Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:43 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
And do you like tablets because you don't have to tip or have to interact with the staff. Honestly, I love the staff. We always sit at the bar and get free drinks because we are there so often at many of these restaurants. Do tablets do that for you.
I'm with you, I'm a 'regular' at certain places. That means better tables, better service, custom orders...

A tablet can't do that for me, if I want that environment I'll go to Wendy's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 11:54 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
I know how the economy works. I don't think you do though. Trickle down doesn't work
Let me say this. I hate trickle-down economics with a fiery passion. And if it was up to me, I would abolish the Federal Reserve, and further, I would abolish all usury.

With that said, to say that trickle-down economics doesn't work, is to be blind to reality. Trickle-down economics works wonderfully. If it didn't work wonderfully, we wouldn't be using it.

The government is only concerned with economic growth. America needs economic growth to maintain its world economic hegemony(IE the American Empire). America always acts in the interest of economic growth, because America is run by the bankers/corporations, who want to seek greater and greater profits.

Trickle-down economics is wonderful from an economic perspective, it is garbage from a social perspective(IE gap between rich and poor, transferring greater power into the hands of bankers/corporations, etc).

Old 11-11-2015, 12:06 AM

1,431 posts, read 913,100 times
The people screaming for the $15 minimum wage want more money for unskilled labor. Why should they be rewarded when they strive for mediocrity? How about this: if you want to improve your quality of life, get a better job. Go to school and specialize in a high-demand field of employment. Or how about this: start your own business! Then when you get rich, give all your money away to less fortunate people. Watch how grateful they'll be and all the intelligent decisions they'll make with that money.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:08 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
The people screaming for the $15 minimum wage want more money for unskilled labor. Why should they be rewarded when they strive for mediocrity? How about this: if you want to improve your quality of life, get a better job. Go to school and specialize in a high-demand field of employment. Or how about this: start your own business! Then when you get rich, give all your money away to less fortunate people. Watch how grateful they'll be and all the intelligent decisions they'll make with that money.
The better question would be why do we consider $15/hr to be a high paying job? That isn't very much for someone to make it today's economy.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:18 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The better question would be why do we consider $15/hr to be a high paying job? That isn't very much for someone to make it today's economy.
Varies by region, 15/hr is a middle class wage in some places.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:28 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I don't care where someone lives, $15/hr is a low wage. As a full time job that comes to only $31K.

Well if one wishes to get technical, in 18 states, $31K a year would be on the low end of the middle class range, which raising minimum wage to $15/hr would greatly benefit those states as it would put a large percentage of their population into middle class. The other 32 states, $31K would still be below middle class range.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Yeah, $15 an hour is about $30k a year. The Median personal income(as opposed to household income) in 2005, for all workers over the age of 15, was $28,567. Wages have since remained fairly flat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._capita_income

In Mississippi, the median personal income is only $20k a year.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't care where someone lives, $15/hr is a low wage. As a full time job that comes to only $31K.

Well if one wishes to get technical, in 18 states, $31K a year would be on the low end of the middle class range, which raising minimum wage to $15/hr would greatly benefit those states as it would put a large percentage of their population into middle class. The other 32 states, $31K would still be below middle class range.
If the states could benefit from putting more of their population into the middle-class, why wouldn't they just put everyone in the upper class? Wouldn't that benefit them even more?

Secondly, you are talking about household income rather than personal income. Most households have more than one income earner(which is why household income is usually about twice as much as personal income).

I once lived in a house with six different income earners(me, my mother, my sister, her husband, a family friend, and his girlfriend). Altogether, on paper, we were raking in something like $120k a year. But, no one made more than $30k a year. I was only making about $10k a year.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:38 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
This country is over populated. There just aren't enough jobs to go around and yet you want more automation to put even more people out of work.
I do agree we have more people than jobs, but we can create jobs by investing in our infrastructure instead of spending trillions on wars we cannot win.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I do agree we have more people than jobs, but we can create jobs by investing in our infrastructure instead of spending trillions on wars we cannot win.
Well, you're both wrong. China has a population more than four times larger than the United States. It has far fewer natural resources, and less total arable land. There isn't a shortage of jobs. There are only ever a shortage of "high-paying jobs".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies