Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the IRS violates consitutional rights?
Yes 27 64.29%
No 14 33.33%
I don't care 0 0%
What?! 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:05 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,499,727 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what are your opinions? (as pertaining to the "involuntary" federal income tax on earned wages)

Thanks!

B.G.F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 07:57 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,403,250 times
I think a lot of things the government does violates the Constitution. As for taxes, some religions get tax breaks differently then others, as do some people. The IRS Tax Code is 65,000 pages long, whereas the U.S. Constitution is only one page. I think this is government run amok. If you started reading it now, one page every 2 minutes, 8 hours a day, you wouldn't finish until after the next Presidential election. I'd like to see them get back to the Constitution and start over. It's ridiculous!

Old 02-10-2008, 08:38 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,548,970 times
The tax code is complex because the economy is complex. Of the 65,000 total pages, how many apply to you? When was the last time you actually looked something up in the tax code? Have you ever held any part of it in your hands? Are you unaware of the fact that the IRS publishes specific line-by-line instructions for every form it produces?

On my word processor, by the way, the Constitution is checking out at about 7,600 words. What font size are you using to get all that onto a single page?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:53 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,184,455 times
Maybe he was thinking of The Declaration of Independence, it is 1 page. The original Constitution is 4 pages.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:01 AM

Compromise: The original U.S. Constitution is 4 pages long, with 4400 words. My mistake. Since then, they have amended a few things. As for taxes, I just pay what I have to and complain about it. Then I try to vote for a politician who will make the country better. Not doing very well so far, though.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:05 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,933,882 times
From what I have heard, when they implemented taxes in this country, it was only supposed to be temporary. I will have to do a little research to find out exactly what they were initially supposed to be for, unless someone else knows. They were never supposed to be a permanent fixture like today.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,548,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Compromise: The original U.S. Constitution is 4 pages long, with 4400 words. My mistake. Since then, they have amended a few things.
Hmmm. I don't think you're counting the signatures. That would knock it up closer to 4500. :-)

Quote:
As for taxes, I just pay what I have to and complain about it.
Yeah, I figure it all out and pay what I have to also. Then I sit back and realize how thankful I should be that the final number was as high as it was. Some people like to see that money as being stolen from them. As if they weren't gifted many times over by the rest of society just to be in the situations that they are in to begin with. Ingrates, basically. Anyway, I'm proud and happy to pay my taxes. Those are my part, and I'm happy to put it into the pot.

Quote:
Then I try to vote for a politician who will make the country better. Not doing very well so far, though.
I think I succeeded in voting for some people who would have made the country better than this. They didn't win, though. Maybe this time...

Old 02-10-2008, 10:01 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,499,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
From what I have heard, when they implemented taxes in this country, it was only supposed to be temporary. I will have to do a little research to find out exactly what they were initially supposed to be for, unless someone else knows. They were never supposed to be a permanent fixture like today.
From the bit i have studied, it came down to the "robber-barons" buying up all the land. So the 16th amendment was 'implemented' to save us (We, the People) from a minority. In other words, to stem a minority controlling the majority. That is the "Progressive tax of 1913".

You have to conclude at that time the wealthy who seek power by means of profit and interest. (still does...)That is what the 16th amendment is designed for, to curb, or check, if you will, the minority that was seeking to dicate things for the rest of the "commoners", or majority, if you will.

What is happening now is more of the same from those who are wealthy and seek power are dictating laws (see lobbyists) for a majority. The Federal government is getting bankrolled nowadays from all the hard-working people who earn a living with some kind of linear wage. This is not what the Founding Fathers have in mind for the common people to unintentionally bloat Federal government to where it's no longer recognizable or really doing its purpose in the grand scheme of things.

This is from what i gather..feel free to interject and tell me i'm "off my rocker".

Old 02-10-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
...Yeah, I figure it all out and pay what I have to also. Then I sit back and realize how thankful I should be that the final number was as high as it was...
Well said! It is necessary for taxes to pay for street upgrades, police protection, parks... I just wish the system of Checks and Balances was better. Having the "Separation of Powers" monitor each other seems like the fox guarding the henhouse. Maybe next election... Thanks.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:03 AM

310 posts, read 1,198,845 times
Of almost all of the government agency's I think the IRS is the most honest. If you owe money, pay it. If you overpay they give it back. But think about how many people rip off the IRS every year. EW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies