Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 06:49 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Why does that need to change? Did they steal what they have or something? If it's stolen, then yes something needs to be done about this. If they earned it, it's theirs not anyone else's to worry about. I'm also not sure I want to live in a country that is against gaining wealth. The only way you'll stop this is to steal it from them. You see what you are missing is only the top works hard enough to accumulate this kind of wealth. Why are you blaming them for the rest of the folks who didn't do things like start up Microsoft, invent something, start a chain of businesses, or have the good fortune to have been born to parents who did..etc, etc, ect...? There is nothing stopping you from taking out loans and starting your own business and working it until you succeed. Personally, I'm too lazy to do that so I work a job like most folks but I don't begrudge those who have worked for what they have for what they have. Perhaps they worked harder than me, are smarter than me or are just luckier than me but it's theirs not mine.

I'm not sure who told you life was supposed to be fair but they lied to you.

I really don't care how much wealth the top 1% has. It isn't mine and doesn't affect me. Now if they want to just cut me a check for a million, I'd be ever so grateful......but it is theirs to do with as they wish.
Amen bruh!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 10:56 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Whats fascinating here is how some people seem to think we're talking about people that come here and own 7-11's. They dont seem to understand that a certain level of wealth inequality (such as that earned by working hard) is great, while extreme wealth inequality more and more caused by simply having the money is bad. Nor do they REALLY comprehend how much wealth inequality we're talking about here.

We can back that up with facts and statistics, and it really wont matter-either they think they're "wealthy" lol, and forget you I've got mine! Or they have a fixed belief, and wont accept things that challenge their viewpoints.

These are the same people that insist Obama is not an American citizen, despite that having been debunked repeatedly. No matter the evidence they wont change their belief. They do not live in a factually based world unless those facts match up to their beliefs.

Its kinda sad to see this.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:40 AM

603 posts, read 877,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Liberals don't hate the 1%. They just think the 1% should pay more taxes and that policies should be formed to limit income inequality.
Why should they pay more taxes? The 1% already pay a disproportionate amount of this country's federal taxes. If you look at a breakdown of federal tax brackets around the world, you'll see that the U.S. levies some of the highest percentage taxes on the "rich."

What I am in favor of is closing/reducing many of the tax breaks that the 1% receive.

Income inequality comes with global expansion of enterprise. That's just the way it works, and there's only so much we can do to mitigate. What I do know is that nearly 1/2 this nation pays no federal taxes, unemployment is still high, the labor force participation rate is at its lowest level since Jimmy Carter was in office, and the U.S. economy is not growing. Instead of focusing our efforts on demonizing the "rich," we need to focus on getting America working again, and raising incomes for common people.

One thing I've learned over the years is that the federal government is woefully inefficient. If they collect more in taxes, much of that added revenue will be squandered through the bureaucracy in Washington. Obama and the Democrats got their tax increases in January, yet the deficit is still set to hit ~$700-800 trillion this year. Bush was not fiscally-conservative at all, but he never reached a deficit that high.

Plus, look at how many millions were spent on the disastrous roll-out of Obamacare. It's clear that the government can't do anything right; I just don't understand why Liberals are so hell-bent on giving the government more money.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:09 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,315,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Why does that need to change? Did they steal what they have or something? If it's stolen, then yes something needs to be done about this. If they earned it, it's theirs not anyone else's to worry about. I'm also not sure I want to live in a country that is against gaining wealth. The only way you'll stop this is to steal it from them. You see what you are missing is only the top works hard enough to accumulate this kind of wealth. Why are you blaming them for the rest of the folks who didn't do things like start up Microsoft, invent something, start a chain of businesses, or have the good fortune to have been born to parents who did..etc, etc, ect...? There is nothing stopping you from taking out loans and starting your own business and working it until you succeed. Personally, I'm too lazy to do that so I work a job like most folks but I don't begrudge those who have worked for what they have for what they have. Perhaps they worked harder than me, are smarter than me or are just luckier than me but it's theirs not mine.

I'm not sure who told you life was supposed to be fair but they lied to you.

I really don't care how much wealth the top 1% has. It isn't mine and doesn't affect me. Now if they want to just cut me a check for a million, I'd be ever so grateful......but it is theirs to do with as they wish.
Actually they have. Are you old enough to remember at one time you could put 100.00 in the bank and leave it there and watch it grow from the interest, now if you left it in too long you will owe the bank money from all of the fees. Do you remember when atm transactions were free or were at little cost to the consumers, but now you can see fees as much as 5.00 a pop. Have you noticed that penny candy is now a quarter? The banks have defrauded millions out of their homes and sold deritives and in the process made billions of dollars. Medical Insurance and care has skyrocketed over the years and this was BEFORE the ACA. The government has created unnecessary wars that has put billions in politicians and a selected few "investors" pockets (Carlye Group, Haliburton, KBR ect) who specialize in war profiteering. Companies that took their plants overseas and pretty much destroyed our middle class but made many people extremely wealthy while buying off politicians to take away the safety net that many Americans depend on. So basically they are making more money to repeat the cycle and put more of us into the working poor class while they become even richer.

What suprises me is that those of us who are not struggling are turned against those who are by the wealthy (i.e Koch brothers) with the lie that they are on your side. The really sad thing about it is all of the people that actually believe that the people that are in bad financial shape is because they are lazy and want free stuff and not because there are no jobs.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:28 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
That video ignores the fact that an influx of millions of immigrants (most of which with no wealth) is the primary cause of the growing inequality of wealth.
First: Prove that that is the primary cause of the excessive concentration of wealth on the right side of the chart in the video. Second: Prove that the other causes that people are talking to you about aren't substantial contributors to the problems along the left side of the chart in the video, regardless. I'm supportive of the Republican position on immigration rather than the Democratic position, but I think you're simply blowing smoke with the bait and switch nonsense you're projecting to try to evade the rightful moral repudiation of the egoistic avarice of the perspective you prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Cut and paste, cut and paste, all day long he cuts and pastes....
Are you and old_cold still spewing that childish nonsense? You do realize I hope that every time you attack me personally you prove yet again that you have no legitimate perspective of your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
How many of these nifty little paragraphs that talk a lot and say nothing do you have saved as a Word file so you can just copy and paste them over and over?
None. How many do you have? How much right-wing Kool Aid do you have at your fingertips?

You don't recognize what I'm posting, do you? It's called basic human decency. It's called holding what you support to account for its moral repugnance. I abide the basic principles of civilized society which I apply to call the self-serving claptrap of the right-wing to account for its inadequacy.

Quote:
Repeating it again and again does not give it any more weight than it had the first time
Which is incidentally what I said, in what you are whining about. How nice... you've decided to try to "I know you are but what am I" argument.

Quote:
Nice little world you live in. I'm sure.
Back at you, D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Wealth inequality has grown because the rich are becoming richer, and the middle class and poor persons wages are stagnant and are losing ground, not because of immigration, which is, another right wing talking point parroted in internet forums and blogs.

This link discusses wealth distribution and disparity.
Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

Daily chart: The rich get richer | The Economist
Indeed. The increase in the depth of poverty tracks the increase in productivity leading to profit. How the heck can any intelligent person miss that connection? Answer: They can't: They just deny it because if they admitted it, even just to themselves, it would destroy their fragile, house-of-cards perspective.

Last edited by bUU; 11-18-2013 at 03:41 AM..

Old 11-18-2013, 04:13 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,057,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Take your illegal immigration rants to the immigration forum, and stop trying to hijack a good thread.

How is this an anti-immigration rant? Stop using straw man attacks as a way to chicken out.

You have refused to answer the question. No liberal on here has. Be brave for a change.

If our wealth inequality shows a huge disparity that is unhealthy for the country, why should we allow millions of no/low wealth immigrants in to the country that would mathematically make the wealth inequality worse and therefore be more unhealthy for the country?

It is a simple question. It seems that you are caught being disingenuous. Either you don't think that we are at a dangerous level of wealth inequality or you are trying to hurt the country by making the wealth inequality worse.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:53 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,943,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
It gets sent to every country the immigrants come from. I have a friend whose wife is Filipino and they send money there. We know of a few Salvadorans who send their cash down there.

You wanna know the sad part? The present regime has no problem with it at all.
The amount sent back is peanuts.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:00 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
The "poor" live like kings in this country off the work of the productive and they always want more. Screw them and screw the politicians that give it to them; easy to be generous with other peoples money after all.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:06 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
One is adding more value to society is definitely earned where as one is simply attained by relationship to the earner.

Where exactly have I discussed confiscating people's inheritance?
People who reinvest their inheritance help to create jobs. What other recourse is there, give it to Uncle Sam to flounder away?

Old 11-18-2013, 06:26 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,943,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
The "poor" live like kings in this country off the work of the productive and they always want more. Screw them and screw the politicians that give it to them; easy to be generous with other peoples money after all.
Yeah, they live like Kings -- with their limos and private jets. Oh wait.

If the poor live like Kings, why is it that nobody offers to trade places?

Of course, the facts are that most people who are aided by the government work. Others are elderly or disabled. Yeah, screw'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies