Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 06:07 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,044,307 times

Advertisements

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the IRS Chair they threw under the bus new to that position???!!! He wasn't there when most of this occurred!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 06:09 PM

38,006 posts, read 22,193,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think they should all be fired. But I think the managers who knew about this and did nothing deserve more than that. I'm not sure what they deserve, but the people who should have known better, but allowed it to happen are more responsible than the silly people who implemented the policy.
I'm thinking this IRS scandal is much worse then we are lead to believe, by how quickly 0bama came out and fired this guy.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 PM

38,006 posts, read 22,193,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the IRS Chair they threw under the bus new to that position???!!! He wasn't there when most of this occurred!?!
Yes, he took the position in Nov. 2012. but he looks like he was right in the thick of this scandal:

Prior to his appointment as the Deputy Commissioner for Services and Enforcement, Steve served as the Commissioner of the Large Business and International Division. In this position, he had oversight for federal tax administration for domestic and foreign corporations and partnerships with assets of $10 million or more that have a United States tax filing requirement. Previously, as the Commissioner of the Tax Exempt and Government Entities Division, Steve oversaw the administration of tax law relating to employee plans, tax-exempt organizations and various government entities. Steve also served as the Director of Exempt Organizations and as the acting Assistant Commissioner and Special Assistant to the Assistant Commissioner, Employee Plans/Exempt Organizations. Other prior service includes several years in Chief Counsel, serving as a Congressional staff member for the Joint Committee on Taxation and work in private practice.

Acting Commissioner of Internal Revenue Steven T. Miller

Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,875,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
No he was there at the time, but as a deputy. He was subsequently appointed and Obama asked for his resignation presumably for being lax in dealing with those who actually did it. The Prez cannot deal with them, there are rules protecting employees that have to be followed. However, I am sure some people do not think employees should have any protections, well, unless of course it may be themselves.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
The first head rolls: O announces that Steve Miller, acting commissioner of the IRS and a man who’s known for a year about the agency’s targeting of conservatives, is out. Worth noting, though: Miller wasn’t commissioner when most of the targeting occurred. That was Doug Shulman, who left in November.

Open thread: Obama to address IRS scandal at 6 p.m. ET; Update: More than 75% of donations at Cincinnati IRS office went to Democrats; Update: Acting IRS commissioner resigns; Update: Was resigning anyway? « Hot Air

Old 05-15-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Yes, he took the position in Nov. 2012. but he looks like he was right in the thick of this scandal:

Prior to his appointment as the Deputy Commissioner for Services and Enforcement, Steve served as the Commissioner of the Large Business and International Division. In this position, he had oversight for federal tax administration for domestic and foreign corporations and partnerships with assets of $10 million or more that have a United States tax filing requirement. Previously, as the Commissioner of the Tax Exempt and Government Entities Division, Steve oversaw the administration of tax law relating to employee plans, tax-exempt organizations and various government entities. Steve also served as the Director of Exempt Organizations and as the acting Assistant Commissioner and Special Assistant to the Assistant Commissioner, Employee Plans/Exempt Organizations. Other prior service includes several years in Chief Counsel, serving as a Congressional staff member for the Joint Committee on Taxation and work in private practice.

Acting Commissioner of Internal Revenue Steven T. Miller
Then if he knew of this, he should be going to jail. Not fired. JAIL!

Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 PM

57,369 posts, read 26,285,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes, he shouldn't have been allowed to submit his resignations. They are allowed to resign so they keep their mouths shut.
Steven Miller will be testifying at the congressional hearing on friday.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:46 PM

7,962 posts, read 9,178,221 times
Couple of thoughts. Who are these low level employees and what connection do they have to any political groups? Curiously awaiting their testimony during Congressional investigation.
Isbthe distrust generated towards the IRS going to contribute to more distrust of Obamacare as the IRS is the policeman of Obamacare. Can they now be trusted in this role as a clear political bias has been found in the department?

Old 05-15-2013, 07:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
I see above and noted that Obama called him the "acting" director. Well according to him he was only in his role until June anyway.

Steven Miller is ousted but writes face-saving email announcing departure when his 'assignment ends in early June.'

Obama fires acting IRS commissioner as pressure grows surrounding political targeting of conservative groups that sought tax-exempt status | Mail Online

Was there any way he was going to stay beyond June anyway? No. So a guy who was on his way out anyway got to fall on the sword.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,148,098 times
The tsunami has been triggered. It hasn't even hit the shore yet. Just wait.....when desperation starts to hit the upper echelons of power, its gonna get really ugly. This is a President whose petulance is only matched by his vindictiveness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies