Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 03:14 PM

89,564 posts, read 45,225,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Umm Yeah, that is what govt and wall street being intertwined would imply. Elite isn't separate from govt. They cover the spectrum. LOL
LOL... That's what I've been trying to tell you all. Divorce the government's dependence on the top 1% for a grossly disproportionate percentage of the tax revenue, and you REMOVE the government's incentive to keep the top 1% as rich as possible.

Like I said, politicians certainly aren't enriching the top 1% for the votes. A person earning $1,000,000 nets 1 vote, while 50 people earning $20,000 each nets 50 votes. They're doing it for the revenue. Eliminate the incentive for the government to help the rich get richer.

Quote:
Stop looking at budgets, go look at revenue.
I looked at what the CBO has to say...

CBO | Monthly Budget Review

Where is that supposedly huge investment income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 03:28 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,487,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedCabbage View Post
Talking about that top 1%:

For starters how many $20 million+ lotto winners each year? Gotta count them in the top 1%.

About the only way they could start to change this is to change the games in order to split these enormous lottery prizes into 5 or 10 winners - at least. More pots and more winners. Who in the heck needs 180 million dollars? I don't know a single soul who would know what to do with ten percent of that much even after taxes. Definitely geared toward the "pie in the sky" mentality of habitual gamblers. This is the one place I'm all for redistribution.

I'll consider purchasing lotto tickets when the odds of getting say, a half million are upped 25X.
Really, is lotto the problem of this country? Or is it the twisted economical and social system? Who are the most rewarded folks in our society? Speculators, entertainers, athletes...
Conservatives claim most rewarded are the "hard workers", but nothing is further from reality. Even when someone made a fortune starting from zero, the big money resulted from speculation, not hard work.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Really, is lotto the problem of this country? Or is it the twisted economical and social system? Who are the most rewarded folks in our society? Speculators, entertainers, athletes...
Conservatives claim most rewarded are the "hard workers", but nothing is further from reality. Even when someone made a fortune starting from zero, the big money resulted from speculation, not hard work.
Something you need to see...

TigerHawk TV: Who are these "rich" people? - YouTube

Old 11-16-2013, 04:26 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,388,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I said you received government services and benefits. We all do. But a very small percentage of people overpay for the government services and benefits we get, and about 95% of people underpay.
Yes, you didn't answer what I asked. You made up your own bit. Typical.

Quote:
That would only be true if you never use and/or purchase a patented and/or manufactured good or service. That's highly doubtful.
I don't personally benefit from any of those things, they do.

Quote:
At a $75,000 income, that would only be possible if you were single and took no tax deductions whatsoever. Or are you counting federal taxes other than income tax?
The 17% year I made a bit more. Self-employment tax adds a good bit onto there. I assure you that if it was less than 17%, it was by very little. I don't have the forms in front of me, just the wages, tax paid, and miniscule refund from my spreadsheet. So, I guess it is possible.

Quote:
No, thanks. But you can get your head out of the sand and actually start becoming more informed.
Yep...since you seem to know everything, and this discussion is about as productive as talking to my 19-month old, I'll call it a day.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Yes, you didn't answer what I asked. You made up your own bit. Typical.
No. You specifically asked if you received government assistance. I'm assuming you don't build your own interstate highways, man air traffic control towers yourself, regulate the airwaves yourself, etc.?

Quote:
I don't personally benefit from any of those things
You're using them, no? If you're using them, you benefit.

Quote:
Self-employment tax adds a good bit onto there.
What self-employment increase is there on the federal income tax?

Old 11-16-2013, 05:19 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,487,937 times
[quote=InformedConsent;32259611]Something you need to see...

Sorry, wrong address...

I am neither democrat nor Obama's fan and don't consider owners small businesses making $150K (or anyone else) part of the the top 1%. This thread is about people who grab 20, 30, $50M in one transaction. People who simply put millions with managers "for investment". That said, I would not want a different economic system, just a society with different values.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:14 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,747,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Your post that I originally commented on was nothing but the same old left wing crybaby nonsense that people like you have been mewling out ad nauseum for years....
More vacuous rationalization for being unable to craft a legitimate response to moral repudiation of perspectives that you prefer. Please try expressing a moral thought in your next reply, rather than just self-serving avaricious claptrap, so it too won't be vacuous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Wow. Just wow.
Why are you surprised? Blaming the victim is just another facet of the immorality of right-wing extremism.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post

Sorry, wrong address...

I am neither democrat nor Obama's fan and don't consider owners small businesses making $150K (or anyone else) part of the the top 1%. This thread is about people who grab 20, 30, $50M in one transaction.
Really? Look at the THREAD TITLE. It attacks the entire top 1%. That INCLUDES hard-working professionals and small business owners.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
More vacuous rationalization for being unable to craft a legitimate response to moral repudiation of perspectives that you prefer.
What's "moral" about living off of the fruits of someone else's labor, taken forcefully from them by threat of imprisonment? That's called slavery.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:53 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,266,803 times
Quote:
THREAD TITLE. It attacks the entire top 1%. That INCLUDES hard-working professionals and small business owners.
It does not include the 1%, because the definition of small business owner has been redefined in the past few years, a multi-million dollar company can now be called, a small business, even though it really is not.

Quote:
The legal definition of "small business" varies by country and by industry. In the United States the Small Business Administration establishes small business size standards on an industry-by-industry basis, but generally specifies a small business as having fewer than 250 employees for manufacturing businesses and less than $7 million in annual receipts for most non manufacturing businesses.[2] The definition can vary by circumstance – for example, a small business having fewer than 25 full-time equivalent employees with average annual wages below $50,000 qualifies for a tax credit under the health care reform bill Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.[3]
Small business - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But still, these "small businesses" are hardly the 1%'ers.

Quote:
The One Percent is a 2006 documentary about the growing wealth gap between America's wealthy elite compared to the overall citizenry. It was created by Jamie Johnson, an heir to the Johnson & Johnson fortune, and produced by Jamie Johnson and Nick Kurzon. The film's title refers to the top one percent of Americans in terms of wealth, who controlled 42.2 percent of total financial wealth in 2004.[1]
The One Percent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies