Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 11:49 AM

30,290 posts, read 23,777,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodWayOfDoingThat View Post
In my experience(s) it seems as though the people who are pro-GMO feel they have the right to tell others what they should and shouldn't want to put inside their bodies. All of the people that I know who are for labeling GMO's feel that people have the right to know, and whether or not they choose to eat GMO's after knowing whether or not a food product has GMO is their own personal decision.

It's just this, "Well I don't see anything wrong with GMO's, so neither should you" mentality that gets me. Would anyone be able to clarify or even correct me if my understanding of this is flawed somehow?
People have the right to say what they want. It doesn't mean I have to listen to them. They can prattle on, endlessly, while I walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 11:49 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,844,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
Its very simple and uncomplicated. The large corporations decide what you should know and what you should not, based upon their ability to make profits all backed by our political leaders. It has nothing to do with rational thinking or what is just or unjust. Those that support this process has some form of monetary gain involved or is infected with Liberalism, which has yet to be recognized officially as a mental disorder, since this disorder has been allowed to propagate unabated throughout our government and the legislative processes we as individual citizens have no right or authority to question or demand what we may perceive as our individual rights.....

Oh man, you almost had me. Almost.

The large corporations... Those that support this process .... is infected with Liberalism...

And then I thought, "When's the last time you seen Liberals all like "HELL YEAH< LOVE THOSE LARGE CORPORATIONS> and that was my "AHA, OMG LOL!" moment.

Can you see Liberals matching for Monsanto? I bet they dress as ears of corn and have Die ins at major grocery stores. "EAT GMO CORN OR PERISH???? I WILL EAT THE GMO CORN!! ALL HAIL MEGA FOODCORP!!!"

Old 12-21-2014, 11:52 AM

194 posts, read 148,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
People have the right to say what they want. It doesn't mean I have to listen to them. They can prattle on, endlessly, while I walk away.
I agree whole-heartedly. As long as people are informed and choosing for themselves instead of having corporations choose for them, I see nothing wrong with that arrangement.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:58 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,990,079 times
Yes, many of these "new" diseases and allergies were not recognized until "modern times".
Did they exist before? Nobody knows.
It has been postulated that many of these problems have arisen since the current "clean and sterile" fetish began, due to the fact that we are disabling our immune systems by not giving them enough to do. Just as your muscles will atrophy with lack of exercise, so, too, will your immune system atrophy if it isn't given enough germs to fight, so they say.
In the meantime, many people go merrily on their way, using hand sanitizer at the merest hint of dirt, using germicidal wipes on door handles, shopping cart handles, doing half way jobs of washing their hands, etc.
If GMO is all THAT vital to you, I say move to the country, get 10 acres, grow your own food using ONLY "organic" NON-GMO seeds and starts, raise your own livestock using ONLY "organic" feeds, process the meat yourself, can and/or freeze your own vegetables and meat, get a wind generator and solar panels, and let the rest of the world go by.
You CAN do it, if it is really important to you.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:11 PM

194 posts, read 148,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Yes, many of these "new" diseases and allergies were not recognized until "modern times".
Did they exist before? Nobody knows.
It has been postulated that many of these problems have arisen since the current "clean and sterile" fetish began, due to the fact that we are disabling our immune systems by not giving them enough to do. Just as your muscles will atrophy with lack of exercise, so, too, will your immune system atrophy if it isn't given enough germs to fight, so they say.
In the meantime, many people go merrily on their way, using hand sanitizer at the merest hint of dirt, using germicidal wipes on door handles, shopping cart handles, doing half way jobs of washing their hands, etc.
If GMO is all THAT vital to you, I say move to the country, get 10 acres, grow your own food using ONLY "organic" NON-GMO seeds and starts, raise your own livestock using ONLY "organic" feeds, process the meat yourself, can and/or freeze your own vegetables and meat, get a wind generator and solar panels, and let the rest of the world go by.
You CAN do it, if it is really important to you.
Umm, or you can buy USDA organic? I dunno, that seems like an easier way to go about it.

But it's funny you mention moving out of the U.S. because I AM moving out of the U.S. next year and hopefully never coming back. I don't like the direction in which the country is heading and I want to get away from people of European descent. Although it will be impossible to completely rid myself, I'm no longer comfortable living in a society that's 80% European but I digress.

At the end of the day people have the right to choose for themselves whether or not they want GMO crops on their plate, not Monsanto.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:28 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
We have to trust the Big Agricultural Businesses because they have all the information and would never do anything to harm their ultimate customers just like the big chemical companies told us that Agent Orange herbicide was harmless. We have to trust them and the government they own.

I thought the "liberalism is a disease" rant was pretty funny as well. I am a "liberal" and as you can see by my posts on this and a myriad of other topics I always support Big oligopolistic business. Yeah, right.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:30 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,561,348 times
Quote:
I will not. If you're at all interested you have to do some of the work to educate yourself.
In other words were talking out of your *** about a government plot to use GMO soy to sterilize men. How typical.

Quote:
Lol, really? Is that why China cut off GMO crops from the U.S. from being shipped into their country?
More likely they were protecting there agro business since the US had a large surplus in that area.

Quote:
Yes, I believe there are strong correlations between GMO's and the sudden skyrocketing of certain ailments and conditions, not the least of which is E.D. and sterilization... Even with that said, if you choose to eat said GMO's and as a result you experience any adverse side effects, I personally couldn't care less. That's your business and therefore your problem if you choose not to be informed.
You keep going on and on about sterilization and yet you provide no links...lol I bet you wonder why people don't believe you.

Quote:
That's your opinion. Cigarettes cause cancer and the label has to state that, yet millions of people still smoke. I have never smoked, would never smoke, and at the same time I don't feel it's my business to try and stop others from smoking. They know the risks and if they choose to smoke after being informed, it's their problem if they have any adverse side effects down the road. Get it now?
GMOs are not cigarettes your example is lousy and in no way proves your point.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I agree whole-heartedly. As long as people are informed and choosing for themselves instead of having corporations choose for them, I see nothing wrong with that arrangement.
Informed by science or informed by preaching of those against GMOs?

Old 12-21-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
But it's funny you mention moving out of the U.S. because I AM moving out of the U.S. next year and hopefully never coming back.
Hallelujah! One less whiner in the country!

Old 12-21-2014, 01:05 PM

13,308 posts, read 7,881,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Conversely, why do the ANTI-GMO crowd seem to feel they have the right to tell the world what they should eat?

Nearly every plant we eat (and many animals) has been modified over the years. The corn we have today is NOT the "maize" that the Pilgrims grew.
the wheat we have today is NOT the wheat that was planted on the Great Plains a hundred years ago.
the tomatoes we have today, same thing.
Most Republicans and Libertarians support fraud over force.

Same goes for Democrats.

Fraud is g-o-o-o-o-o-o-d!

Have some!

But, always beware nuns showing up on your shores, there's always an army right behind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies