Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 01:24 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
when the religious put up their monuments...they don't do it to be offensive. they do it out of virtue for their religion. religious tolerance goes both ways...just because you don't happen to find religion uplifting and personally gratifying it doesn't mean others don't. why would you, in essence, flip them off because of it?

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others.________________Matthew 6:5-6

It's a pity that's not a part of the scripture the thumpers pay attention to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 01:27 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,426,253 times
I'm taking bets on how long before Satan is the victim of a drive by. I bet a week.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:29 PM

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I'm kinda glad this happened. It exposes how rude and childish anti-Christian & anti-religion bigots are. They think they're being clever, when in reality they just showing themselves to be arrogant jerks.

The Ten Commandments are there because of their historical significance and the reverence it represents to the people who live there. The Baphomet statue was paid for by a group halfway across the country, specifically to spite Christians.
and since at least one person sees what i see, i'll exit the thread. i said what i wanted to.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:29 PM

519 posts, read 1,024,395 times
Boy oh boy those kids sure do love that goat

Old 01-07-2014, 01:33 PM

39,086 posts, read 51,273,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Yes. Good point.
Deceptively amazingly beautiful and "angelic."
And deceptively convincing, conniving.
A statue of Obama holding the PPACA?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
If they're gonna allow ONE religious monument, then I think it's pretty necessarily mandatory to allow any (all?) religious monuments. As more than one other poster noted, it would be a way cool way to in-yer-face demonstrate our solid constitutional beliefs in Freedom of Religion.

Something literally to be proud of and to tout "overseas".

However...

The Satanist monument is WAY too fragile - they should make whatever stuff they want be there be mere reliefs on a background, otherwise in short order - purposefully or not - pieces are gonna get broken off.

As the Supreme Court ruled, it depends on the context.

If the religious display was in context with a non-religious historical purpose, for example, then it is perfectly acceptable. If the religious display is all by itself, with no other context, then it is for religious propaganda purposes only, and not acceptable.

For example, in the Supreme Court itself their is a frieze that depicts Moses holding tablets with the Roman numerals I to X engraved on them. Ostensibly to represent the ten commandments. If it was by itself it would be a violation of the First Amendment. However, the frieze also depicts Menes,
Hammurabi, Solomon, Lycurgus, Solon, Draco, Confucius, and Octavian, and that is just on the south wall.

Therefore, in the case of the Supreme Court frieze, the context is obviously about historical law-givers, and not religious in nature.

Since Oklahoma merely erected a monument of the ten commandments, without any context, then it is religious in nature and they must either remove it, or allow any other religions to display their propaganda as well.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,517,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is too awesome, hopefully it will be going next to the ten commandments.
Lol its like middle school all over again

Old 01-07-2014, 02:24 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,266,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I saw that on the local news. Everybody I've talked to is laughing. Funny how it usually works that way: when people try to make issues out of nothing, they become laughing stock.
You do recognize the difference between laughing with you religious nut jobs and laughing at you, don't you? Because that's what this thread and all the new monuments are about …

Old 01-07-2014, 02:27 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,266,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I'm kinda glad this happened. It exposes how rude and childish anti-Christian & anti-religion bigots are. They think they're being clever, when in reality they just showing themselves to be arrogant jerks.

The Ten Commandments are there because of their historical significance and the reverence it represents to the people who live there. The Baphomet statue was paid for by a group halfway across the country, specifically to spite Christians.
And violating the Constitution and shoving Christianity down the throats of non-Christians is so incredibly classy.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,517,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
You do recognize the difference between laughing with you religious nut jobs and laughing at you, don't you? Because that's what this thread and all the new monuments are about …
No its all just childish disrespect by trying to start a controversy when most of the Christians on here could care less about this Satanist Monument
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies