Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 12:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,341,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
You do realize that the undocumented workers are doing jobs that no one else will take. Right? Slaughterhouses, farm worker, house framers, concrete workers, etc.

Somebody needs to do those jobs and the wages will necessarily rise until someone fills them. Illegal workers depress the wages for these industries effectively subsidizing everyone else at the expense of people that would take them if the pay was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 12:38 AM

34,308 posts, read 17,439,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When that unemployed roofer who was a life long Democrat is looking out his front window as a new roof is going on his neighbors house using illegal immigrant workers he's not living in a worker's paradise.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Lol- How do you explain subsidies to Big Oil . Agriculture and organized Religion?

The "subsidies" to oil are tax breaks that work out to fractions of a penny per gallon.

The agriculture subsidies are clearly something that needs to be looked at however the reason for their existence is to insure the food supply and to keep food prices low. Before the subsidies if the farming industry has a bad growing season the value of the product is high but there is little product to sell. If there is a good growing season they have plenty of product but it could be worthless. This is something completely out of their control and if left to their own means they would palnt far less than they do now. The subsidies are there to insure they overplant guaranteeing plenty of product and low food prices.

Organized religion receives no special treatment by the IRS or any other taxing body, they are treated exactly the same as any other non-profit organization. Any tax laws you wish to apply to the church would need to be applied to all non-profits.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:53 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,779,751 times
The dems used to support blue collar workers, but now they support globalization and illegal immigration. Those two caused many of our well paying jobs to disappear. And the dems belittle those who lost their job because their company moved to China, or an illegal immigrant replaced them for lower wages. It's like they want us to compete with workers in China who only make pennies per hour, or unskilled illegal immigrants.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:05 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,779,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Pass laws allowing an employer to fire a worker for any reason whatsoever, or no reason at all, and make sure the worker has no legal recourse.
If you don't like with what you're getting paid, you have the freedom to find another job that pays more.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
This isn't really surprising. People in "Rural America" don't really have much in common with the Democratic Party anymore.

It's not just rural, it also includes a lot of small towns and cities. In Northeast Pennsylvanian you have Luzerne and Lacakwanna counties with the small cities of Wilkes-Barre and Scranton. Total population between the two counties is about 500K.

If you go back ten years the Democrats held a 2:1 advantage with registered voters in Luzerne County and it's been like that forever. That has almost evaporated. Obama won here easily in both elections, that got flipped for Trump's election. In fact the margin of victory for Trump in PA can almost entirely be attributed to Northeastern Pennsylvania. It's no coincidence Trump made two stops here during his campaign one of which was the night before the election.

The Dmocrats just aren't getting it and as the move further to the left they are going to continue to lose voters.

I'll tell you the race to watch here in PA, Barletta Vs. Casey. Casey is an entrenched Democrat who is going to be very difficult to unseat but just like the presidential election I think this is going to be much closer than anticipated.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:57 AM

11,124 posts, read 5,657,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I don't think Obama gave a damn about the working class. I think he felt they were a lost cause, and not worth the effort or hassle to fight for.

Trump has nothing to lose. He's an old man. He is willing to sacrifice it all for the working class, even though it's not a profitable venture. It's about doing the right thing and working for the people, not the corporate sponsors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There’s a sucker born every minute.

You don't really think that the first-quoted poster believes any of what he's saying? It's just a variety of Stockholm Syndrome, where the victims side with their captors or oppressors.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:15 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,429,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Is that you, Mitt?

Allow me to translate your little post: "Our poor people are lazy and refuse to do hard work." Amazing.

The Democratic Party, my party, is now led by upper-middle class snobs who look down on the working class (deplorables). In my lifetime, I never saw a more "classist" campaign than Hillary's. It was dripping with this brand of snobbiness. Little wonder the Democratc brand is about as popular as a rich case of gonorrhea generally among the working class. Certainly among rural folks.
Lol, don’t be fooled. The GOP looks down on them too, Democrats have just gotten lazy but Republicans will use a few double negatives and the word “liberal elite” to make people in rural parts of the country feel like they’re on their side. People here (DC) and NYC, the two epicenters of politics, live in a bubble. Even I did and it took Clinton losing in ‘16 for me to realize that. On both sides, we have no clue what people in rural parts are going through - notice how Trump was the only person to mention trade, etc during the primaries, Republicans were just as out of touch too.

The sad part is the GOP doesn’t care, they have no interest in “draining the swamp” because what they don’t tell their voters, who obviously don’t do their own research for themselves is they’re getting rich off of the swamp too, look at all the people Trump has fired including Pruitt most recently. Rural America has been abandoned by both parties for the upper-middle class and more educated areas and the sad part is the GOP has somehow convinced them that they care about their issues when they don’t, they including Trump are taking advantage of them, the tax bill which was nothing more than handout to the wealthy and large corporations is exhibit A.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:26 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,429,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's not just rural, it also includes a lot of small towns and cities. In Northeast Pennsylvanian you have Luzerne and Lacakwanna counties with the small cities of Wilkes-Barre and Scranton. Total population between the two counties is about 500K.

If you go back ten years the Democrats held a 2:1 advantage with registered voters in Luzerne County and it's been like that forever. That has almost evaporated. Obama won here easily in both elections, that got flipped for Trump's election. In fact the margin of victory for Trump in PA can almost entirely be attributed to Northeastern Pennsylvania. It's no coincidence Trump made two stops here during his campaign one of which was the night before the election.

The Dmocrats just aren't getting it and as the move further to the left they are going to continue to lose voters.

I'll tell you the race to watch here in PA, Barletta Vs. Casey. Casey is an entrenched Democrat who is going to be very difficult to unseat but just like the presidential election I think this is going to be much closer than anticipated.
True, I’m always open and admit that as a party we’ve really screwed up. I think somehow and maybe Nancy carries some of the blame as Leader, people think we look down on them and don’t care about their issues, that worries me because we have to win back those areas and I think the party has become way too complacent being the party of NYC and SF.

Even after the election, people in the party still don’t get how much work has to be done to rebuild trust with areas that used to vote so heavily for us. But I also think a lot of people in the party don’t care. It would never happen but we need to go back to the days of Howard Dean’s 50 State Strategy when he ran the DNC - I’m not sure if it would work today because the brand has become toxic outside of major cities and wealthy areas but it’s worth a try.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:18 AM

89,807 posts, read 45,457,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What I'm going to say will open up a can of worms, but here goes. When it comes to rural America, it depends on where you go. The Republican Party gets alot of votes in rural America through the Great Plains. There is one stark exception: Native American reservations, such as in the Dakotas and Oklahoma. Native Americans are in rural America in large proportions. Most vote Democrat.

In the southern states, the predominantly White rural areas vote Republican. In the South, especially Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, etc, there are alot of majority Black rural areas. And those areas are mostly voting Democrat.

Texas is very Republican in the rural areas with the exception of the border counties, with are often majority-Hispanic.
There's a corresponding pattern: Our country's blatantly, systemically, institutionally racist public education system has a lot to do with it.

The shocking disparity in NAEP 12th Grade proficiency scores by race/ethnicity

Look at the educational results of the minorities. And they're the same groups that overwhelmingly vote Dem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies