Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 01:38 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,822,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Screw it...you win.
The good news is that now I am an inventor, too.
In fact, I just put some bandaids into a cigar box.
I think I'll get a patent for my first aid kit.
I have repeatedly made clear that he did not "invent" a clock. That is a different concept. And you will not invent a "first aid kit" either though you have "built" one.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:28 PM

712 posts, read 1,367,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
He basically took a production clock that he purchased, took it out of the plastic enclosure, and then put it in a case to make it look like a project of his.
Everything we learn in life is someone else's product or already written ideas.

If you learn to write code, you're just learning the rules someone else created.

Set out to build your own house, you're just "putting together" pieces that were invented by someone else for that purpose. Using standards already put forth centuries ago. So nothing is unique anymore.

That's the problem with this world, what is so bad about reinventing the wheel?

Old 09-27-2015, 03:36 PM

13,308 posts, read 7,884,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Everything we learn in life is someone else's product or already written ideas.

If you learn to write code, you're just learning the rules someone else created.

Set out to build your own house, you're just "putting together" pieces that were invented by someone else for that purpose. Using standards already put forth centuries ago. So nothing is unique anymore.

I don't think it's possible to "reinvent" anything.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:38 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,727,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post

A silver clock has the same innards as a white clock, even if the manufacturer is different. Why can't the kid change the case of the clock to make it his own?

We all put customized cases on our phones and some people have personalized license plates.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:43 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,822,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
I don't think it's possible to "reinvent" anything.
Happens all the time. And in all sorts of modes.

Painful sometimes. That is when you find out it is a reinvent.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Happens all the time. And in all sorts of modes.

Painful sometimes. That is when you find out it is a reinvent.
The patent office refuses to issue patents on reinventions, because they are not inventions.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:54 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,489,386 times
If he would have built a nicer looking housing he would've repackaged it and there would be a display of creativity.
It the case of the pencil box, not only did it not showcase any creativity, it showcased his total lack of technical ability or mechanical ability. The whole thing was a sloppy mess and clearly he had no idea what anything was in there or he wouldn't have left the transformer as he did.

The only skill he's shown with this whole fiasco is his ability to play the victim, lie and be a tool of his father. Heck he wasn't even breaking any ground here as his sister already did the same thing before him...

Old 09-27-2015, 03:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,153,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
You being an adult electronics engineer really has nothing to do with this.
But you being an "electronics nerd" does have something to do with this?

Quote:
Also, I do not recall him ever saying he "invented" a clock, but rather "built" one.
It doesn't matter what you recall because that is what he said.

Quote:
You just have to think that the kid is 14. Kids do dumb stuff without thinking (I deal with them on a daily basis as a teacher).
I'm not denying that he did something dumb.

Quote:
I don't care what anyone says. If this kid was white, nerdy, and made good grades, this wouldn't have even been an issue. Most likely we wouldn't even know about it because it would have never blown up like this.
The white kid also wouldn't have gotten job offers from google, facebook, twitter, and microsoft. He also woudn't have gotten in invitation from MIT and Harvard and a bunch of free electronics from Microsoft and a "cool clock" comment from Obama.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post

The white kid also wouldn't have gotten job offers from google, facebook, twitter, and microsoft. He also woudn't have gotten in invitation from MIT and Harvard and a bunch of free electronics from Microsoft and a "cool clock" comment from Obama.
This is very disturbing to me.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:00 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,489,386 times
Quote:
I don't care what anyone says. If this kid was white, nerdy, and made good grades, this wouldn't have even been an issue.
Then how do you explain the pop tart incident or the myriad of other white kid incidents being caught up in the zero-tolerance liberal school system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies