Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:05 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,230,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Are you saying there are countless mock terrorist drills going on every day ?
How do you know that ? How do you just sit there and come to these conclusions ?

The military and local LE should NOT be performing mock drills/invasions on unsuspecting citizens.
They need to go back to their training camps and do it there like they always have.

Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

You think that "one example" I gave is the only situation in the entire US that happened ?
You need 100-200 examples to think otherwise ?
It's happened more than once. Go research that one for yourself.
Every public k-12 school in this area does school shooter/lock down drills. My son who's at UNL just did one in his dorm as part of his first week at school. I did a quick search on google and I only found a couple of instances of schools where the students weren't warned in advance. If students are involved without warning, as I said earlier, that's inexcusable.

You act like lockdown drills are a new thing. Some schools have been doing them for the last 30 or 40 years. If you support every lunatic in the country being able to have easy access to a gun, this is the new reality.

Back to Lockdown Basics - Article - Campus Safety Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,724,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Every school in this area does school shooter/lock down drills. My son who's at UNL just did one in his dorm as part of his first week at school. I did a quick search on google and I only found a couple of instances of schools where the students weren't warned in advance. If students are involved without warning, as I said earlier, that's inexcusable.

You act like lockdown drills are a new thing. Some schools have been doing them for the last 30 or 40 years. If you support every lunatic in the country being able to have easy access to a gun, this is the new reality.

Back to Lockdown Basics - Article - Campus Safety Magazine
I'm talking about the ones with shooters involved, LE involved, mock exercises by LE and the military where citizens are the victims.

I don't think there are countless of those going on where the victims know what will happen.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,277,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
reading through the article, it qappears most of these "drills" are taking place in what could be considered "gun free" zones; that is, areas where it can safely be assumed that the general populace is not armed.
I wonder why there have been no drills in small towns in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, etc. where it is a pretty safe bet the general populace is armed to the teeth?
Perhaps they think the populace might take the "aggressors" on before the "cops" can arrive?
Exactly. This kind of terrorizing of people is a necessary result of creating the wild wild west in modern America. If your position is that everyone should be armed and expect to be shot by someone with an arsenal of easily-obtained guns, you have to train people either how to hide or how to shoot back.

I presume, Redraven, from your post, that students and teachers in those states are prepared for the latter.

Awesome. Either option makes us the least civilized nation in the world.

But my main point is, no gun lover has any reason to be upset by these kinds of things, since they are exactly what gun lovers WANT us to do: To be prepared for being shot at, a normal part of American society.

And I see that while I was composing my post, mb1547 stated it more succinctly.

Quote:
If you support every lunatic in the country being able to have easy access to a gun, this is the new reality.

Last edited by jmqueen; 08-26-2013 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I'm talking about the ones with shooters involved, LE involved, mock exercises by LE and the military where citizens are the victims.

I don't think there are countless of those going on where the victims know what will happen.
Most states require school lock down drills by state statute, including sheltering in AND an evacuation plan. They can, but they usually don't, involve law enforcement. As I have repeatedly said, if students and parents are comfortable with their child being part of a training exercise with law enforcement, and if everyone knows exactly what's going on in advance, I have no problem with it. You've given one example of a drill where the students weren't warned (the teachers and admin knew), and I found a couple of others on google--one involving teachers in Oregon, and another at a school (involving students and teachers) in Harlem. Everyone--parents and teachers--were outraged, and they were all controversial enough that they made the news--as they should.

You make it sound like the police just came storming into the building or staged an attack on a school without notice. In every instance of "surprise attacks", if you take the time to read the articles, the school administrators recruited LE for the drill, or partnered with them, and knew exactly what was going on. That's a leadership problem within those particular schools, and those administrators need to lose their jobs. Thank goodness for locally elected school boards, because IF that happened at my school, most of the parents in the district would be storming the next school board meeting, and heads would roll. I'm confident that our school leadership would never be that stupid.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:24 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,310,410 times
Quote:
Why are you trivializing these mock terrorist training drills on US citizens ?
I didn't. I didn't even comment on them.

I was responding to your trivialization of chielgirl's post. And giving you your daily history lesson. You're welcome. (Reminding you that we are celebrating the 50th anniversary of Dr. King's "I have a dream" speech didn't seem apropos.)

Old 08-26-2013, 09:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,724,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Exactly. This kind of terrorizing of people is a necessary result of creating the wild wild west in modern America. If your position is that everyone should be armed and expect to be shot by someone with an arsenal of easily-obtained guns, you have to train people either how to hide or how to shoot back.

I presume, Redraven, from your post, that students and teachers in those states are prepared for the latter.

Awesome. Either option makes us the least civilized nation in the world.

But my main point is, no gun lover has any reason to be upset by these kinds of things, since they are exactly what gun lovers WANT us to do: To be prepared for being shot at, a normal part of American society.

And I see that while I was composing my post, mb1547 stated it more succinctly.
So you're no longer concerned with foreign terrorists. Just fellow Americans with guns.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:35 AM

Personally I believe that it was far worse for the students in all of my town's schools, and in all surrounding schools, being in lockdown for the entire day when the Sandy Hook massacre occurred, not knowing if a whacko with a gun might show up at any moment.

They were told there was an incident, but no details. They were told to be prepared in lockdown and that it was NOT a drill. Remember that no one knew for hours that it was an isolated nut job who had killed himself.

Imagine what that was like. Six hours in lockdown, not knowing when someone might come for you.

Welcome to America!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
So you're no longer concerned with foreign terrorists. Just fellow Americans with guns.
Hm, where did I say that?

And I do believe that the number of school massacres by American nutjobs with readily obtainable guns far outnumber foreign terrorist attacks on schools.

In case you hadn't noticed, most of these drills don't involve bombings, or gas attacks, or flying planes into buildings, or any of the favored weapons of foreign terrorist attacks. They're about American nutjobs with readily obtainable guns.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:39 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,600,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No. We just lived with the very real, every day knowledge that the Russians could drop a nuclear bomb on our heads and obliterate us into nothingness at any time.

One Friday a month we heard the sirens go off and got to duck and cover while we listened to them drone all around us. We all knew we'd be gone in a poof if the button had been hit. And, should we live, we expected Russian tanks to roll down our streets. (I lived in the heart of the defense industry. We'd have been among the first to go and we knew it.)

Your history lesson for the day: The Cuban Missile Crisis. Thirteen days in October, 1962. Death was a very real possibility for all the little kids who had practiced for just that event. Horrible days. Truly horrible.
No comparison, unless your parents frightened you. Back then parents were worried about children having nightmares. Yes, we were taught that if we got under our desks we'd be safe. We weren't scared, most of us giggled as we did these drills. We were taught we'd be safe if we did what we were told. Even bomb shelters weren't scary, we believed we'd be fine. Pretty much the same scenario as hurricanes or tornadoes.
This is entirely different. They want the parents as frightened as possible, along with the kids. Back then, was no staging, there was no fake blood.
Boston started out as a drill, then they decided to create a false flag. Sandy Hook may have also been a drill.
We can't believe anything we are are told or think we see today.

Last edited by claudhopper; 08-26-2013 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
That's the much more likely threat for a school shooting, based on past experience in this country--some local nut with a gun who decides to storm a school, movie theater, etc. and kill lots of people. That said, a shooter is a shooter--WHY they're shooting up a school doesn't really matter if you're in the middle of trying to keep kids out of the line of fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies