Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 02:10 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,292,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Obviously you do.
Considering that I'm black and supposedly I need to fix the issues in my community I'd say that it makes more sense for me to be occupied with it then you and the OP--at least if your in agreement with the article and the OP that only i as a black person can fix the problems that plague blacks.

However considering the fact that no one in my family or myself is unproductive or criminal or any other negative stereotype touted by the typical city data racists then I really don't know how to feel about this topic beyond boredom because this type of thread is created at least once a week. But I guess i need to hear it because it's my responsibility...lol.

Arent you guys sick of saying the same thing over and over again? Why are you guys so worried about blacks just stop... Lol. The obsession is truly unhealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 02:30 PM

29,667 posts, read 16,711,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
pine grove doesnt have a ghetto, baldwin county one of the best countys in the state. your biggest problem is a cow in the roadway
Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about since Pine Grove is not a city, it is the small community I grew up in outside the city limits to which i currently reside.

Knowing that Baldwin County exist, and actually living here and knowing the area are 2 different things.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:33 PM

29,667 posts, read 16,711,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Thank you for the clarification.

I agree, absent fathers and welfare are merely symptoms of the disease.

The disease is that blacks view themselves as an inferior race always in need of rescue.
This is untrue, I have never viewed myself as inferior and I dont know of any black person that does.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:52 PM

26,789 posts, read 15,344,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
White people being born out of wedlock is probably at or near the percentage what black OOW was when Patrick Moynihan did his report in 1965. Maybe we're heading in the same direction. It builds upon itself.
White people are now at that 25% mark right on the dot when Moynihan warned about 25% being too high for blacks and it is a growing problem that does feed itself.

However, for fear of hurting feelings many people shun talking about this problem. People are afraid of disparaging single mothers who have a tough job. Or talk about where the bigger problems are in inner cities where Detroit now has 3/4ths of its kids in single parent homes.

All races have gotten worse in recent decades.

Current percent of children in single parent homes:
Asian 16%
Whites 25%
Hispanic 42%
2 or more Races 43%
Native American 52%
Black 67%
AVERAGE 35%

Kids in single parent homes are more likely to drop out of school, wind up in prison, be a dead beat dad or single mother, and more likely to be in poverty as an adult even if you adjust for race, location, and socio-economic status.

This is a problem. Kids need parental supervision and guidance, many aren't getting enough.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:54 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,502,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
White people are at that 25% mark right on the dot and it is a growing problem that does feed itself.

However, for fear of hurting feelings many people shun talking about this problem.

All races have gotten worse in recent decades.

Current percent of children in single parent homes:
Asian 16%
Whites 25%
Hispanic 42%
2 or more Races 43%
Native American 52%
Black 67%
AVERAGE 35%

Kids in single parent homes are more likely to drop out of school, wind up in prison, be a dead beat dad or single mother, and more likely to be in poverty as an adult even if you adjust for race, location, and socio-economic status.

This is a problem. Kids need parental supervision and guidance, many aren't getting enough.
Notice how poverty and your statistics line up pretty well?

Maybe we need less poverty.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:55 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,441,166 times
As much as the rabid right-wing racists want to say so, blacks have absolutely not created their own problems.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Notice how poverty and your statistics line up pretty well?

Maybe we need less poverty.
Are you arguing a chicken vs the egg for which came first? Perhaps both play in to one another.

Poverty has become feminized, most poor people are single mothers and their children. This is not to put down single mothers and the tough jobs they have day to day.

However, it is a fact that children in poor single parent households will be more likely to stay in poverty than children in poor double parent households.

Single Parent households creates more poverty. Some find these statistical facts offensive to mention and taboo, but it is hard to address real world problems when PC and politics means you have to tip toe around reality.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
As much as the rabid right-wing racists want to say so, blacks have absolutely not created their own problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Thank you for the clarification.

I agree, absent fathers and welfare are merely symptoms of the disease.

The disease is that blacks view themselves as an inferior race always in need of rescue.
I think there are problems with these two views on each extreme.

One wants to put all the blame on blacks as a group for a "mentality" they supposedly have and the other extremist wants to ignore that many black individuals do in fact create their own problems via their choices (as do other people of all races).

Both views are irrational and take legitimate blame away from the causes of problems.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:19 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,441,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
One wants to put all the blame on blacks as a group for a "mentality" they supposedly have and the other extremist wants to ignore that many black individuals do in fact create their own problems via their choices (as do other people of all races).

Both views are irrational and take legitimate blame away from the causes of problems.
Nope. False equivalency.

Sure, some black individuals do in fact create their own problems via choices (as do other people of all races, like you said). In fact, you made my point for me. Because we consistently know that there are screw ups of all races, it is not logical to conclude that "black people are responsible for their own problems" in any greater degree than anyone else. It is a poverty issue. People who are black are not genetically pre-disposed to being screw-ups. The problem is poverty.

The issue with this horrible hypothesis in the OP is that it is based on a heard mentality. Poor black people do not encompass all black people.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:22 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,316,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

so its all whitey's fault?........when you have a high % black high school drop out is not a personal responsibility?

when you have babies with different women out of wedlock and don't raise them and don't take care of them is not a personal responsibility?

when you have no respect for authority and no respect for the police that is not a personal responsibility?

its all whitey's fault and the system....got it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies