Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:25 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,243,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Why would a parent expose their child to this intentionally? And yes, this was during a school day. If what you say is true, prove it. Have you seen the list of schools participating in the op?
If my kids were in late elementary through High School, they wanted to participate, and they knew clearly that it was a drill and they were playing a role, of course I'd let them participate. Would I let a child in early elementary participate? No. At that age some kids are a little to young to understand what's going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 08:30 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But that's not the same as a bus hijacking with kids tied up is it ?
There were no phony Russians that invaded your school and came into the classroom pointing guns at you.
No. We just lived with the very real, every day knowledge that the Russians could drop a nuclear bomb on our heads and obliterate us into nothingness at any time.

One Friday a month we heard the sirens go off and got to duck and cover while we listened to them drone all around us. We all knew we'd be gone in a poof if the button had been hit. And, should we live, we expected Russian tanks to roll down our streets. (I lived in the heart of the defense industry. We'd have been among the first to go and we knew it.)

Your history lesson for the day: The Cuban Missile Crisis. Thirteen days in October, 1962. Death was a very real possibility for all the little kids who had practiced for just that event. Horrible days. Truly horrible.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-26-2013 at 08:44 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,880,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No. We just lived with the very real, every day knowledge that the Russians could drop a nuclear bomb on our heads and obliterate us into nothingness.
Ok and since 9/11 we've lived with the terrorist threat of planes blowing up as you fly across the country.
Why are you trivializing these mock terrorist training drills on US citizens ?

This is beyond "preparing" and living with a threat.

You didn't grow up with the military and LE conducting nuclear fallout scenarios on US citizens.
A lockdown drill today is the same as an air raid drill of yesterday.
But today we have the added effect of actors playing out terrorist scenes.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:35 AM

79,402 posts, read 61,531,582 times
First I'd heard of this.

Sounds like some of these drills have gone wayyyyyy too far.

I can appreciate various drills...fire drills....tornado drills etc. are sensible things to do just don't take it too far like in some of these cases.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically its not something that caused problems in the past. Being 65 I can well remember Duck and cover drills and air raid siren test weekly. My father talked about drill at the place he worked in case of attack. But then again people of the past mostly had served in the military as far as adults and knew that being prepared is always a good thing.Now days people rely too much on government coming to their rescue which is foolish as we have seen in disasters of those prepared ending up with best results unlike Katrina as a example.
That's just it. If you know what to do, you can help rather than be a hindrance to emergency personnel, and possibly save your own life. They do school shooter drills at our school, right along with fire drills and tornado drills, although it's an in-school thing vs. bringing in law enforcement. The kids know where to go in a room, to be quiet, to stay low, to cover up the door windows with paper and lock the doors, etc.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,061,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No. We just lived with the very real, every day knowledge that the Russians could drop a nuclear bomb on our heads and obliterate us into nothingness.
Yeah, we did know that. It didn't really worry us all that much. We lived 250 miles (give or take) East of a "Primary target", and about 200 miles West of a "primary Target", and about 4 miles from a "Secondary Target". Many of us were members of the old "Ground Observer Corps".
To most of us, it just didn't make sense to worry about something over which we had absolutely no control.
We lived 4 miles below a hydro-electric dam that had over 3 million acre-feet of water behind it. We didn't worry about it breaking, either.
The bomb never dropped, and the dam is still there...

Old 08-26-2013, 08:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,056,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Hyper-paranoid and fearful citizens grateful to be "protected" by an ever-expanding, heavily armed police state that justifies its existence by fake hijacking school busses, apparently.

Just think how much we could help the federal, state, and local budgets if we got the police state in check.
Nonsense. It's about putting on a show to keep the public good and scared so they'll keep paying for and supporting a police state.

Indeed it is.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
If my kids were in late elementary through High School, they wanted to participate, and they knew clearly that it was a drill and they were playing a role, of course I'd let them participate. Would I let a child in early elementary participate? No. At that age some kids are a little to young to understand what's going on.
In most cases they are not "clearly told".
In this case all they were told is that something would happen.

Part of urban warfare training is how to deal with the emotional populace.
If all the players knew what was going to happen the drill becomes moot.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In most cases they are not "clearly told".
In this case all they were told is that something would happen.

Part of urban warfare training is how to deal with the emotional populace.
If all the players knew what was going to happen the drill becomes moot.
You gave one example of a really dumb situation that should have NEVER happened. It's a big leap to say "in most cases." I'm sure drills have been conducted without warning, but they shouldn't be, and it makes the news when they do because parents are justifiably outraged. Countless drills go on every day that don't trick students into believing that it's a real event.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You gave one example of a really dumb situation that should have NEVER happened. It's a big leap to say "in most cases." I'm sure drills have been conducted without warning, but they shouldn't be, and it makes the news when they do because parents are justifiably outraged. Countless drills go on every day that don't trick students into believing that it's a real event.
Are you saying there are countless mock terrorist drills going on every day ?
How do you know that ? How do you just sit there and come to these conclusions ?

The military and local LE should NOT be performing mock drills/invasions on unsuspecting citizens.
They need to go back to their training camps and do it there like they always have.

Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

You think that "one example" I gave is the only situation in the entire US that happened ?
You need 100-200 examples to think otherwise ?
It's happened more than once. Go research that one for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies