Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 11:03 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,325,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I guess Rosa Parks should have sat in the back of the bus.
That has nothing to do with anything.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:06 AM

13,977 posts, read 5,636,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
So the answer to my questions is yes, you folks believe it's OK for businesses to discriminate at will.

Got it.
Glad I could make it that clear. Yes, any private citizen should be able to discriminate at will, so sayeth freedom of assembly, association, and virtually all natural individual rights.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:12 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,266,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Utter nonsense.

I seem to recall signs that read "No shirt, no shoes, no service." Clearly discrimination, yet very much still in business.

I have been a sole-proprietor for 25 years and discriminate regularly. There are some people with whom I will not do business, period. I do not give a damn if they are in a "protected class" or not. By the way, all those "protected classes" violate the Equal Protection clause of the US Constitution.
Discrimination? Bwahahahahaha. Since when are health regulations "discrimination?"

ANd why does it not surprise me that you discriminate freely.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Glad I could make it that clear. Yes, any private citizen should be able to discriminate at will, so sayeth freedom of assembly, association, and virtually all natural individual rights.
And you're proud of your bigotry. Got that, too.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
BTW, the reason you're wrong is right in that statement. A business open to the public is not a private citizen.

Go ahead and refuse to let those icky gays or nasty blacks into your home. But to discriminate in business in unAmerican.

Also vile.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:21 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
Quote:
BTW, the reason you're wrong is right in that statement. A business open to the public is not a private citizen.

Go ahead and refuse to let those icky gays or nasty blacks into your home. But to discriminate in business in unAmerican.

Also vile.
But the laws are aimed at protecting persons. But even then private business can refuse service to anyone one. Its public your confusing with private.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:23 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,771,273 times
Quote:

Also vile.
Who is saying that?

When did this become discriminating race or sexual orientation?

Old 01-29-2014, 11:24 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,209,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Businesses should not be allowed to discriminate, talk about asking for lawsuits.

why not? businesses should be allowed to sell their product to whomever they want.

it is the market that will ultimately decide if that business stays open or not.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:28 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,129,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Bills filed in the South Dakota and Kansas legislatures seek to protect clergy, church officials and businesspeople who refuse to provide services for same-sex marriages or receptions because of their religious beliefs.

The bills would prevent clergy or businesses from being forced to perform or supply goods or services to anything related to same-sex marriages. It could allow a business to refuse to host a reception for a same-sex couple legally married in another state.

The bills also say clergy and businesses could not be sued or charged with crimes if they refused to take part in gay marriages.
Do citizens of this country have the freedom to practice their religion, or don't they?

It's crazy that this even has to be codified.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:29 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,771,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But the laws are aimed at protecting persons. But even then private business can refuse service to anyone one. Its public your confusing with private.
IIRC, the state should not be allowed to interfere in deciding whether or not someone must be forced to provide a service for people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies