Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 02:00 PM

31,441 posts, read 22,436,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
As long as it ticks off libruls who cares if pollutes the environment, conservatives are immune to coal ash.
Well Republicans created the EPA, and this is what Democrats did with it. Along the same line as Obama and the Paris accord which saddled the US with massive restrictions and gave China, the worlds biggest polluter, a Pass to pollute even more until 2030. When I'm ready to believe a Democrat I'll join the Libyan people who the peace prize winning Obama destroyed

While many Republicans are Bafoons, the Democratic party is corrupt to the core, as evidenced by Democratic cities being the "Most corrupt" year in and year out. Chicago, no surprise is at the top of the list, almost every year

https://www.scribd.com/document/2669...8-Final-052715

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...o-animas-river
Attached Thumbnails
Meanwhile Back At The Ranch- EPA Eases Rules On Coal Ash Waste-epa.jpg  

Last edited by LS Jaun; 07-20-2018 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 02:01 PM

37,039 posts, read 31,292,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If that particular organization hasn't stopped operating in the meantime. As for the Love Canal cleanup, the government recovered barely 1/3rd of the costs. And you're not seeing the inhabitants of New York clamoring to remove toxic waste regulations from chemical manufacturing, are you?
Yes if the organization hasn't stopped operating. What do you want to happen if an organization goes under and can not pay back all the funds. And are you prepared to apply this to all federal funding realizing this is how America works. Federal and State funds are used for expenditures for all states and all people in the country.
Apparently you did not read the entire post.
What regulations are being removed from 2015 CCR?
Please site the toxic waste regulations that are being removed form the rules of coal ash waste.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:18 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,195,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So giving individual states control over coal plants and their waste products and the flexibility to determine and implement environmental protocols as opposed to a blanket protocols at the federal level is bad?
You realizing that is all they are doing. This bill is extending for one and one half years the time for coal waste storage to line all of their holding ponds and giving flexibility to individual states and utilities to implement specific environmental standards based on individual sites.
I don't know if you have ever dealt with state and federal regulations and permitting but its often a ridiculous cluster duck. My company has waited over two years for a federal permit for a job needing to be preformed in 2 months.

This bill does not release states and utilities from environmental protections or regulations it is just taking some of the federal mandates out of it. Do you really think the states do not want environmental standards.
In theory, I agree with you, and it'd be ideal to just let the states decide for themselves, but pollution and contamination are unique in that they aren't contained by discrete state boundaries, so neighboring states who may not consent to it may be affected as well.

That's why the "floor" established and agreed upon federally needs to be reasonably robust.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:25 PM

57,380 posts, read 26,496,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Well Republicans created the EPA, and this is what Democrats did with it. Along the same lines as Obama and the Paris accord which saddled the US with massive restrictions and gave China, the worlds biggest polluter, a Pass to pollute even more until 2030. When I'm ready to believe a Democrat I'll join the Libyan people who the peace prize winning Obama destroyed

While many Republicans are Bafoons, the Democratic party is corrupt to the core.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...o-animas-river
Some of the republicans have departed a long way from the bipartisan group that created the EPA. We were the largest polluter for a century as far as carbon emissions until China passed us by. Why shouldn't the worlds historical number one polluter be more responsible, rather unjust for us to say this is too much and not our problem at this point in time, deflect to China. Besides, is our water and air too clean, have we gone overboard on the environment.

Clean air and water are supported by a vast majority of Americans, the restrictions are not massive in any respect although I'm sure there have been mistakes. Strangely the right wing of the US GOP is out there on their own on this one, we should be leading the world.

You keep pointing to the Animus River to make your case which was in fact a mistake by the EPA but you are avoiding the lack of regulation in mining that led to the problem. I guess we need to let mining companies have their way, how else will we compete with China.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:54 PM

21,991 posts, read 15,818,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Most Trump supporters believe the Rapture is happening within the next few years so it really doesn't matter if they completely destroy the environment.
That does explain a lot.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:59 PM

79,911 posts, read 44,500,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Trump wants to see coal succeed. Every time it starts to have a little decline, he lets go of another policy -- trying to help out the coal industry.

It will never return to glory days.

Coal mining communities should be asking for government assistance to start new industries, opportunities for their young people.

It just won't go back to what it was -- ever.
You can't really start new industries in a lot of these places. I'm not where I can access it but would be happy to tomorrow. I've visited many of these places that have been abandoned photographing them. One I was asked how you get to it.

Drive Rt XX through Oak Hill until you come to this road that says "dead end". Drive down the 1 1/2 lane dirt road about 10 miles (the scenery is amazing though as it runs parallel to the New River). Get to the end and walk.

I plan on going back to find the old block buildings the coal operators had gun men staged during the coal wars.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:59 PM

47,132 posts, read 26,280,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes if the organization hasn't stopped operating. What do you want to happen if an organization goes under and can not pay back all the funds.
Gee, whatever can be done? Oh, here's a thought: Force companies to operate in a responsible manner and avoid the post-fact cleanup.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:17 AM

11,124 posts, read 5,653,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
With 20% of the vote, which just goes to prove that 20% is the political idiocy baseline figure.

That 20% is probably equal to the number who still support Trump in that state.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:48 AM

8,922 posts, read 5,678,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
A representative that represents blue states that already protect their environment? That will not be difficult to find AT ALL. Trump supporters want the freedom to pollute their own states; good. Just don't expect the rest of the country to pay for the cleanup and get used to living in and drinking the filth.

Sorry, I'm not that kind. Right now Trump supporters are applauding the rolling back of every environmental protection. They voted for this. That is fine by me. But they should not expect a penny to clean up the mess they begged to have. They think the Murrays and Blankenships are doing them a favor because they are not very smart. That is not my problem. If they are old enough to vote, they are old enough to live with the results they voted for. Let them applaud the increased pollution and let them live and pay the price (literally) as well. I'm looking forward to seeing the value of the land in environmentally protected states compared to these polluted pits. They so deserve it.

I'm looking forward to some huge environmental disaster becomes Trump's Katrina.
Trumps supporters will believe anything Trump says or does. This is no exception. When families are getting sick from their polluted ground water and complain. Trump will blame Obama or Hillary. The whole country will be on the hook for the cleanup. This Liar in Chief was the biggest mistake ever perpetrated on the country. He has stacked the deck with Swamp creatures. Now, we have to live with it for a while. Remember this when it’s time to vote....

Old 07-21-2018, 05:52 AM

59,543 posts, read 27,793,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Trump wants to see coal succeed. Every time it starts to have a little decline, he lets go of another policy -- trying to help out the coal industry.

It will never return to glory days.

Coal mining communities should be asking for government assistance to start new industries, opportunities for their young people.

It just won't go back to what it was -- ever.
"Trump wants to see coal succeed"

I don't know about "succeed" but, I think he DOES want them to stay in busness until a replacement is found. We CANNOT just STOP using coal.

If we did, where would we get our energy?

I am all FOR solar and wind but they are NOT prepared to fulfill our requirements.

I am FOR nuclear. When was the last nuclear plant built?

So, what is YOUR solution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies