Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 10:38 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,524,879 times

Advertisements

she's right. BET is pretty much garbage, though I like Kevin Hart's show (real husbands of Hollywood I think it's called). They definitely need more news shows and documentary type programs like TV1. Shows like Find Our Missing on TV1 are helpful and well made. Also, they should make 106 and Park more teen friendly and try to promote positive themes. And BET is not alone in the garbage can. MTV is a shell of what it once was, though Catfish is one of my guilty pleasures.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator19 View Post
No you cant. You know those songs are full of the most low ghetto behaviors.
take my advice, you should quit now. up until the gangsta rap movement in the early 90s, most rap was very positive and uplifting. there are still rappers out there who have good things to say. only a person with zero rap knowledge would think otherwise. rap music is no better or worse than any other modern form of music.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I agree! She and her then husband sold out for a quick buck instead of using BET to making certain that the network was representative of the best aspects of Black Americans. The vast majority of today's negative media imagery of Blacks was started or pushed on their network so they are fully culpable for most of what we see today.
yeah, unless she's willing to accept her part in the downfall of the network it's hard for people not to see the hypocrisy.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:37 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,476,178 times
I don't watch BET. Not because I think it's bad TV but there is is just nothing on BET that interests me.

I used to watch MTV's Real World episodes a lot. And I'll admit I'm a fan of VH1's Mob Wives.

Really, I don't watch much MTV, VH1, or BET though.

I suppose there's a lot of sex promotion and violence in all of them.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:37 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,560,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
wtf are you talking about? did I say it was teen friendly or that it should be. get it together.
I misread.......sorry.....

Old 07-04-2013, 11:52 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,099,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
I like BET and lots of African-American culture in general. It's not all "gangsta". That just become the most popular piece of it because middle class, white, suburban kids adopted it. Much of African-American culture stresses family and religion, as well as community.
Problem is, there is too much of the Gangsta for the mainstream music lovers to take the time to filter through it to find anything of value to them. This relegates BET to the channels that get flipped through without taking anytime to appreciate what might be there. But what do I know? I am just a white conservative boomer.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:01 PM

199 posts, read 161,333 times
Apparently you don't know when to mind your business.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,103,220 times
The Viacom's Entertainment For Black People Network

Old 07-04-2013, 01:13 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,943,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Problem is, there is too much of the Gangsta for the mainstream music lovers to take the time to filter through it to find anything of value to them. This relegates BET to the channels that get flipped through without taking anytime to appreciate what might be there. But what do I know? I am just a white conservative boomer.
I am sympathetic. Media to the masses does not generally interest me no matter what the genre. However, there is a wealth of wonderful African American culture to be found. Shame that most people think of Snoop Dog when I say that

Old 07-04-2013, 02:01 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,446,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Co-Founder of BET Slams Network, Says It 'Reinforces Negative Stereotypes' | Kulture Kritic

When Sheila and her husband-at-the-time Robert Johnson owned the network, the racy “BET Uncut” music video series would broadcast late in the evening. Remember that little gem??? I sure do!! Youtube the video "Tip Drill", if you wanna see what I'm talking about.

I agree with her words in the article.......But she and her husband gave it all away.....I agree with her. But I also wanna tell her to sit down and shut her pie hole!

Read that full article.....tell me what you think.....
So after she cashes out, now she is concerned about images. Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies