Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:00 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,709,728 times

Advertisements

The Nazis weren't only about expanding the might of the pure Aryan race, but it sure was the major catalyst for all that other atrocious crap they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 04:29 PM

825 posts, read 1,035,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Of course I do, but we're not talking about the North.

Nobody has asked me what I think about racism in the North before and during the Civil War, but that's entirely irrelevant to the debate: the southern states who tried to secede did so in order to preserve slavery. We know that because that's what they told us and the world when they voted to secede. No honest person could deny that.

Now, to prove you consider slavery an abomination, answer me this: how long should slaves have been expected to wait for slavery to die out?

And if you think the solution should have been to buy the slaves from the masters, how much should the slaves have been paid?
Slavery should have been ended as soon as we signed the Declaration of Independence, to be honest. But my point is that the civil war wasnt just about slavery. If it was, Lincoln would have freed all of the slaves right away.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:30 PM

825 posts, read 1,035,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Red necks and racists have made the Confederate battle flag into a symbol of evil. I used to fly it along with the Union flag as I loved the history of it. But I took it down because it has been co opted by the racist extremists just like the Nazis co opted the swastika and old Sanskrit symbol of peace. Thanks you idiots.
I agree, two important symbols highjacked by idiots!

Old 12-19-2012, 04:51 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,427,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Excellent post Sir, but you will not persuade them with facts.
Here is a fact:
The first signatory states of the Confederacy did peacefully secede from the union. The peaceful secession lasted less than a month before Ft. Sumpter was fired on by Confederates, which prompted a declaration of war. If Ft. Sumpter, an isolated island of Union territory, had been allowed to re-provision peacefully, the war would never have begun. Ft. Sumpter would have become the equivalent of Guantanamo in Cuba.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:17 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,227,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Uh yea...it kinda was.
Kinda was in the same sense that Desert Storm was about oil. Slavery was the central emotional issue that had great impact on the state's rights argument. Iraq invading Kuwait and threatening Saudi Arabia without provocation was the "cause" of Desert Storm, but oil interests are what caused anyone else to care.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:55 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,239,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
I'm plenty bright. There's a difference between the agenda of the power elite, and the beliefs of the rank and file soldier. You're saying all German troops in WW II were evil? Hell were they all even Nazis?

Oh, you should probably learn to properly use 'you're' before questioning someone's intelligence.
Proved his point. He wasn't saying all German troops in WWII were evil. He was saying the flag represents evil regardless of the sum morality of the rank and file fighting under it. Funny that in defense of your brightness you totally whiffed on that.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:14 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,920,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
A lot of good men died under the Nazi flag. Your not too bright are you?
The bright people I know have a fundamental grip on the difference between a contraction and adjective.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,338,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I would wager that the black ancestry there do...

Why are Southerners so obsessed with flying the "Stars & Bars" in the first place? You guys lost the Civil War, remember? The Confederate flag represents your failure.
The Confederate experiment is not my failure, as my parents are the first generation of my family to have been born in the United States. However, I have always seen that flag as a repugnant symbol of oppression. Most Jews I know do. I think we Jews are a bit more sensitive to that sort of thing.

I've never understood why some people stubbornly cling to that symbol. To me it's like neo-Nazis clinging to the swastika.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 AM

13,703 posts, read 9,036,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The Confederate experiment is not my failure, as my parents are the first generation of my family to have been born in the United States. However, I have always seen that flag as a repugnant symbol of oppression. Most Jews I know do. I think we Jews are a bit more sensitive to that sort of thing.

I've never understood why some people stubbornly cling to that symbol. To me it's like neo-Nazis clinging to the swastika.

I agree. Having been born and raised in Fort Worth I have come across several people who cling to the romantic idealized version of the 'ol South'.

One person I met, decades ago, fit the average profile: a racist who believed that some day the South Will Rise Again! How he talked about Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis! What a wonderful times it must have been to live in the old Confederacy! A time when Whites Ruled and Blacks Served!

However, said person was, in my view, very much mistaken about what his place would have been in the Confederacy (and in the Old South before that). After all, the South was a place of the Aristocracy (very much influenced by the works of Sir Walter Scott). You had the landed gentry (the cream of the crop), the merchant class, the white laboring class, and the slaves.

Said person would have firmly been in the white laboring class. He came from a very poor family of no note, was poor himself (plus he dropped out of school at a young age to increase his chances of remaining poor) and lived in an old mobile home with filthy children running about.

People like General Lee and Mr Jefferson simply did not associate with such people, save to give them a rifle and tell them to stand and die for the old ways.

Such is life.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,338,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
People like General Lee and Mr Jefferson simply did not associate with such people, save to give them a rifle and tell them to stand and die for the old ways.

Such is life.
It's in parallel with the modern lower-class white conservative who thinks that the Republican party actually has his/her best interests in mind. Nope, not so much!

(That's not to say the Democrats are much better. They're not.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies