Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 12:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,290,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think it's a matter of profiling to find inappropriate applications. They targeted the types of groups they thought had a good chance of being inappropriate candidates for a 501(c)3 status. I personally am not a fan of profiling, but since half the people on this board jump up and down that every Muslim should be considered a threat, or that it's ok for the police to profile black people, I find it pretty funny that they're up in arms when the shoe is on the other foot.
As has been noted if you were going to do this you would also include words that would denote possible left leaning organizations also. They did not do that. They only targeted one view. The one counter to the presidents.

Quote:
A 501(c)3 HAS to be a literary, educational, charitable, religious or scientific group.

Which not all of these groups were applying for.

Quote:
The groups could have filed as 501(c)4 groups and they wouldn't have had to file ANYTHING with the IRS--you just declare yourself a (c)4.
To be exempt from state taxes you have to file and get authorization from the IRS. It also allows you to use the non profit mailing rate among other benefits. Such as proving you are actually a non profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 12:33 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,216,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
So answer this. .

Did the groups profiled approval chances differ from other similar groups?

What was the harm/impact?
That's what we'll find out with an investigation. The IRS has had their budget cut by 17%, and the applications for 501(c)3 status have gone through the roof. I don't like profiling, but legitimately, they had to come up with some kind of plan to catch a bigger proportion of inappropriate applications with fewer staff. I personally don't know of any liberal 501(c)3 groups (and I used to run nonprofit agencies) that attempt to do campaign work, because anyone helping them with the application would know it was prohibited, and comparable groups in the community would be able to explain to them that they can't do that kind of work. I'm guessing the IRS got a bunch of applications from tea party groups that were written by members vs. an attorney who understood the rules. The applications talked about the tea party goals--smaller government, lower taxes and reducing the deficit--and they were flagged by the IRS because it was unclear how they would do charitable, educational, scientific, literary or religious work to further those goals. After they got a bunch of applications like that, the IRS starting flagging keywords. We WANT our government agencies to prevent misuse of funds and corruption. In this case they were using profiling to do it.

IF the IRS was approving liberal groups to do campaign work (illegal for a 501(c)3 ) and not flagging applications written in a similar way to the tea party groups, then we all need to scream bloody murder. I'm just not convinced that it was happening until I see evidence of it.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:35 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,062,852 times
Wow...

Old 05-16-2013, 12:42 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,133,357 times
O, Little Acorn, you and your Nixon fan club. It's so cute.

Somebody has a serious crush.

The stooges facepalm award goes to...you.

Last edited by carterstamp; 05-16-2013 at 01:23 PM..

Old 05-16-2013, 12:43 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,247,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Thousands of groups pop up claiming tax exempt status and you think they shouldnt be investigated ?

"Certain tax-exempt charitable groups can conduct political activities but it cannot be their primary activity."

Also, the statuses where investigated(atleast it seems) based on name, so as far as they knew, they were investigating liberals just as well as conservatives, or do you think conservatives are the only ones who use the word patriot ?
They were targeting ONLY conservative groups. I cannot understand why liberals defend government without ever even looking at what actually happened.

Are you all so naive to think that liberals in government could never possibly misuse the incredible power given to them?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:48 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,046,112 times
Note something important. He didn't really answer as to if anyone in the WH knew. He just directed them to Carney.

He knew, but obviously he'd never admit it. If we believe him, he never has a clue what's going on if it happens to be bad.

Another reason why he is unaccounted for during Benghazi attack. He didn't want seen when things were going bad so he can say he had no part in the decisions made

Old 05-16-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's what we'll find out with an investigation. The IRS has had their budget cut by 17%, and the applications for 501(c)3 status have gone through the roof.
17% link?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,923,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
They were targeting ONLY conservative groups. I cannot understand why liberals defend government without ever even looking at what actually happened.

Are you all so naive to think that liberals in government could never possibly misuse the incredible power given to them?
No one says they were targeting ONLY conservative groups. Even a casual perusal of the list of those who were denied tax-exempt status reveals that. The credit repair groups really jump out at you.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:58 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,733,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post

Not true.

From another thread on the same topic:

"72 out of 298 groups had Tea Party or Patriot in their name. another 29 were conservative. the rest of the 197 groups where a combination of non political/moderate and liberal groups. "

https://www.city-data.com/forum/29593248-post7.html

Old 05-16-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Not true.

From another thread on the same topic:

"72 out of 298 groups had Tea Party or Patriot in their name. another 29 were conservative. the rest of the 197 groups where a combination of non political/moderate and liberal groups. "

https://www.city-data.com/forum/29593248-post7.html
This didn't work the first time nor will it this time. This is about groups that had their tax status granted and then ran afoul of the rules.

Emerge America, a group which helps Democratic women seeking
elected office, said it lost it tax-exempt status last October.
The IRS invoked the "private benefit doctrine" barring 501(c)(4)
status for any group promoting a candidate or political party.
The IRS announced its final decision in May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies