Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,286,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I guess people are too lazy to type out "gas guzzler".
I can agree with that. But now, define Gas Guzzler?

We have two SUV - His and Hers. Both are Volvo XC90's. Both get around 27/28 on the highway. We are very pleased with that. I don't consider that a gas guzzler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 05:33 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,578,185 times
As Bob Brinker has been saying for years now, it's a shame that the government didn't gradually require automakers to add a half gallon of efficiency per year starting 20 years ago or more. If this would have happened, we would not be in the mess we are in now with gasoline prices. Everybody knew this was going to happen. But then again, when you make 100,000 or more a year with a guaranteed pension the rest of your life I suppose that gas prices don't make that much of a difference.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:36 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,238,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
When will the feds require 35 mpg on all vehicles
I don't believe that it for all vehicles, I think that the average for all sales by manufacturer are supposed to hit this target. Though I don't know the specifics associated with the legislation, I imagine there is a fine or tax for shortfalls.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:01 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,014,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I don't believe that it for all vehicles, I think that the average for all sales by manufacturer are supposed to hit this target. Though I don't know the specifics associated with the legislation, I imagine there is a fine or tax for shortfalls.
The new rules have not yet been developed.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:53 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,723,790 times
I like my 5000lb luxury cars... they range from 12mpg to 25mpg. I work to fill my tanks. The day somebody tells me I can't drive my automobiles is the day somebody gets hurt.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:44 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,400,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I like my 5000lb luxury cars... they range from 12mpg to 25mpg. I work to fill my tanks. The day somebody tells me I can't drive my automobiles is the day somebody gets hurt.
That, JTraik, is why the market needs to be the one to tell you to downsize. Gas is still pretty cheap here because of tax breaks and subsidies. If those go away, it might get tougher to fill those cars.

I drive a fairly big American car with a V6. I'm not a Prius guy. I do try to make difference when I can, though. I work from home. I take the train and the bus. I know I'm lucky in that regard. Not everyone has that choice.

Still, sometimes it isn't about the fuel economy, but about overall consumption. In my opinion, that speaks to a larger idea of personal responsibility.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:01 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,017,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Why should the Government tell us what we can and can not drive? Sure it's great that people want to drive Hybrids and my wife and I drive vehicles that get good gas miliage, but who am I, or the Gov't for that matter to tell someone they can't drive a car that gets less than 35mpg. If they want to watse their money so be it.
The government wouldn't be telling you what kind of car you can drive!! If you have an older car it is what it is.. they would be setting the standard for NEW cars being developed at 35 mpg!!

Silly goose

Old 02-27-2008, 08:05 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,017,340 times
Quote:

Why are you all thining that the government is going to suddenly tell you you can't drive the car you already have because it doesn't meat the MPG standard that they would set..

It's simply setting the standard for all NEW cars being developed from the day the plan is implemented..

Eventually when our older cars die and we need newer ones.. we'll be buying whatever car we want.. but that car will be getting no less than 35 mpg.. that's all!

Geez louise.. are you all so paranoid about "big brother government" that every post you read is about gov't telling you what you can or can't do..

Old 02-27-2008, 08:19 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,723,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
That, JTraik, is why the market needs to be the one to tell you to downsize. Gas is still pretty cheap here because of tax breaks and subsidies. If those go away, it might get tougher to fill those cars.
As an enthusiast, the tanks will ALWAYS be full. However I plan on up-sizing with my next purchase... a 6000lb truck!!! I have a bio-diesel lab in the works and I will be powering my truck off of that hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Eventually when our older cars die and we need newer ones.. we'll be buying whatever car we want.. but that car will be getting no less than 35 mpg.. that's all!

Geez louise.. are you all so paranoid about "big brother government" that every post you read is about gov't telling you what you can or can't do..
Then there are those of use who will keep rebuilding our cars until we die I think there are a lot of people gung-ho about economic cars that are forgetting to look at it from an enthusiasts point of view. Its like replacing a breeder's thoroughbred with a draft animal.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,286,148 times
Quote:
As an enthusiast, the tanks will ALWAYS be full. However I plan on up-sizing with my next purchase... a 6000lb truck!!! I have a bio-diesel lab in the works and I will be powering my truck off of that hopefully.
I also appreciate the fact that the tax code essentially paid me to buy our SUV's - with the tax credits and tax deductions - both vehicles were literally free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies