Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 11:52 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,959,553 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK TIMES

WASHINGTON — The Environmental Protection Agency has canceled the speaking appearance of three agency scientists who were scheduled to discuss climate change at a conference on Monday in Rhode Island, according to the agency and several people involved...

Under Mr. Pruitt’s leadership the E.P.A. also has removed most mentions of the words “climate change” from its website. He has declined to link carbon dioxide emissions to global warming, and in an interview with Time magazine last week said he intended to assemble a team of independent experts to challenge established climate science because, Mr. Pruitt asserted, it has not yet been subject to “a robust, meaningful debate.”

This is as unconscionable as it is unbelievable. Censoring scientific research and slapping a gag order on scientists who work for the EPA and NOAA is NOT going to make America "great again." Rather such restrictions on science will send the US in a tailspin back to the dark ages. China, ironically one of the worst polluters on the face of the earth, is all too eager to take over the lead role in global climate talks; stepping neatly into the vacuum created by Trump's withdrawal from the Paris Accords.

This is what happens when you hire the world's biggest alligator on record - Rex Tillerson (chairman of and CEO of Exxon Mobile) to come swim in your swamp under the guise of Secretary of State. Poor lil' Exxon - you've been hiding the truth about climate change since way back in the 1980's when your own scientists informed you of the results of their work on climate and CO2 emissions. Nice job, guys. NOT!

Pruitt is either a complete idiot when it comes to science or else his boss has ordered him to continue on with the cover-up for as long as possible - probably both.

Believe it or not, scientific research and investigation is the epitome of "robust, meaningful debate." Scientists publish the details of their work in peer-reviewed journals dedicated to their particular field of scientific endeavor. A board of scientists who work in the same field as does the scientist who has made a submission for publication, review the paper for accuracy and protocols. If the paper is accepted and published, other scientists must be able to replicate the results themselves; otherwise the original researcher finds herself discredited and outed by her peers as a charlatan.

If those 3 EPA scientists got up in front of the attendees at today's conference and started spewing "fake" science, we other scientists would see that right away and would publicly challenge their conclusions.

This censorship by Scott Pruitt is simply unacceptable, especially since the 3 scientists in question are biologists and ecologists. We need to study the response to climate change by as many species as possible in order to be prepared for what is yet to come and to be able to compensate as much as possible for on-going extinctions and loss of habitat.

If you like to eat, thank a scientist - don't put a muzzle on their face.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 10-23-2017 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: to fix link address

Old 10-23-2017, 12:01 PM

52,878 posts, read 34,736,201 times
Quote:
If you like to eat, thank a scientist - don't put a muzzle on their face.
how do EPA scientists contribute to my eating

Old 10-23-2017, 12:07 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,842,185 times
Republican climate policy: "What climate change? Jesus is coming soon so it doesn't matter."

Old 10-23-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
how do EPA scientists contribute to my eating
My apologies. The link I first gave was broken. I fixed it now, and you should be able to read the entire story, including this sentence:

Monday’s conference is designed to draw attention to the health of Narragansett Bay, the largest estuary in New England and a key to the region’s tourism and fishing industries.

Oceans everywhere are not only being over-fished, they are increasing in sea water temperature due to global warming. Cold water loving species of fish - wild salmon, for example - are declining in population numbers, and some are going extinct. This is bad news not only for those who like the occasional fish fry, but also for peoples like the Inuit whose diet is heavily supplemented by ocean going species of fish.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:28 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,189,460 times
I guess science that supports climate change isn't PC.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,926,732 times
it isnt the science, its the political conclusions that result from the science. as i have said, science needs to be completely free of politics in order to be truly effective, and truly honest.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it isnt the science, its the political conclusions that result from the science. as i have said, science needs to be completely free of politics in order to be truly effective, and truly honest.
Scientists are interested in the pursuit of knowledge. If they were interested in politics, they'd be running for office. You can believe that the speed of light is actually 1,000,000 miles per second because you are hoping to get funding for a spaceship to travel to Alpha Centauri, but the law's the law. ‎186,000 miles per second is not only a safe space flight velocity, it's the LAW whether you believe it or not.

The science of climatology has its bedrock in the laws of physics. For example, you cannot pick out which laws of thermodynamics are convenient for your own purposes and disregard the rest. The laws of thermodynamics don't give a damn what any human thinks about them, they remain the same, regardless.

It is the politicians and the big carbon energy companies who stand to lose billions of dollars who have decided to politicize science in the name of short-term profits, and future generations on this earth can go to hell.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:48 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,683,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Republican climate policy: "What climate change? Jesus is coming soon so it doesn't matter."
Democrat climate change policy: "Redistribute wealth!"

Old 10-23-2017, 12:54 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,762,881 times
The EPA previously muzzled all research, data & opinions from their scientists who were skeptical of AGW. This is nothing new at the EPA. Since the scientific method was not followed on climate change for some reason, many of the EPA scientists wanted to inject scientific debate back into the process of science. The response they received was "A decision to move forward has already been made".

Old 10-23-2017, 01:06 PM

10,512 posts, read 5,189,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
The conclusion of the overwhelming number of scientists and many thousands of rigorous academic studies that mankind's burning of fossil fuels is rapidly altering our weather and climate. Those conclusions are "truly honest," factual, objective and free from politics.

Manmade climate change is common sense -- the world is burning over 1,000 barrels of oil per second. You can't pump that much CO2 into the air and not have the climate change. The atmosphere is not an unlimited resource; seen from space, you can see how thin the layer of air is around the globe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies