Now, if I were that raped woman and the dude was dating around...well, then the circumstances might differ.

I'm only happy that I don't have to make such decisions. But if I had to....I certainly wouldn't want to be blamed (as the victim). Basically you are in a "can't win" position. Maybe in a few years she will see their marriage broke up due to domestic abuse??

I mean....REAL Rape is pretty dang serious. We're not talking "no but maybe yes" or "3rd base by not all the way".....if we are talking about fully forced consensual intercourse using violence or strength....in my book that's pretty bad.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
What I believe is that we have here are promiscuous girls who like to drink who then feel guilty the next day and try to undo the deed they feel they've done by claiming rape. It happens. I'd bet that girls in the era felt like they were bad if they were sexually active. Then they blame it on the boys.

Let's hope none of you who have already convicted Kavanaugh are ever accused on such baseless claims.

Don't know if this has been posted.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-ka...ews-interview/
Notice that stories are changing fast ...... they are afraid of the FBI and prison sentences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies