Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 04:55 PM

31,425 posts, read 22,420,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
If he can get it on a plane
You can't even get past the TSA with one of these
Attached Thumbnails
Ahmed didn't actually build clock. It's just a disassembled, store-bought clock.-ray-gun.jpg  

Old 09-29-2015, 04:56 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,901,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You do realize that all he did was remove six screws and place the components in a box?

He didn't make a single modification other than removing the original cover.

It would be more logical for me to be called an inspiring chef for removing a frozen pizza and placing it the oven. At least I'd be furthering development of that particular pizza.
None of that is actually known. He did for instance mount the display with screws which can plainly be seen.

Can't really tell whether other stuff is mounted or not or if he modified anything. Skeptical any of the commentators I have read so far know either. And I do understand this stuff and how it works.

One of the reasons I am so skeptical of you guys who have this all figured out. i know what can be discovered from the picture and you all know much more than the picture yields.

Do not misunderstand. I am very skeptical about how smart this kid actually is over the "invention" remarks. Some who have talked to him have indicated he is bright. But I am not sure any of them are qualified or have enough exposure to reach that conclusion. He talks about soldering and microprocessors and such but has not shown anything so far of significance. Note by the way a simple microprocessor clock and display would have looked virtually the same to the English Teacher though they would have been more significant an accomplishment.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:08 PM

34,618 posts, read 21,762,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
None of that is actually known. He did for instance mount the display with screws which can plainly be seen.

Can't really tell whether other stuff is mounted or not or if he modified anything. Skeptical any of the commentators I have read so far know either. And I do understand this stuff and how it works.

One of the reasons I am so skeptical of you guys who have this all figured out. i know what can be discovered from the picture and you all know much more than the picture yields.

Do not misunderstand. I am very skeptical about how smart this kid actually is over the "invention" remarks. Some who have talked to him have indicated he is bright. But I am not sure any of them are qualified or have enough exposure to reach that conclusion. He talks about soldering and microprocessors and such but has not shown anything so far of significance. Note by the way a simple microprocessor clock and display would have looked virtually the same to the English Teacher though they would have been more significant an accomplishment.
There are several photos on the internet of the exact clock he used taken out of the cover. Compare it to the picture of his clock and it's very obvious that screwing the display into place was all he did.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:09 PM

13,371 posts, read 22,011,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That is what I did as a kid. I would disassemble electronics components and see how they worked, and then make my own gadgets. It was a blast. It's how young inquisitive minds learn how things work.
What's with these people? He didn't disassemble the clock and use the components in a different way. That would take an understanding of the components and circuitry. Instead, he took the entire assembled clock out of the plastic case and put it in a pencil box. There's absolutely no understanding of any of the components necessary, no understanding of the circuitry and nothing new was built. LVOC says the same thing.

These guys are claiming to have electronic experience, and yet seem to have zero understanding of electronics. Either that or they are purposefully playing dumb so that they can play the race card. It's stupid and disingenuous.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:09 PM

11,184 posts, read 6,547,787 times
Quote:
Sorry this is very simple stuff. If you want a hoax bomb you need a hoax explosive. Even the cartoons need that. An alarm clock does not a bomb make. But attached it to a few sticks of dynamite, real or phony and you got a bomb. You are claiming basically the hoax requires only the alarm clock. Does not work in a cartoon why would it in real life?
You're babbling again. The 'hoax' bomb concept is a device a person uses to cause alarm or a reaction as though the item is an explosive or incendiary device. You don't need a fake explosive.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You can't even get past the TSA with one of these
A guy in Scotland caused shutdown of Edinburgh Airport because he had one of these in his suitcase:

Old 09-29-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
There are several photos on the internet of the exact clock he used taken out of the cover. Compare it to the picture of his clock and it's very obvious that screwing the display into place was all he did.
I did. It is not. There is not enough views in the picture to tell. Note that until I just brought it up there has not been a single mention of the screws securing the display.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:20 PM

34,618 posts, read 21,762,288 times
Quote:
I did. It is not. There is not enough views in the picture to tell. Note that until I just brought it up there has not been a single mention of the screws securing the display.
I yield. I forgot he is 14-years-old, and clearly any 14-year-old who can screw something in is pretty gifted, if not a true genius.

I'd say if he had also used a label make to put a 'Clock' sticker on the outside of the case, he should receive a full scholarship to MIT. Hopefully, he can acquire that skill in his post graduate studies.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You're babbling again. The 'hoax' bomb concept is a device a person uses to cause alarm or a reaction as though the item is an explosive or incendiary device. You don't need a fake explosive.
Oh I see. Whenever you cannot refute your opponent is "babbling". Your private form of babbling?

You don't hoax a bomb without making it look like a bomb. If you were trying to do so the last person you would initially show it to is a person who will know what it actually is. It does not appear to be disputed that the kid showed it first to such a knowledgable person. That is incompatible with a hoax bomb.

The device is also physically incompatible with a hoax bomb as it obviously has no provision for an explosive or any mechanism that would approximate a detanator.

As I said before would you presume a freestanding alarm clock in a cartoon was a bomb? I would not.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Oh I see. Whenever you cannot refute your opponent is "babbling". Your private form of babbling?

You don't hoax a bomb without making it look like a bomb. If you were trying to do so the last person you would initially show it to is a person who will know what it actually is. It does not appear to be disputed that the kid showed it first to such a knowledgable person. That is incompatible with a hoax bomb.

The device is also physically incompatible with a hoax bomb as it obviously has no provision for an explosive or any mechanism that would approximate a detanator.

As I said before would you presume a freestanding alarm clock in a cartoon was a bomb? I would not.
The engineering teacher advised Cboy that others in the school might not know what it was, and become suspicious. So what does Genius do ? Keeps it in an enclosed case, carries it around, and brings it to a class where an English teacher hears it ticking.

In a way, I understand why the term 'hoax bomb' is misleading you and many others. In the law and school policy, a device doesn't have to precisely resemble a bomb before schools or police can investigate and question.

Since the family won't let records be released of their son's interaction during questioning, I hope a judge eventually forces their release in a trial, or somebody leaks them to media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies