Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 10:34 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Oh wait ... I did find something ...,what was that, none were rejected???

Q&A: The IRS-Tea Party scandal explained
That's some great after-birther logic you have there.

Are you a consitutional scholar by any chance because I love the part about how the government can target people and essentially harrass and intimidate them as long as they don't actually arrest them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 10:36 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
These groups were not targeted becsue of any evidence they were trying to avoid paying taxes, they were targeted becsue of their ideology.
It's hard to have an honest discussion with the after-birthers. One of them was just arguing that it's all ok because this one lib. organization lost their tax exempt status.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Well Bob if they were including liberal organizations for this scrutiny you may have point but this discussion is about them targeting a specific ideological group.

You say the method is wrong? Of course it's wrong... LOL
the criteria was revised twice so that it would be more inclusive, that is why the media is only focusing on those who applied for Tax exempt status in 2011. Anyone applying after Jan 25.2012 was part of the broader search.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You can't just throw people in jail. What law did they break?
I think Howard Fineman says it best. All these "scandals" are just a "slow motion Swift Boating" operation.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
You didn't watch the entire video? Come on, it's funny.
I didnt have to watch the video, i saw the actual show. The video being funny doesnt change the fact that the title is misleading.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:41 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,823,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I didnt have to watch the video, i saw the actual show. The video being funny doesnt change the fact that the title is misleading.
Short term memory? Obama is IRONMAN. Oh. I'm sorry. Is Obama your guy?

Old 05-14-2013, 10:45 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
There are some trying to deal with the real source of the problem ...

Prop C, LA Measure To Overturn Citizens United, Will Be Voted On By Angelenos Next Week

Old 05-14-2013, 10:51 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This was a stupid low level decision. What they should have done is make a list of the top 1,000 fortunes, income and largest corporations and send the auditors to have fun with them.
Except that's not what this particular branch of the IRS does. Try to stay on topic, if you please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The IRS was justified to look into the abuse of the tax code by political organizations pretending to be legitimate “social welfare” groups. No one has an automatic right to this tax exemption; those seeking one should expect close scrutiny from the government to ensure it is not evading taxes. The agency’s mistake was to focus only on Tea PArty groups.
Good point. I'm also wondering if the IRS as a whole -- not just this particular group of investigators -- hasn't been hard after political groups, advocacy groups, etc., in general. The IRS has been cracking down on nonprofits for the past several years, and plenty of them have lost their tax exempt status.

Quote:
Lois Lerner, heard about Tea Party applicants being singled out for review through keyword searches in applications, she ordered that the focus be broadened to all political or lobbying organizations.
Here's more from Lerner:

IRS Tea Party Scandal Could Cause Charity Fallout - News - The Chronicle of Philanthropy- Connecting the nonprofit world with news, jobs, and ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You're making excuses for the IRS when they have already owned up to targeting conservative groups.
I'm just trying to educate you all on what the IRS is after as far as regulating tax exempt status goes.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:54 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
If they were following established protocol they certainly wouldn't apologize and the President wouldn't be threatening to remove senior directors.

If it was established protocol they would have issued a simple statement that said "We routinely investigate the legitimacy of all organizations applying for tax exempt status in a fair and unbiased manner regardless of who is President."

What we know is a fraction of what really happened.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:57 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Did you watch the video ? He is going after the head of the IRS for not telling the true. The only place he goes after Obama is where he says he should have caught it sooner.
You obviously have a different version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies