Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 01:30 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,199,678 times

Advertisements

Until there is credible scientific evidence that GMOs are harmful, no special labeling is justified.

Cigarettes earned their warning labels because of clear health risks. I haven't seen a single study that credibly shows that GMO food is bad for us. As many people are against GMOs there is no lack of inspection and study of GMOs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodWayOfDoingThat View Post
Yes, I believe there are strong correlations between GMO's and the sudden skyrocketing of certain ailments and conditions, not the least of which is E.D. and sterilization... Even with that said, if you choose to eat said GMO's and as a result you experience any adverse side effects, I personally couldn't care less. That's your business and therefore your problem if you choose not to be informed.
ED is skyrocketing? I think what it is no more prevalent than it was 20 years ago by people of equal cardiovascular fitness. What has changed is ED drugs, which draws attention to topic people didn't talk about before.

Sterilization is a procedure to eliminate fertility. Perhaps you didn't mean to call out something people choose to do? Do you think there is less fertility today? If so maybe you'll show us some data.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:04 PM

13,307 posts, read 7,879,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
ED is skyrocketing? I think what it is no more prevalent than it was 20 years ago by people of equal cardiovascular fitness. What has changed is ED drugs, which draws attention to topic people didn't talk about before.

Sterilization is a procedure to eliminate fertility. Perhaps you didn't mean to call out something people choose to do? Do you think there is less fertility today? If so maybe you'll show us some data.
Today, eating your veggies will save you costs in birth control.

It's all Big Chemistry, now.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:02 PM

194 posts, read 148,899 times
Quote:
Until there is credible scientific evidence that GMOs are harmful, no special labeling is justified.

Cigarettes earned their warning labels because of clear health risks. I haven't seen a single study that credibly shows that GMO food is bad for us. As many people are against GMOs there is no lack of inspection and study of GMOs.
Other way around buddy. When you introduce a new way of modifying food, it's up to you to scientifically prove that it is safe before putting on the market.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Birthrates in the U.S. are at an all time low and have plummeted since the inception of GMO's about 20 years ago. Diabetes, obesity, food allergies, and certain types of cancers have increased in that same time... It's a simple Google search dude, "Fertility rate in the U.S.".

Old 12-21-2014, 03:39 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,988,727 times
Quote:
Umm, or you can buy USDA organic? I dunno, that seems like an easier way to go about it.

But it's funny you mention moving out of the U.S. because I AM moving out of the U.S. next year and hopefully never coming back. I don't like the direction in which the country is heading and I want to get away from people of European descent. Although it will be impossible to completely rid myself, I'm no longer comfortable living in a society that's 80% European but I digress.

At the end of the day people have the right to choose for themselves whether or not they want GMO crops on their plate, not Monsanto.

Wait, run that by again?
Just WHERE did I say anything about moving out of the U.S.?
Regardless, if that is what you wish to do, have at it! Why wait until next year? Go now!
You know, you CAN find areas of the U.S. which have populations that are nearly devoid of people of "European descent". In fact, people of "European descent" make up much less than 80% of the population overall!
But, whatever floats yer boat. Go as soon as possible!

Old 12-21-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Wait, run that by again?
Just WHERE did I say anything about moving out of the U.S.?
Regardless, if that is what you wish to do, have at it! Why wait until next year? Go now!
You know, you CAN find areas of the U.S. which have populations that are nearly devoid of people of "European descent". In fact, people of "European descent" make up much less than 80% of the population overall!
But, whatever floats yer boat. Go as soon as possible!
No, people of European descent do not make up "much" less than 80% of the population. 77.7% to be exact, I was just rounding up. It looks as though you've edited your post telling me to move out of the country. As far as when I'm leaving, that's not your business and I don't need your permission or for you to inform me when to move. I'll move when I'm good and damn well ready.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:07 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,554,139 times
Why cant we at least require companies to let people know on their packages whether or not the food is actually GMO.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:14 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,099,751 times
Quote:
Conversely, why do the ANTI-GMO crowd seem to feel they have the right to tell the world what they should eat?

Nearly every plant we eat (and many animals) has been modified over the years. The corn we have today is NOT the "maize" that the Pilgrims grew.
the wheat we have today is NOT the wheat that was planted on the Great Plains a hundred years ago.
the tomatoes we have today, same thing.
Generally, the primary goal for most anti-GMO activists is to get labels on our food. Which seems like an entirely reasonable expectation. I've always wondered why big companies like Monsanto are so against that. After all, their product is totally safe. Shouldn't they WANT to advertise it? Their resistance to the labeling is one of the reasons I'm so skeptical of the GMO industry. Yes, the FDA, a government department, labeled it as safe. They also have a former Monsanto exec in a high position in the FDA. And to be honest, the FDA is a government agency; it's unwise to assume their being honest all the time.

Quote:
Yes, many of these "new" diseases and allergies were not recognized until "modern times".
Did they exist before? Nobody knows.
It has been postulated that many of these problems have arisen since the current "clean and sterile" fetish began, due to the fact that we are disabling our immune systems by not giving them enough to do. Just as your muscles will atrophy with lack of exercise, so, too, will your immune system atrophy if it isn't given enough germs to fight, so they say.
In the meantime, many people go merrily on their way, using hand sanitizer at the merest hint of dirt, using germicidal wipes on door handles, shopping cart handles, doing half way jobs of washing their hands, etc.
If GMO is all THAT vital to you, I say move to the country, get 10 acres, grow your own food using ONLY "organic" NON-GMO seeds and starts, raise your own livestock using ONLY "organic" feeds, process the meat yourself, can and/or freeze your own vegetables and meat, get a wind generator and solar panels, and let the rest of the world go by.
You CAN do it, if it is really important to you.
That's not necessary to do. There is non-GMO food out there. It doesn't get the same benefits from the government as GMO food does; it's also more expensive since it can't be mass produced in the same way that food that is heavily chemically treated and genetically altered can.

Most GMOs exist to allow a certain crop to produce it's own pesticides. A pesticide is a poison, primary used to kill various organisms, like weeds or insects. This isn't just sprayed on the food (though that happens too); it's grown IN the food. There are toxic chemicals intentionally added to your food to keep it alive in order to maximize profit (which is the ONLY reason GMO food exists in the first place). Not all toxins are immediately deadly, but there aren't many that don't do any damage. There is plenty of reason to suspect that the chemicals added to GMO crops can do damage to your body over time. Take a look at McDonalds. Loaded with preservatives and everything they serve is GMO. Why do you think it's so unhealthy? Artificial food is known to be unhealthy, but they've found ways to make fake food like real. "Look, this corn grew from the ground! Ignore the fact that it was heavily chemically altered in a lab...'

Either way, people have a right to know if their food is GMO or not. It should be labeled, and that's not unreasonable at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
Informed by science or informed by preaching of those against GMOs?
What science are you referring to? Plenty of scientists are skeptical of GMOs. Plenty make money from production of GMOs. Not to mention the main party involved in letting us know how safe GMOS are (besides the corporations that make them) is the FDA.

Science or not, GMOs should be labeled. People have a right to know what they're eating and if people aren't comfortable eating food that is made, not grown, then they shouldn't have to do extensive research to find out what is and isn't. They label ingredients and nutrition information; why not GMO vs. organic? It's just as relevant to the food as the ingredients.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Other way around buddy. When you introduce a new way of modifying food, it's up to you to scientifically prove that it is safe before putting on the market.
There are studies. None show harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies