Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 08:39 AM

12,772 posts, read 8,005,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
"the system" is the problem. Stop relying on a system that socializes the negative outcomes of behaviors and genetic traits. Do you think a committee of bureaucrats (whether it be private or public sector) can or should determine the health needs for 320 million individuals?
Nope, I definitely don't. Like I said before though I don't foresee that going away, so there at least needs to be some control on how people will vote to steal my money (via taxes) to pay for their health care when they aren't even doing the basics to remain healthy and lower costs. But by saying that I don't want to pay for their poor choices, I'm a selfish animal, its a no win situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 08:45 AM

45,304 posts, read 26,567,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Nope, I definitely don't. Like I said before though I don't foresee that going away, so there at least needs to be some control on how people will vote to steal my money (via taxes) to pay for their health care when they aren't even doing the basics to remain healthy and lower costs. But by saying that I don't want to pay for their poor choices, I'm a selfish animal, its a no win situation.
Its been proven that you cant have a little bit of government (control) in any sector. Once its in it grows like cancer. We can agree on some level, but Ill coninue to believe the only cure is to to eradicate it completely.
An advocating people be in control their own destiny is anything but selfish.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:48 AM

12,772 posts, read 8,005,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Its been proven that you cant have a little bit of government (control) in any sector. Once its in it grows like cancer. We can agree on some level, but Ill coninue to believe the only cure is to to eradicate it completely.
An advocating people be in control their own destiny is anything but selfish.
We 100% agree on that, but like I said I just don't see it actually happening.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:49 AM

20,736 posts, read 19,424,753 times
The "guidance" has not gotten any better.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:50 AM

45,304 posts, read 26,567,165 times
Quote:
We 100% agree on that, but like I said I just don't see it actually happening.
Not willingly, the masses have been buffaloed for too long. It will happen after its bankrupted and collapses and probably not in our time, but the writing is on the wall.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:03 AM

36,778 posts, read 31,062,836 times
Quote:
Agree, but since that will unfortunately never happen, there needs to be accountability for those who stress the system the most with their unhealthy lifestyles.
So then should we scrutinize and tax just peoples waistlines or the other lifestyle choices that contribute to the top healthcare taxing medical conditions. Alcohol consumption, smoking and exercise contributes to a large percentage of the top conditions. Do we hold people accountable for that. And hereditary conditions, mental illness, childbirth.
So we force people to buy medical insurance then charge them more if they use it but discourage them from using it by monitoring their eating habits, weight, alcohol consumption, smoking, mental health, genetics and reproduction.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:04 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,785,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Smokers have been paying higher premiums for 18 +/- years.
Cool.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Being high is not a crime unless your driving.

Buying, selling, possessing may or may not be a crimes dependent on geography and substance.
But should routine drug testing be part of insurance screenings? Those people should pay more too right?

Old 07-16-2018, 09:06 AM

36,778 posts, read 31,062,836 times
Quote:

So you feel you are paying for everyone's healthcare? How much you chipping in on my premium?

Old 07-16-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
In the Individual Plan Market, premiums are determined by age and geography.

Older insured people pay higher premiums than younger people.
Smokers pay more than non- smokers.

Why not base on waist sizes in the healthy range vs unhealthy, regardless of age?

Why take a simple waist measure to the extreme of monitoring your food choices?

The former is practical. The latter, not so much.
But if the issue is about which costs insurance companies more, shouldn't you pick the best correlating variable rather than the easiest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies