Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 01:46 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,298,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The policies of conservatives is to have students pay their full freight to go to college and they are against government grants and loans. How does that make it easier to get rich?

Children that are successes in school get breakfast. Yet, conservatives have repeatedly fought the school nutrition programs. How does that make it easier to get rich?

Woman do better economically when they don't have children too early. Yet, conservative policies are against contraceptives and birth control. How does that make it easier to get rich?

What you wrote makes a good slogan that doesn't parallel reality.
I think it is interesting you write about what conservatives supposedly believe. I don't agree with your characterization - but most important there are no real policies in place as you describe. But liberals continue to enact and preserve programs that capture people in poverty and destroy the family structure.

On a national scale, there are no programs that limit the availability of contraceptives. Poor women that have babies too early didn't do so because they couldn't get a contraceptive.

Conservatives have no inherent opposition to people borrowing money for education. They DO have problems with where the funds come from - and whether the borrower doesn't end up repaying the loan. I have a problem with large amounts of debt for degrees that produce coffee shop workers. That is a poor use of debt (and public funds).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 01:48 PM

7,279 posts, read 11,013,251 times
Becoming wealthy isn't easy. That is the liberal mind talking when someone says something is hard or harder to accomplish. Darn right, if becoming wealthy was easy, then everyone would be wealthy.

So explain what happens if everyone on the planet had one million dollars in cold hard cash.

Same people would be complaining and crying like babies that someone else had 2 million and so on.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:50 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,177,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
There's other ways the government can fix the issue. One would be providing tax incentives for companies who invest in their employees.

I believe we need to be innovative in our policy decisions. You don't have to "confiscate" wealth, but you can do things to promote a healthier economy.
Quote:
Once again, where have I advocated wealth confiscation? Keep up with the discussion.

So again. Please explain how income inequality is good for the economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
And you would like to take money from the wealthy and give it to people who aren't. Thanks for proving my point.

Your memory can't be that short. And I don't believe it is.

If you don't have an intelligent point, you don't have an intelligent point. Don't just keep repeating the same tired talking point.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:51 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,476,408 times
Sigh. 18 pages of bickering. Lets ask 3 simple questions.

1. Do you or do you not want to live in a plutocracy? If the answer is no, then this needs to change.

2. Do you, or do you not believe we are a consumer driven economy? If the answer is yes, then this needs to change.

3. Do you, or do you not believe that money can define who our leaders are in this country, if you do, then this needs to change.

If any of those three questions say we need to change, then we do. This is not that complex when you look at it. Where it gets complex is when people start ascribing Greed or Jealousy to either side. Both are kind of irrelevant. Again go back to those 3 questions. Are any of them correct? Do we need to change?

A long time ago a hard working individual could easily propel himself into the ranks of the wealthy by a combination of hard work and luck. As the inequalities have widened the amount of sheer luck needed has increased. Hard work is no longer sufficient.

People saying "but those 1% pay 40% of the taxes"...what the heck is wrong with you? THATs the whole point...those 1% CAN do that, and with ease! Thats how much wealth inequality has grown.

And its going to get worse if we continue to do nothing. It takes money to make money. And as automation continues, its going to change from having the best people, to just having the capital.

Scream about wealth redistribution, jealousy, greed, sloth, stealing, or how "hard" the top 1% works.....in the end...go back and look at those three questions.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:53 PM

6,372 posts, read 7,860,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
B...So explain what happens if everyone on the planet had one million dollars in cold hard cash.
If everyone had a million dollars in cold hard cash . . . you'd see the inflation rate go through the stratosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Becoming wealthy isn't easy. That is the liberal mind talking when someone says something is hard or harder to accomplish. Darn right, if becoming wealthy was easy, then everyone would be wealthy.

So explain what happens if everyone on the planet had one million dollars in cold hard cash.

Same people would be complaining and crying like babies that someone else had 2 million and so on.
The value of the dollar would decrease drastically. It wouldn't be worth "1 million dollars" in today's terms.

If your scenario were to take place, the best goods and services would be priced the highest and those sellers would become relatively wealthy.

6,073 posts, read 4,784,624 times
Quote:
Your memory can't be that short. And I don't believe it is.

If you don't have an intelligent point, you don't have an intelligent point. Don't just keep repeating the same tired talking point.
aren't you a member of occucry? perhaps you all should have followed your own advice.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:54 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,089,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Your response basically admits that you cannot counter a single point that I made. Calling something a lie that you cannot dispute doesn't make it a lie.
I'm a conservative and nothing you posted applies to me therefore yes, I can dispute everything you said and prove that they're lies. Try again train boy.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:57 PM

The whole discussion that we're having right now as far as the Economy was brought to the forefront by the Occupy Movement.

Hell yes I support Occupy. They scared the sh*t out of certain institutions in this country.

You can have all the money in the world but the human element is unpredictable and can take all that "supposed" power away from you at any given time.

People learn nothing from history.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:57 PM

89,677 posts, read 45,338,803 times
Quote:
That's because the earning disparities are so high.
Actually, there's a disparity in taxes. The top 1% earns about 19% of the income but pays about 40% of the federal income tax revenue. Their share of the taxes is too high. At the very least, we should redistribute tax liabilities to more accurately reflect actual income share.

All IRS data here:
Latest IRS Federal Income Tax Data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies