Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:58 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,041 times

Advertisements

To those who think our rights are being taken away because you don't like the government for the most part you are nuts BUT our Freedom of Speech has been thrown out the window recently.

South Park aired an episode titled 200 a few weeks ago which showed an image of Muslim profit (spelling?) Muhammad in it. Prior to episode 201 airing (the "sequel" or "follow up" to 200) the radical group Revolution Muslim posted on their website that they would kill Mr. Stone and Mr. Parker for their depiction of Muhammad in episode 200. Because of this threat Comedy Central "Bowed down" to these radicals (figuratively speaking) and completely censored the image of Muhammad in episode 201 and completely "bleeped out" the approximately two minute "moral of the story" speech given at the end by the characters in the episode. Comedy Central then went on to completely remove these two episodes from showing again on Comedy Central on their channel or anywhere online. Matt and Trey are currently trying to air the episodes again but CC won't let them. This is taking away Matt and Trey's right to say what they want to say in turn destroying our Freedom of Speech. I say, if you love America, or care about our constitution at all, you boycott Comedy Central to tell them it is not alright to eliminate our Freedom of Speech and it is not all right to give into to radical extremists.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:14 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,269,493 times
you forget, freedom of speech is between the govt and the people. There is nowhere in law that prevents a private individual/company/organization from censoring speech they don't agree with.

A private entity/corporation/business can censor you or anyone ALL they want.

Comedy Central has as much right to censor the "message" in that South Park episode as much as Matt and Trey had every right to make an episode that pokes fun at the Muslim religion

And Matt and Trey can post their episode uncensored anywhere they want. They do not have to air it on Comedy Central; Southpark has its own website; they can post it there. Vimeo and other video sharing sites can handle the episode. And if they want, release an UNCENOSRED special dvd of the episode.

NOTHING is preventing them from their "freedom" of speech except for themselves.

Like you, you can object to what Comedy Central did, and post everywhere you want that you hated their decision. Not that their decision was a good one, but it was their decision to make.

And I don't know anyone who still watches South Park; that series lost its appeal by the 4th season.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
you forget, freedom of speech is between the govt and the people. There is nowhere in law that prevents a private individual/company/organization from censoring speech they don't agree with.

A private entity/corporation/business can censor you or anyone ALL they want.

Comedy Central has as much right to censor the "message" in that South Park episode as much as Matt and Trey had every right to make an episode that pokes fun at the Muslim religion

And Matt and Trey can post their episode uncensored anywhere they want. They do not have to air it on Comedy Central; Southpark has its own website; they can post it there. Vimeo and other video sharing sites can handle the episode. And if they want, release an UNCENOSRED special dvd of the episode.

NOTHING is preventing them from their "freedom" of speech except for themselves.

Like you, you can object to what Comedy Central did, and post everywhere you want that you hated their decision. Not that their decision was a good one, but it was their decision to make.

And I don't know anyone who still watches South Park; that series lost its appeal by the 4th season.
If the site you are referring to is southparkstudios.com then no they actually can't post it there. This may be the outrage about this story. Is a private company allowed to step in and say what Matt and Trey can and can't post on their own website? This is what comes up when you try and watch the video on southparkstudios.com "We apologize that south park studios cannot stream episode 201 at this time. After we delivered the show, and prior to broadcast, comedy central placed numerous additional audio bleeps throughout the episode. We do not have network approval to stream our original version of the show. We will bring you version 201 as soon as we can." The only reason I could think of as to why they don't just air it anyway is because south park might be threatening Matt and Trey with their jobs. Is a private corporation allowed to threaten to fire someone (if this is the case) because they choose to post their copyrighted art online? I would have thought there would be laws to protect against that?

Old 06-26-2010, 01:34 AM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I'm not going to boycott anything, especially Comedy Central. I'm old enough to remember when Lucy and Ricky couldn't even sit on the same bed on TV, I hardly think what happened in a cartoon is a threat to anything. Life is a little bigger than that.

Besides, I'm not convinced it wasn't Trey and Matt themselves who did it just to get the publicity.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
If the site you are referring to is southparkstudios.com then no they actually can't post it there. This may be the outrage about this story. Is a private company allowed to step in and say what Matt and Trey can and can't post on their own website? This is what comes up when you try and watch the video on southparkstudios.com "We apologize that south park studios cannot stream episode 201 at this time. After we delivered the show, and prior to broadcast, comedy central placed numerous additional audio bleeps throughout the episode. We do not have network approval to stream our original version of the show. We will bring you version 201 as soon as we can." The only reason I could think of as to why they don't just air it anyway is because south park might be threatening Matt and Trey with their jobs. Is a private corporation allowed to threaten to fire someone (if this is the case) because they choose to post their copyrighted art online? I would have thought there would be laws to protect against that?
1) What prevents Matt and Trey opening their own site to post the episode (psst nothing). So if they can't use Southpark studios, the can open SouthParkStudios.hk and post it there.

2) DVD...what prevents them from releasing the episode on DVD? Can't stream it? fine. Do what other pissed off creators do when they dont get their way., Leak it to some Korean or Chinese fans and have them post it. It would be hell for Comedy Central to try and pull it from a Chinese / Korean hosted website.

I've been fighting with one particular Chinese file sharing site to pull down a copy of our video game for 2 years despite me sending them legal papers to do so

3) Private corporation can threaten and FIRE anyone they want. Anything that Mat t and Trey does that reflects badly on the coroporation can be grounds for termination and nullification of any contract. There are reasons why clauses for behavirou is written into contracts, especially entertainment ones. Also, the US is pretty much an "At will" employement nation. So the corporation doesn't need to have a reason to fire them.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm not going to boycott anything, especially Comedy Central. I'm old enough to remember when Lucy and Ricky couldn't even sit on the same bed on TV, I hardly think what happened in a cartoon is a threat to anything. Life is a little bigger than that.

Besides, I'm not convinced it wasn't Trey and Matt themselves who did it just to get the publicity.
You didn't choose to research these extremist's site for their threat? Why do you think they would be clarifying their threat post if they didn't post anything about south park? Revolution Muslim: Clarifying the South Park Response and Calling on Others to Join in the Defense of the Prophet Muhammad – RevolutionMuslim.com

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-26-2010 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: insulting

Old 06-26-2010, 01:53 AM

So, the title of this thread is not even appropriate. No "constitutional rights" were taken away, since the Govt wasn't involved in Matt and Trey's badly written humor jab and a religious figure.

Get back to us when you have proof that the govt did this, and not the choice of Comedy Central dealing with an issue being shown on THEIR network.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:58 AM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
You didn't choose to research these extremist's site for their threat? Why do you think they would be clarifying their threat post if they didn't post anything about south park? Revolution Muslim: Clarifying the South Park Response and Calling on Others to Join in the Defense of the Prophet Muhammad – RevolutionMuslim.com
I don't care who threatened what. That has nothing to do with my opinion or the fact that nobody can just do or say whatever they want on TV under "freedom of speech". A I didn't choose to read this site because, well hell, you didn't post until now. I'm bright, not a psychic. It doesn't change anything anyway. I think you are mistaking cartoons for politics.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-26-2010 at 05:19 AM..

Old 06-26-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't care who threatened what. That has nothing to do with my opinion or the fact that nobody can just do or say whatever they want on TV under "freedom of speech". I didn't choose to read this site because, well hell, you didn't post until now. I'm bright, not a psychic. It doesn't change anything anyway. I think you are mistaking cartoons for politics.
You don't have to be psychic when I name the group that made a death threat against these people in MY FIRST POST!

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-26-2010 at 05:19 AM..

Old 06-26-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
So, the title of this thread is not even appropriate. No "constitutional rights" were taken away, since the Govt wasn't involved in Matt and Trey's badly written humor jab and a religious figure.

Get back to us when you have proof that the govt did this, and not the choice of Comedy Central dealing with an issue being shown on THEIR network.
First off the government doesn't have to be involved when taking away rights. Secondly I made a mistake thinking that their freedom of speech was being taken away and you corrected me, happy now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies