Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:16 PM

32,094 posts, read 15,089,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I value my time, and I get out faster via self checkout, tablets at restaurants, etc. Got out of Shop Rite after getting 12 items in under ten minutes tonight. I can't wait until restaurant tablets are the norm, and until RFID replaces self checkouts.

Maybe you value your time a little too much and don't stop to enjoy the pleasures of life. I would never go to a restaurant that has tablets. It's no different from going to a fast food restaurant. To each their own though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 11:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Maybe you value your time a little too much and don't stop to enjoy the pleasures of life. I would never go to a restaurant that has tablets. It's no different from going to a fast food restaurant. To each their own though.
Embrace the technology or be left by the wayside.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:19 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Quote:
[/b]

I have too little time, and plenty of interaction so I do not need more at a restaurant or store. I want to minimize the time spent as much as I can, so I adore these technological gains.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:25 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,219,058 times
Quote:
Not really. You blame it on government, I blame it on technology. Jobs are just not there like they used to be. So how do we help these people who have been replaced by technology.
There aren't as many "good jobs", or "high-paying jobs", but there are "jobs".

Lets understand that, an economy is built on a "division of labor". You only buy goods from someone else, if that person can make them more efficiently than you(IE cheaper), or at a higher-quality than you.

Basically, if you were earning $20 an hour, and it would take you an hour to complete some task. You would only hire someone else to do it, if they offered to work for less than $20 an hour.

This is why we have basically a "trickle-down" economic system. The system is designed to provide large amounts of capital for those at "the top", who will buy luxury goods from the upper-middle-class. And the upper-middle-class will buy goods/services produced by the middle-class, who will buy goods and services from the poor(IE minimum-wage workers).

If your goal is to "grow the economy". Then you want to encourage people to buy as many goods and services from each other as possible. But at the same time, you don't want stagnant wages, because stagnant wages would lead to stagnant growth.

Or in short, unemployment has less to do with simple market forces. It is almost entirely the result of government/monetary policy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nERTFo-Sk

Old 11-10-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I have too little time, and plenty of interaction so I do not need more at a restaurant or store. I want to minimize the time spent as much as I can, so I adore these technological gains.
So don't go to a restaurant. Eat at home or go to a vending machine if your time is so valuable. But I love to go to different restaurants....have a glass of wine and enjoy being with friends. And I want contact with a human. To not want that is weird to me

Old 11-10-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
There aren't as many "good jobs", or "high-paying jobs", but there are "jobs".

Lets understand that, an economy is built on a "division of labor". You only buy goods from someone else, if that person can make them more efficiently than you(IE cheaper), or at a higher-quality than you.

Basically, if you were earning $20 an hour, and it would take you an hour to complete some task. You would only hire someone else to do it, if they offered to work for less than $20 an hour.

This is why we have basically a "trickle-down" economic system. The system is designed to provide large amounts of capital for those at "the top", who will buy luxury goods from the upper-middle-class. And the upper-middle-class will buy goods/services produced by the middle-class, who will buy goods and services from the poor(IE minimum-wage workers).

If your goal is to "grow the economy". Then you want to encourage people to buy as many goods and services from each other as possible. But at the same time, you don't want stagnant wages, because stagnant wages would lead to stagnant growth.

Or in short, unemployment has less to do with simple market forces. It is almost entirely the result of government policy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nERTFo-Sk
I know how the economy works. I don't think you do though. Trickle down doesn't work

Old 11-10-2015, 11:30 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Quote:
So don't go to a restaurant. Eat at home or go to a vending machine if your time is so valuable. But I love to go to different restaurants....have a glass of wine and enjoy being with friends. And I want contact with a human. To not want that is weird to me
No I will do as I please, not as you please. I will enjoy the spread of technology and do frequent already many restaurants (some non chain) who have added tablets for ordering.

I enjoy going with friends to dine, to be with them, not with wait staff. I dine out at minimum 5 nights per week, though, so I also look to save time.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
No I will do as I please, not as you please. I will enjoy the spread of technology and do frequent already many restaurants (some non chain) who have added tablets for ordering.

I enjoy going with friends to dine, to be with them, not with wait staff. I dine out at minimum 5 nights per week, though, so I also look to save time.
And do you like tablets because you don't have to tip or have to interact with the staff. Honestly, I love the staff. We always sit at the bar and get free drinks because we are there so often at many of these restaurants. Do tablets do that for you.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:40 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
Quote:
I value my time, and I get out faster via self checkout, tablets at restaurants, etc. Got out of Shop Rite after getting 12 items in under ten minutes tonight. I can't wait until restaurant tablets are the norm, and until RFID replaces self checkouts.
That is fine, some people like dealing with machines and some prefer to deal with actual humans. I prefer humans over machines.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:42 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
It's minimum wage for a reason. 15 dollars is way to high!
Not really, 15/hr isn't a high paying job anywhere you live these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies