Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 11:57 AM

26,491 posts, read 15,070,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Other countries put restrictions in place for immigrants so that masses of impoverished don't flood their country.
Even retirees have to show proof of income and proof of medical insurance in order to get permission to retire in some countries.
Yes.

It is a perfectly fair question.

If growing wealth inequality harms the country and is a threat to the nation's well being....then shouldn't we reduce the millions of no/low wealth immigrants to the country?

Mexico does this to an extent. I am not necessarily advocating it, just asking a perfectly reasonable question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 12:03 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Yes.

It is a perfectly fair question.

If growing wealth inequality harms the country and is a threat to the nation's well being....then shouldn't we reduce the millions of no/low wealth immigrants to the country?

Mexico does this to an extent. I am not necessarily advocating it, just asking a perfectly reasonable question.
If you're blaming wealth inequality on immigrants, you truly are uninformed. Your argument doesn't hold any truth. You're repeating what you've heard on right wing radio and television. Do yourself a favor, do some looking around for opposing views to what you believe to be truth, get both sides of the argument, because nobody using a forum will ever convince you to think out of the bubble.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:06 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
I did it......
My husband and I did it, too. We literally had NOTHING when we were first married. Our first apartment was such a dive, that the warmest it would ever heat up in the winter with the thermostat turned up all the way was 59 degrees. We became experts at the concept of layering clothes to keep warm.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:24 PM

26,491 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
If you're blaming wealth inequality on immigrants, you truly are uninformed. Your argument doesn't hold any truth. You're repeating what you've heard on right wing radio and television. Do yourself a favor, do some looking around for opposing views to what you believe to be truth, get both sides of the argument, because nobody using a forum will ever convince you to think out of the bubble.
I am not "blaming" wealth inequality on anyone. Stop dodging reality with your ad hominem attacks. You have chickened away from my argument and then attacked me as a person.

I am factually stating that letting in millions of immigrants with low/no wealth will mathematically create more wealth inequality.

This really isn't a difficult concept to grasp. Let me make it more elementary for you. If your road has 10 households on it with an average net wealth of $150K. Now a new house is built on the end of the road adding a new family and their household has a net worth of $0... The wealth inequality of your road has just changed and has greater disparity, has it not?

Last edited by michiganmoon; 11-17-2013 at 12:44 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 12:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
No proof to back it up either.

Many first world countries require proof of financial responsibility to enter their country.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:40 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
He didn't blame wealth inequality on immigrants. He suggests it could be a facet of the problem. He didn't say it is the cause of the problem. Also, the CBO has said that the immigration reform that the Democrats want will increase unemployment amongst the poorest and minority Americans. The CBO. Not Fox News. Not Rush Limbaugh. The CBO. So do yourself a favor and do some looking around for opposing views to what you believe to be the truth. Follow you own advice.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:02 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
That
video
can be posted in practically every thread where the usual right-wing suspects are spewing their egoistic avarice. Unfortunately, I doubt that folks so maniacally opposed to viewing economics in moral terms would be willing to allow themselves to even comprehend the message the video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
That video ignores the fact that an influx of millions of immigrants (most of which with no wealth) is the primary cause of the growing inequality of wealth.
First, please show your data that confirms your conclusion that it's all about immigrants.
Second, millions of immigrants don't explain why in 1976 the richest 1% took home 9% of national income and now take 25%; 25% of all stocks are owned by the top 0.1% and the average CEO earns 380 times as much as the average employee.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:38 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
How many of those top 1% are entrepreneurs or create jobs? How many inherited their wealth?
What's the diff? Are saying people aren't entitled to their inheritance?

Old 11-17-2013, 02:42 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
And I suppose that if everyone in the USA was required to drop all of their wealth in a big hole and then everyone would be given their equal share, you would be first to drop your wealth in?

Old 11-17-2013, 02:46 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I don't understand how people can believe this B.S. about "wealth." What is it that they are missing, brains, perhaps?

They are believing that there is only so much wealth to go around, and some people are gathering it all up and taking it for themselves. How stupid is that?

No wonder the Democrat Party is able to use these dupes to keep them in power. These people have fallen victim to the mind control tactics of the "fellow travelers."
Well, the government is running out of money for the entitlement people, so now they have to go after the wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies