Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:06 AM

53,610 posts, read 35,402,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Why would I want to travel to polluted places? If red states want to pollute their environment, I say go ahead, just don't ask for my tax dollars to clean it up later. If they break it, they can pay to fix it.
you have no say over how or where your tax dollars are spent. you are free to complain, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 11:07 AM

47,140 posts, read 26,290,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He did come in third. (Out of three)
With 20% of the vote, which just goes to prove that 20% is the political idiocy baseline figure.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:08 AM

21,991 posts, read 15,821,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you have no say over how or where your tax dollars are spent. you are free to complain, however.
I can elect representatives that promise not to support any tax dollars going to red states to clean up messes they CHOSE TO MAKE. These ridiculous red states poisoning their own environment are free to do it, have at it. But don't expect others to have a spec of sympathy for them, they deserve to live in the filth they voted for and created.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:13 AM

53,610 posts, read 35,402,778 times
Quote:
I can elect representatives that promise not to support any tax dollars going to red states to clean up messes they CHOSE TO MAKE. These ridiculous red states poisoning their own environment are free to do it, have at it. But don't expect others to have a spec of sympathy for them, they deserve to live in the filth they voted for and created.
first you'll have to find such a representative. then that representative will have to win office.

then they'll have to get specific legislation passed.

not gonna happen. you'll just have to keep stewing and fretting and desperately hoping some 'trumpers' will receive what you consider their just desserts

Old 07-20-2018, 11:15 AM

47,140 posts, read 26,290,770 times
Quote:
I’m fine with red states poisoning their environment as long as they stay out of mine.
I'm not. When the Murrays and Blankenships of this world retire to places far from the coal ash heaps, the problem remains. And the red states will come to you and me with their hands out, because they're poor, their kids and wildlife are dying, and we'll have to set up Superfund sites.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:33 AM

37,049 posts, read 31,307,509 times
Quote:
Well one, this is the UNITED STATES of AMERICA not the red states and the blue states of America.
Its obvious you know absolutely nothing about federal and state environmental regulations or the pollutants in your own state. Any state that has any manufacturing is going to have waste products that contaminate the environment.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:37 AM

18,588 posts, read 9,308,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well one, this is the UNITED STATES of AMERICA not the red states and the blue states of America.
Its obvious you know absolutely nothing about federal and state environmental regulations or the pollutants in your own state. Any state that has any manufacturing is going to have waste products that contaminate the environment.
More realistically it’s the Divided Tribes of America, with each tribe fighting for political and cultural hegemony over the nominal United States of America. Right now, the conservative white Christians are still in charge, but that hegemony is eroding.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:45 AM

21,991 posts, read 15,821,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
first you'll have to find such a representative. then that representative will have to win office.

then they'll have to get specific legislation passed.

not gonna happen. you'll just have to keep stewing and fretting and desperately hoping some 'trumpers' will receive what you consider their just desserts
A representative that represents blue states that already protect their environment? That will not be difficult to find AT ALL. Trump supporters want the freedom to pollute their own states; good. Just don't expect the rest of the country to pay for the cleanup and get used to living in and drinking the filth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'm not. When the Murrays and Blankenships of this world retire to places far from the coal ash heaps, the problem remains. And the red states will come to you and me with their hands out, because they're poor, their kids and wildlife are dying, and we'll have to set up Superfund sites.
Sorry, I'm not that kind. Right now Trump supporters are applauding the rolling back of every environmental protection. They voted for this. That is fine by me. But they should not expect a penny to clean up the mess they begged to have. They think the Murrays and Blankenships are doing them a favor because they are not very smart. That is not my problem. If they are old enough to vote, they are old enough to live with the results they voted for. Let them applaud the increased pollution and let them live and pay the price (literally) as well. I'm looking forward to seeing the value of the land in environmentally protected states compared to these polluted pits. They so deserve it.

I'm looking forward to some huge environmental disaster becomes Trump's Katrina.

Last edited by Seacove; 07-20-2018 at 11:54 AM..

Old 07-20-2018, 12:15 PM

18,588 posts, read 9,308,804 times
Quote:
Why would I want to travel to polluted places? If red states want to pollute their environment, I say go ahead, just don't ask for my tax dollars to clean it up later. If they break it, they can pay to fix it.
You missed the point. Either way, Big Coal wins because they have the money to buy the politicians. The common people in coal country are screwed regardless of which party they vote for.

Coal country used to be heavily Democratic, back when the Democratic Party was still the party of working people. The Democrats abandoned the working class decades ago. Right now, the only difference between the Democrats and Republicans is their stance on cultural issues. On economic issues, both parties are pro-business and anti-worker. And why shouldn’t they be? Who do you think pays for their campaigns? It isn’t poor working people.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:18 PM

45,671 posts, read 24,220,438 times
Trump wants to see coal succeed. Every time it starts to have a little decline, he lets go of another policy -- trying to help out the coal industry.

It will never return to glory days.

Coal mining communities should be asking for government assistance to start new industries, opportunities for their young people.

It just won't go back to what it was -- ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies