Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:50 PM

278 posts, read 278,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorderoAries View Post
LOL. The original BET founder sold out and sold the company for millions or billions of dollars and now it is white and Jewish owned. I don't know why they acting upset when they don't own BET anymore. BET has not been black owned for many years. It's been white and Jewish owned for years. There is no need for blacks or the original black founders to get mad. Originality cannot be compromised for the dollar and they clearly and obviously chose the dollar over originality and integrity.

And besides whites and people of ALL races have negative and trashy and positive and classy roles so and a diverse body and variety of portrayals so why is it when black roles exist, blacks and others argue it or single it out as degrading or racist or minstrel like? For example, if a black person gets a positive role, blacks say it's too fake and not authentic, then give them a ghetto or negative trash roll and they say it's racist, when they were complaining about having creativity and fun and freedom and being represented. You can't have it both ways and complain just to complain.

Just like with black females saying they want more inclusion and sexual freedom on screen and being free but then turn around and call it degrading and disparaging to blacks and women, then when they give them roles that portray the opposite they complain that it's controlling their freedom and if you don't include blacks or peopleof color, they say oh it's racist and say oh it's still racist. So it seems like either way you can't please black people or people at times. They'll complain and come up with hypocritical clap trap arguments ALL the damn time contradicting themselves and trying to spin it and have it both ways. It just never ends. *Sigh*
70 years later, the stereotype continues to ring true

Old 03-18-2014, 02:11 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,046,698 times
Such a network shouldn't even exist to begin with. Black people are not a monotononized group, they're all their own unique individuals with their own different tastes just like everyone else. Trying to make a network around someone's skin color is ignorance to the highest degree! Its generalizing people and attaching false personality traits based upon something entirely superficial as skin color.

Imagine if someone made a '' White Entertainment Network''? That would be called racist. It also wouldn't make any sense. Ask yourself '' What do white people like? '', its impossible to answer because we all like different things. So why do we assume that people with darker skin are not all their own individuals with their own tastes like everyone else? There should no black, white, Asia etc... networks. There should just be networks.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:31 PM

334 posts, read 456,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Such a network shouldn't even exist to begin with. Black people are not a monotononized group, they're all their own unique individuals with their own different tastes just like everyone else. Trying to make a network around someone's skin color is ignorance to the highest degree! Its generalizing people and attaching false personality traits based upon something entirely superficial as skin color.

Imagine if someone made a '' White Entertainment Network''? That would be called racist. It also wouldn't make any sense. Ask yourself '' What do white people like? '', its impossible to answer because we all like different things. So why do we assume that people with darker skin are not all their own individuals with their own tastes like everyone else? There should no black, white, Asia etc... networks. There should just be networks.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:24 PM

8,578 posts, read 8,603,403 times
Quote:
Imagine if someone made a '' White Entertainment Network''? .

This nonsense again. FYI almost every network can be called "White Entertainment Network" given that the demographic which they most favor is 25-54 WHITEs. This because it is the largest demographic. So their programming is aimed at attracting this group.

Others must content themselves with programming on niche networks like TV ONE. I mean how many shows do you see like the Cosby Show, built around an upper middle class black family, do you see these days on the 4 main networks?

I will not even get into the almost complete absence of Asian and Hispanic actors who don't even get a chance to play roles within programming aimed at whites (like Scandal), much less have programming which portrays their lives and families.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:35 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,345,929 times
Quote:

Yeah, well it DOES exist and it's thriving apparently.

Whether or not there's a Black Entertainment Network is not and shouldn't be contingent upon whether or not it has a white counterpart.

If white owned networks had been playing more black content, or giving more opportunities to blacks, they wouldn't have needed to start BET.

And what the hell is a monotononized group?

Old 05-16-2014, 09:24 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,318,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Co-Founder of BET Slams Network, Says It 'Reinforces Negative Stereotypes' | Kulture Kritic

When Sheila and her husband-at-the-time Robert Johnson owned the network, the racy “BET Uncut” music video series would broadcast late in the evening. Remember that little gem??? I sure do!! Youtube the video "Tip Drill", if you wanna see what I'm talking about.

I agree with her words in the article.......But she and her husband gave it all away.....I agree with her. But I also wanna tell her to sit down and shut her pie hole!

Read that full article.....tell me what you think.....
This is a stupid argument that bypasses a lot.

It is the Negro finishing school of political thinking.

It says if only black people weren't so messed up then white people would like us and wouldn't stereotype us.

But this perspective ignores reality, there is a stereotype about black people liking chicken and watermelon and many pictures drawn and figurines made about this stereotype attempting to demean black people, but of course there is nothing wrong with liking either food, nothing bad about liking either food and yet in the mind of a racist.... it is bad and is used to demean black.

In other words, racists are gonna be racist no matter what black people do.

It is understandable why this kind of thinking came about, but ultimately it is self defeating and accepts the inherent inferiority of black people as basically true.

Look no group in this nation engages in more "negative" entertainment than white folks. Nobody, so in order for me to believe that some entertainer or network is hurting black people I have to ask why doesn't all the immoral, crap entertainment that white folks have been putting out for DECADES not hurt and destroyed them?

[MOD CUT/flaming]

Old 06-02-2014, 01:07 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,608,552 times
BET is the most unintentionally hilarious thing on television. Back when I had cable I'd stop at it for awhile for some quick laughs of the old school vaudeville blackface variety.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:41 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,345,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
BET is the most unintentionally hilarious thing on television. Back when I had cable I'd stop at it for awhile for some quick laughs of the old school vaudeville blackface variety.
BET is exactly like it's competition.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:22 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,608,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
BET is exactly like it's competition.
I get that it's lowest common denominator competing against lowest common denominator, but I take a bit of pleasure in the unique black buffoonery BET offered for the "other" quality; I have little doubt were I of the black persuasion I would be similarly amused+horrified+stupefied by say, "Honey Boo Boo".

We're all voyeurs at heart and like to look on the inside from the outside.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:43 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,839,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Co-Founder of BET Slams Network, Says It 'Reinforces Negative Stereotypes' | Kulture Kritic

When Sheila and her husband-at-the-time Robert Johnson owned the network, the racy “BET Uncut” music video series would broadcast late in the evening. Remember that little gem??? I sure do!! Youtube the video "Tip Drill", if you wanna see what I'm talking about.

I agree with her words in the article.......But she and her husband gave it all away.....I agree with her. But I also wanna tell her to sit down and shut her pie hole!

Read that full article.....tell me what you think.....

You got to stand for something, or you will fall for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies