Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 05:51 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times

Advertisements

The statue is actually pretty cool! What is creepy is the two kids standing next to it! What is up with the bald kid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 06:00 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I'm taking bets on how long before Satan is the victim of a drive by. I bet a week.
Yeah and I'm taking bets on how long after that the commandments take a drive by. I'd say the next day.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:27 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Somehow I do not think the dead mind.
You would if your dead ancestors were being converted to Islam, I bet.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:31 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You would if your dead ancestors were being converted to Islam, I bet.
They are dead. What part of that escapes your grasp?

Old 01-08-2014, 06:34 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
A Supreme Court ruling from 2005 allows Texas to keep it's Ten Commandments monument that has been up for over 50 years on its state capitol grounds. It was believed the monument only had secular purpose as suggested from it not being complained about for so long. The Oklahoma legislator who put up a replica of the Texas monument on Oklahoma state capitol grounds only a couple years ago believes that court ruling entitled him to do so. The legislator also feels that some other Supreme Court ruling allows the state to keep religious monuments it does not want off its capitol grounds, so no on that proposed Satanist monument. We'll see in the future what the court thinks. Pictured is the Texas monument.
What's up with the "all seeing eye" on the monument? And the Star of David?

Old 01-08-2014, 07:32 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Yeah and I'm taking bets on how long after that the commandments take a drive by. I'd say the next day.
Liberals own guns? I thought only crazy righ-wingers owned guns.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Basically, a "satanist" isn't a real thing. A satanist is a militant atheist who really really despises Christianity. The same for the "Church of the flying spaghetti monster." They don't really believe in a flying spaghetti monster, its just intended to be a mockery of religion.

Look, if Hindu's or Muslims wanted to create something which encouraged people to not murder, to not steal, to not commit adultery, to not disrespect their parents, to not be jealous of other peoples things, to not lie, etc. You would not hear a peep from me.

To me, the ten commandments is sort of like, part of the culture, it is a part of history. And I don't believe its existence is offending Hindus and Muslims. The only people who are ever offended by these kinds of things, are atheists. And not the agnostic atheists. I consider the agnostic atheists to be rational people who probably have a decent relationship with their parents.

The atheists who fight over this crap. Are the militant atheists, who normally live very deviant lifestyles. Who haven't talked to their parents in years, because their parents disapprove of their choices. They are these perpetual outcasts, who are angry at the world, and will do anything in their power to force everyone else to think like them. They are the most intolerant people I have ever met in my life. And they are so self-assured of this belief that they know more than everyone else, and anyone who disagrees with them must be crazy.

I don't mind people not believing in religion. In my opinion, there is no way that any of the religions can possibly be literally correct. But to pretend that religion is some evil thing that is poisoning humanity, is ridiculous.

If we look at one of the ironies of Atheism. They preach that there is nothing after death, that you should enjoy your life while you live it. But if you look at happiness levels of Christians and the happiness levels of atheists. Christians are by far more happy than atheists. They are significantly less likely to suffer mental illness than atheists. They are far more likely to be emotionally stable.

Thus, if the purpose of life is to be happy. Don't become an atheist. You will more than likely be miserable, perpetually angry, and resentful of others.
Agreed. This is not about equality of religious rights, it's about mocking Christianity. This has become a battleground that's rallying various anti-Christian groups. The Flying Spaghetti Monster church is also applying to go there; a fake religion crafted for the sole purpose of mocking religion. It's not a religion, it's trolling. To think there is genuine religious motivation here is letting your own bias shine through; it's nothing more than a publicity stunt.

I completely agree about militant Atheism. I have no problem with tolerant, everyday Atheists. I know some personally and they're perfectly nice people. On other hand, militant Atheists or anti-theists seem to be more motivated by their hate of religion and hate of believers than their non-belief. They reject than religion does anything good. They come across as truly hateful, narcissistic, angry, bigoted jerks whose sole motivation seems to be de-converting people from their faith and eradicating religion. Why would I ever want to leave my religion and become as mean and miserable as those people?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:20 AM

37,177 posts, read 19,183,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I completely agree about militant Atheism. I have no problem with tolerant, everyday Atheists. I know some personally and they're perfectly nice people. On other hand, militant Atheists or anti-theists seem to be more motivated by their hate of religion and hate of believers than their non-belief. They reject than religion does anything good. They come across as truly hateful, narcissistic, angry, bigoted jerks whose sole motivation seems to be de-converting people from their faith and eradicating religion. Why would I ever want to leave my religion and become as mean and miserable as those people?
Militant Atheists sound almost indistinguishable from Militant Fundamentalists, don't they...?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:31 AM

15,525 posts, read 10,492,988 times
omg, that's stupid looking. Has South Park done an episode on this yet, what great material.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:47 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
What's up with the "all seeing eye" on the monument? And the Star of David?
I think there's a little more controversy about those first couple "commandments"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies