Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:25 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,350,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Crime is related to level of economic prosperity. American Blacks literally have been placed in one of the worst possible circumstances of any ethnic group in the world, brought to a new world with no history of economic wealth (Jews in Europe had a history of economic wealth), enslaved, then after being freed (and after desegregation) being told that most of their problems come from being lazy. Not to mention the psychological effects of the house slave/field slave theme and the light-skinned/dark skinned seperation that was instilled by the slave masters, I honestly don't think there is any modern group that can be compared to African-Americans just because of their history in this country. It's sad really. I sincerely believe if you exposed any ethnic group to the same circumstances of American blacks you would get the same results
One of the few posts in this thread that is worth reading, well said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 09:29 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,842,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Walter Williams is black. Pay attention black folks.

I'm black. Why should I pay attention to him?

Just because he is black?

FYI - black people overwhelmingly are not criminals, have jobs, have a decent education, make a decent middle class income, and don't live in public housing nor have AFDC or TANF.

LOL at you all.

Pay attention black folk!!!

Like I am going to say

"Oh, here is a black guy that says some things that some white people think represents me as a black person. I should listen to him, he is a "special" negro." LOL

If I should listen to black people talk about black issues then I should also listen to

Louis Farakhan
Tavis Smiley
Barack Obama
Clarence Thomas
Cornel West
Michael Eric Dyson
etc.

Lots of black men speak about race issues. Which one should I listen to almighty white person?

Old 05-29-2015, 11:13 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,304,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Found this on reallcearpolitcs and just had to share, since it makes some points that I always make.

The True Black Tragedy - Walter E. Williams - Page 1

The pathologies that we see in the black community do not go back to slavery and have nothing to do with racism. They are entirely new and self created. Some facts:

In 1925 New York City, 85 percent of black families were two-parent. One study of 19th-century slave families found that in up to three-fourths of the families, all the children had the same mother and father.

In 1940, black illegitimacy stood at 14 percent. It had risen to 25 percent by 1965, when Daniel Patrick Moynihan wrote "The Negro Family: The Case for National Action" and was widely condemned as a racist. By 1980, the black illegitimacy rate had more than doubled, to 56 percent, and it has been growing since.

In 1948, the unemployment rate for black teens was slightly less than that of their white counterparts -- 9.4 percent compared with 10.2. During that same period, black youths were either just as active in the labor force or more so than white youths.

If we love and value our African American citizens, we will start telling the truth about the dysfunctional nature of the inner city black communities as a first step towards solving the problems. Blacks continue to lag behind whites, Hispanics and Asians because there is a lack of effort, an entitlement mentality, and most of all, a complete dearth of goals, standards, or expectations in the inner city black communities.

In the inner city black community, it is acceptable to not have a job. It is acceptable to use EBT cards and be on AFDC. It is acceptable to live in public housing. It is acceptable to spend most life in a state of intoxication. It is acceptable to have multiple children out of wedlock. It is acceptable to glorify pimps and other villains. It is acceptable, even desirable, to have a criminal record. It is acceptable to fail at school. It is acceptable to resort to violence.

The modern welfare state has made these things not only acceptable, but desirable. When failure brings free goods and services courtesy of Uncle Sam and the tax payer, then failure becomes the goal.

I no longer care if people call me a racist- I consider those who coddle and enable the destructive behavior of the inner city black community to be the true racists. Nor do I care about he faux complexity argument that I always receive ad nauseum . I ask that all those who really care about black people, want them to achieve success and believe in them as human beings stand with me and the author of this fine article in telling the truth.

Peace.
Walter Williams is making an explicitly racist argument based on the idea of collective black racial guilt and collective black racial failings. These are two bedrock understandings of racists.

First one has to view black Americans not as individuals, but as a collective "race", that has certain collective racial traits, characteristics, and behaviors. This is fundamentally how racists frame and understand the behavior of individual black people by connecting it to their skin color.

IE if a black person does something, this something done is then connected to that black person's racial identity and the black race as a whole. This is exactly how racists have always framed and understood the behavior of individual black people.

Then one further stipulates that black Americans are separate from other Americans and therefore outside of American society. This yet another historically fundamental racist belief.

People do this by framing American social problems not as American social problems, but as a problem of the black race that is separate from American society that wasn't caused by American society and therefore can't be cured by American society, and thus American social problems are transformed into yet more proof of internal collective black racial failings.

This argument that something is wrong with the black race is very old and an extremely popular racist way of thinking.

It rests on pretending that history tells you nothing and a profound desire to not want to know.

Last edited by Iamme73; 05-29-2015 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-29-2015, 11:19 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,628,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Walter Williams is black. Pay attention black folks.
Wow. Just wow. This is how conservative media works by the way. Find one black man willing to speak out against his race at all times, put him on to dispute any legitimate issues involving blacks, satisfy the racists who can now say "See, this black man is right"

Old 05-29-2015, 11:43 AM

33,588 posts, read 18,202,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
My job is to throw a wrench in the system. We can't always have one point of view can we now? It's a hard and tough conversation that many of us don't want to have for PC reasons and simply cause many don't understand.

How can we undermine this preacher but then side with the ones he supposedly hates? What insight has he that others don't have? I am more curious as to understanding how we think, not so much the result. The more we understand the mentality and where of which it derives, the more will understand the big picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLdw0LKoutU
I don't see where this pastor hates blacks... he out of his love for them is telling that he hates what they do and wants better for them. His love for them motivates him to speak the truth. It is a hard truth . Not all blacks make the wrong decisions , but many do.

I have heard this pastor on youtube before and some things he says I don't agree with but many things I do ..

I wish Ben Carson's wisdom was in Obama.. then we would have a great man to be a good role model for black people instead we have a man who divides us with keeping the race card out front and hate and division growing.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:34 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,628,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I don't see where this pastor hates blacks... he out of his love for them is telling that he hates what they do and wants better for them. His love for them motivates him to speak the truth. It is a hard truth . Not all blacks make the wrong decisions , but many do.

I have heard this pastor on youtube before and some things he says I don't agree with but many things I do ..

I wish Ben Carson's wisdom was in Obama.. then we would have a great man to be a good role model for black people instead we have a man who divides us with keeping the race card out front and hate and division growing.
Still can't get over having a black president huh? I'm quite sure you'd find something wrong with Carson too...well, I already have. For someone who is a neurologist, he sure says some weird and stupid things.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:42 PM

37,960 posts, read 17,902,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Found this on reallcearpolitcs and just had to share, since it makes some points that I always make.

The True Black Tragedy - Walter E. Williams - Page 1

If we love and value our African American citizens, we will start telling the truth about the dysfunctional nature of the inner city black communities as a first step towards solving the problems. Blacks continue to lag behind whites, Hispanics and Asians because there is a lack of effort, an entitlement mentality, and most of all, a complete dearth of goals, standards, or expectations in the inner city black communities.

In the inner city black community, it is acceptable to not have a job. It is acceptable to use EBT cards and be on AFDC. It is acceptable to live in public housing. It is acceptable to spend most life in a state of intoxication. It is acceptable to have multiple children out of wedlock. It is acceptable to glorify pimps and other villains. It is acceptable, even desirable, to have a criminal record. It is acceptable to fail at school. It is acceptable to resort to violence.

The modern welfare state has made these things not only acceptable, but desirable. When failure brings free goods and services courtesy of Uncle Sam and the tax payer, then failure becomes the goal.

I no longer care if people call me a racist- I consider those who coddle and enable the destructive behavior of the inner city black community to be the true racists. Nor do I care about he faux complexity argument that I always receive ad nauseum . I ask that all those who really care about black people, want them to achieve success and believe in them as human beings stand with me and the author of this fine article in telling the truth.

Peace.
The article does not mention the war on drugs which is unfairly applied to minorities. As long as government exceeds its authority and continues with it's prison state there will be no chance at equality.

I ask that all those who really care about all individuals, want them to achieve success and believe in them as human beings stand with me and throw this article in the trash.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:44 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,111,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The article does not mention the war on drugs which is unfairly applied to minorities. As long as government exceeds its authority and continues with it's prison state there will be no chance at equality.

I ask that all those who really care about all individuals, want them to achieve success and believe in them as human beings stand with me and throw this article in the trash.
Police target low income people of all races, because they are almost completely defenseless in our legal system. If blacks are targeted more, it's because there is a very high percentage of blacks that live near, or below the poverty line. Racism does play a role, but probably much less than many people think. If you don't believe that, just ask poor whites, and they will tell you that they are often targeted by police.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:54 PM

32,122 posts, read 15,112,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
You clearly didn't read my post before you responded, because otherwise you couldn't write that.

Please read a post before you respond to it.

Despite you irrational points above that have nothing to do with what I said you won me over with your sound logic.

Yes, times haven't changed since the 1950s.

Yes, I agree with you, and I meant to say that time hasn't changed since the 1850s.

Except at one point some southern colonies had half the white population as indentured servants. If you ignore those massive numbers you are correct.

Indentured Servants in Colonial Virginia

Even the north had some indentured servants that were white, including famously Ben Franklin and he let it oppress him his whole life, which is why he never accomplished anything as he was a victim.

Accomplishments of Benjamin Franklin

You are right, whites were never lynched, except roughly 2 out of every 5 lynched people were white. Many of which were Jews.

Lynching Statistics by Year

Thankfully that evil is now outlawed.

Sadly that existed, but today most people sell to anyone who has the color green, no?

Bingo! Doing drugs and drug trafficking is not a personal choice. The CIA forces blacks to do it. No whites are arrested or jailed in the war on drugs as whites clearly aren't forced to take them.

Yes at my school's graduation ceremony they toss their hats in the air and then we march them out to get cuffed and booked.

They have no personal choice in anything.

They have zero ownership of their lives or actions.

We need to stress this victimhood more because it helps my students prospects in life when they tell me that hard work doesn't equal increased odds for success. We don't want these children wasting their time on effort when there are more important things like not trying. Why try anyways, society will oppress them, yada yada....too bad none of them will find success due to this oppression.
What are you talking about...cia forcing blacks???

Old 05-29-2015, 09:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
As always look around and you soon see not everyone has same problems. Often its the person on close exam who creates most of their own problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies