Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 11:56 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,540,199 times

Advertisements

You know there is already a monument to Satan in OKC. Just go to the building where the bombing was. They have a museum there now and if you go through it you will see a lot of Satan in those pictures they took afterward. Dead children being carried out. Horror everywhere.

They have empty chairs for each person who died that day. The best place for this Satan chair is with those chairs. I truly feel sorry for the people in OKC if they are forced to put up with these nutcases that want to do this. Many lost children that day.

http://www.oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 01:57 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,683,227 times
A Supreme Court ruling from 2005 allows Texas to keep it's Ten Commandments monument that has been up for over 50 years on its state capitol grounds. It was believed the monument only had secular purpose as suggested from it not being complained about for so long. The Oklahoma legislator who put up a replica of the Texas monument on Oklahoma state capitol grounds only a couple years ago believes that court ruling entitled him to do so. The legislator also feels that some other Supreme Court ruling allows the state to keep religious monuments it does not want off its capitol grounds, so no on that proposed Satanist monument. We'll see in the future what the court thinks. Pictured is the Texas monument.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:02 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,107,355 times
Baphomet? A fallen angel? What a waste. They should have went this route:

Why immortalize a lesser evil when you could have immortalized the greatest evil of them all?

Cthulhu fhtagn...

Old 01-08-2014, 03:57 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,226,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
And what was the reason that the monument with the Ten Commandments was placed there in the first place if not for the fundies to be able to rub someone's nose in it?

Do you really believe that it was not put there to show everyone who is not a Christian how much power the Christians have and to establish Christian dominance? I doubt it, quite seriously.
Look, I doubt very seriously that the monument is there to rub everyone else's nose in it. I mean, Christians hang things like the ten commandments or bible passages on the walls in their own house. Its just there as a reminder, it isn't there to be pretentious(well, maybe sometimes).

When we look at the ten commandments. We need to realize that for the most part, it just says "don't steal, don't kill, don't lie, don't commit adultery, don't obsess about possessions, take a day off, and don't be hateful."

Basically, its just a reminder to be a good person. And while I think its probably a bad idea to put it on the capital grounds. It is such an innocent symbol, I don't see why it really matters.

On the other hand, the satanic people are trying to place a monument which should be offensive for anyone who isn't insane.

That is my point. I would much rather this be an internal discussion about whether or not religion in public spaces is appropriate. Rather than some people from New York wanting to just come in and cause trouble. When hateful New York atheists want to stir up trouble in some state halfway across the country in such a belligerent way. It actually makes religious fundamentalists in Oklahoma look sane and mature.

New Yorkers need to go back to ruining New York, leave Oklahoma alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I'm not sure whether Satanists are a "real" religion or not. Who am I to judge what a "real" religion is? Who are you to judge if their religion is "real?" The other point you make is they are all from New York ... would you be willing to bet your life there is not even a single Satanist residing in Oklahoma? Even if the funds to pay for the statue is from their co-religionists in New York, what difference does it make? I think it is very likely there are at least a few individuals in Oklahoma that identify with Satanism.
Look, they themselves declared it wasn't a real religion. Go read about it. It is a fake-religion that was literally made to mock Christianity. They don't really worship satan in any real sense, its basically just satire, intended to be a slap in the face of the teachings of the bible. They don't believe satan is real and that he controls peoples lives, they are really just atheists. They just wanted to call themselves a religion so they can get the "perks" of being a religion.

Basically, a "satanist" isn't a real thing. A satanist is a militant atheist who really really despises Christianity. The same for the "Church of the flying spaghetti monster." They don't really believe in a flying spaghetti monster, its just intended to be a mockery of religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
In any case, for the sake of argument, even if Satanism was deemed not a real religion, am I safe in assuming that you have no problems with Hindus erecting a statue of the elephant-headed diety Ganesh or Buddhists erecting a statue of Buddha? Would you argue Hinduism and Buddhism are not "real" religions?
Look, if Hindu's or Muslims wanted to create something which encouraged people to not murder, to not steal, to not commit adultery, to not disrespect their parents, to not be jealous of other peoples things, to not lie, etc. You would not hear a peep from me.

Take a look at this link. They could make an entire wall with some of these quotes on it and place it somewhere on the capitol grounds and I wouldn't care. I think it would be great.

Buddha Quotes - BrainyQuote

To believe that nothing can be learned from religion, is ignorance. To believe that religion doesn't inspire the good of humanity, is to be blind.

To me, the ten commandments is sort of like, part of the culture, it is a part of history. And I don't believe its existence is offending Hindus and Muslims. The only people who are ever offended by these kinds of things, are atheists. And not the agnostic atheists. I consider the agnostic atheists to be rational people who probably have a decent relationship with their parents.

The atheists who fight over this crap. Are the militant atheists, who normally live very deviant lifestyles. Who haven't talked to their parents in years, because their parents disapprove of their choices. They are these perpetual outcasts, who are angry at the world, and will do anything in their power to force everyone else to think like them. They are the most intolerant people I have ever met in my life. And they are so self-assured of this belief that they know more than everyone else, and anyone who disagrees with them must be crazy.

I don't mind people not believing in religion. In my opinion, there is no way that any of the religions can possibly be literally correct. But to pretend that religion is some evil thing that is poisoning humanity, is ridiculous.

If we look at one of the ironies of Atheism. They preach that there is nothing after death, that you should enjoy your life while you live it. But if you look at happiness levels of Christians and the happiness levels of atheists. Christians are by far more happy than atheists. They are significantly less likely to suffer mental illness than atheists. They are far more likely to be emotionally stable.

Thus, if the purpose of life is to be happy. Don't become an atheist. You will more than likely be miserable, perpetually angry, and resentful of others.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:06 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,955,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
You know there is already a monument to Satan in OKC. Just go to the building where the bombing was. They have a museum there now and if you go through it you will see a lot of Satan in those pictures they took afterward. Dead children being carried out. Horror everywhere.

They have empty chairs for each person who died that day. The best place for this Satan chair is with those chairs. I truly feel sorry for the people in OKC if they are forced to put up with these nutcases that want to do this. Many lost children that day.

http://www.oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org/
I doubt city leaders built the OKC memorial as a memorial to evil or satan. Im positive there are plenty of non-satanists that love Tim McVeigh and his war on the government...many of which most likely self indentify themselves as "christian".

Old 01-08-2014, 04:11 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,107,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Look, they themselves declared it wasn't a real religion. Go read about it. It is a fake-religion that was literally made to mock Christianity. They don't really worship satan in any real sense, its basically just satire, intended to be a slap in the face of the teachings of the bible. They don't believe satan is real and that he controls peoples lives, they are really just atheists. They just wanted to call themselves a religion so they can get the "perks" of being a religion.

Basically, a "satanist" isn't a real thing. A satanist is a militant atheist who really really despises Christianity. The same for the "Church of the flying spaghetti monster." They don't really believe in a flying spaghetti monster, its just intended to be a mockery of religion.
I'm not sure where you are getting this from. Anton LaVey's Church of Satan may be construed as a non-religion (it lacks any kind of belief in a "god" within its basic tenents), however The Temple of Set and the Order of the Nine Angles both believe in the literal existence of a dark god. The former even has its "last rites" included in the basic rituals for U.S. military chaplains.

Setian Satanists dedicate their lives to a complex series of magickal rituals designed to ensure the practitioners' exhalation to god-form in the afterlife. The Left Hand Path requires study, discipline and dedication, which is a lot more than I can say for fake Christians who approach religious observances as mere cultural holidays, use their so-called religion as a touchstone for social networking, and think attending Mass once a year (usually on Christmas Eve) reassures their faith in a higher power while somehow guaranteeing them a coveted place in the afterlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I doubt city leaders built the OKC memorial as a memorial to evil or satan. Im positive there are plenty of non-satanists that love Tim McVeigh and his war on the government...many of which most likely self indentify themselves as "christian".
IIRC, was McVeigh not a proud member of the uber-racist Christian Church of the Creator?

Old 01-08-2014, 04:17 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,345,342 times
Quote:

To believe that nothing can be learned from religion, is ignorance. To
believe that religion doesn't inspire the good of humanity, is to be
blind.
To believe that religion doesn't inspire evil as well, is to be blind. Perhaps you've heard of the Crusades? The Spanish Inquisition? 9-11 and the Twin towers?
Quote:
The atheists who fight over this crap. Are the militant atheists, who normally
live very deviant lifestyles. Who haven't talked to their parents in years,
because their parents disapprove of their choices. They are these perpetual
outcasts, who are angry at the world, and will do anything in their power to
force everyone else to think like them. They are the most intolerant people I
have ever met in my life. And they are so self-assured of this belief that they
know more than everyone else, and anyone who disagrees with them must be
crazy.
The above statement is so astoundingly ignorant that I don't know where to begin. To say we're angry, deviant outcasts who don't talk to their parents is so profoundly stupid that I'll just say you probably don't know any atheists and leave it at that.
Yeah....WE'RE the ones who are intolerant.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:03 AM

52,724 posts, read 34,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
IIRC, was McVeigh not a proud member of the uber-racist Christian Church of the Creator?
you don't RC.

Quote:
McVeigh stated that he did not believe in Hell and that science is his religion.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:06 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,955,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you don't RC.
My focus was on the act not his religion.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:36 AM

52,724 posts, read 34,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
My focus was on the act not his religion.
i know. that's why i responded to the poster whose focus was his religion, rather than to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies