Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:29 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,237,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Wow, this must have been 5th time I told you that following someone was no illegal. Being followed doesn't justify use of force, any force.

Martin could stand his ground all right and had no duty to retreat but he surely did have the duty NOT to attack!!!
Yes...when you think that someone unidentified is followIng you and is armed, due to the fact that they reach into their pocket when you confront them, you assume the Lotus Position and commence to chant thus.... OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Last edited by sickofnyc; 07-15-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:30 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,711,372 times
Quote:
Are you sure? Were you there? How can you be so sure that it was not Zimmerman's face fell onto Martin's fist?
I don't need to be in this case. It's ludicrous to think that Zimmerman fell on TM's fist several times, giving himself a broken nose, two black eyes AND then slammed his own head into the pavement until his head split open....

Old 07-15-2013, 11:30 AM

26,691 posts, read 14,674,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Hey, do you remember that George Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin to death? What is this "lack of injuries" you speak of?
Lack of the kind of injuries that Zimmerman started the fight first.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Wow, this must have been 5th time I told you that following someone was no illegal. Being followed doesn't justify use of force, any force.

Martin could stand his ground all right and had no duty to retreat but he surely did have the duty NOT to attack!!!
ITA! Following someone is not a crime. Attacking someone who is following you is.

When I took self defense, I was taught to walk quickly to somewhere where I could get help if I was being followed. Turning around and attacking could be a death sentence.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Hey, do you remember that George Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin to death? What is this "lack of injuries" you speak of?
Lack of injuries indicating that Zimmerman was attacking TM. It was TM attacking Zimmerman. Zimmerman then shot in self defense to end the beating. Unfortunately, the shot was fatal.

TM had two injuries. His fist was bloodied and the gunshot wound indicating that he was doing the beating. Given the gunshot wound was fatal, I don't think it came first. That means TM was beating Zimmerman before he was shot. This very well could be a case of self defense and, in our justice system, the benefit of a doubt goes to the defendant in such cases. It was up to the prosecution to prove this was not a self defense shooting. They failed to make their case.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't need to be in this case. It's ludicrous to think that Zimmerman fell on TM's fist several times, giving himself a broken nose, two black eyes AND then slammed his own head into the pavement until his head split open....

It's only ludicrous that certain people refuse to see the obvious. It's very obvious that Zimmerman fell onto Martin's fist multiple times, then he fired at Martin after he got a broken nose and two black eyes, the recoil knocked him over onto his back and he hit his head on the way down.

Martin was standing there doing absolutely no harm to anybody and just got shot.

How can people not see this?

Old 07-15-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Yes...when you think that someone unidentified is followIng you is armed, due to the fact that they reach into their pocket when you confront them, you assume the Lotus Position and start to chant thus.... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Why would you confront your follower if you think he's that dangerous?

Old 07-15-2013, 11:38 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,697,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Lack of injuries indicating that Zimmerman was attacking TM. It was TM attacking Zimmerman. Zimmerman then shot in self defense to end the beating. Unfortunately, the shot was fatal.

TM had two injuries. His fist was bloodied and the gunshot wound indicating that he was doing the beating. Given the gunshot wound was fatal, I don't think it came first.
So much conjecture here, I don't even know where to begin. There is only one person who knows exactly what happened. Anyone else concocting a storyline is speculating at best, and making s**t up at worst. About 99% of the comments on city-data regarding this case are the latter.

All we know for sure is that (1) George Zimmerman was following Trayvon Martin (against the advice of the police dispatcher); and (2) George Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin to death. A jury (presumably) weighed the evidence and decided it was self-defense. That doesn't mean any of them know exactly what happened.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:39 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,098,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
One of the key timeline issues the defense pointed out was the amount of time Martin had to get home after initially running from Zimmerman. This allowed the defense to separate the two incidents... i.e. Zimmerman profiling/following Martin was disconnected from Martin "assaulting" Zimmerman. Combine that with the physical injuries that Zimmerman received and the lack of injuries (other than the GSW) to Martin, and it's easy to see how the defense won the trial.

In hindsight, do you think the prosecution should have more forcefully introduced the theory that it was Martin who was acting in self defense? After all, the Florida self defense/stand your ground law doesn't require a person in fear of their life (evidenced by Martin initially running from Zimmerman) to retreat... thus there was no requirement for Martin to run home, and he was well within his rights to lay in wait for Zimmerman and jump out in self defense as Zimmerman walked through the neighborhood searching for Martin.

It just seems to me that the defense was able to win this case by separating the two confrontations between Zimmerman and Martin... and the prosecution, by sitting idly, allowed that swap of aggressor/self defender.
The problem with that theory is that Rachel testified that TM said he had made it close to his back porch. This would indicate that he had reached safety if he was fearful. The fact that he left safety to go to the area where the confrontation occurred would indicate that he was no longer fearful. This was the point of the 4 minutes of silence during the trial.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
It's only ludicrous that certain people refuse to see the obvious. It's very obvious that Zimmerman fell onto Martin's fist multiple times, then he fired at Martin after he got a broken nose and two black eyes, the recoil knocked him over onto his back and he hit his head on the way down.

Martin was standing there doing absolutely no harm to anybody and just got shot.

How can people not see this?
I don't know. Now that you say it, it's clear as the nose on my armpit.... Zimmerman is very talented to have pulled this off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies