Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 06:40 AM

518 posts, read 407,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
So uh, the people 'rejected the Republican party' by re-electing a Republican Congress?

How's that work Mike?
They voted for the republican incumbents in their own districts. That's how it works.

I don't always have much confidence in the intelligence of the average voter, but I'm guessing they won't be voting for republicans in their own districts anymore if they filibuster the country into a widespread recession - not even the more ardent republicans would. I'm pretty confident in saying that much.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Instead of Americans joining forces to vote against higher taxes you voted to hurt other Americans even though it wouldn't be enough money. Key words "not enough money". Why do you think Obama is playing hard ball. He wants everyone to pay higher taxes?

Whenever you wish higher taxes on your neighbor for vengeance, you make Obama smile because they know the neighbor will soon return the favor.
It's not vengeance, my friend; it's making people pay what they owe. The rich who supported republicans with votes and with political contributions got three decades of deregulation and trillions in defense spending. But there's a price to be paid. The average American has been paying for years; it's now time that the rich pay some of it back. Wars are expensive. Recessions caused by irresponsible banking practices are even more expensive. Time to pay for their glutton. They can be reasonable and pay a small percentage of that now, or they can be unreasonable and become politically impotent and pay much more over the long haul. Their choice.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,168,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
What the majority of people seem to not realize here is that they President is not a monarch (as much as he would like to think he is) and he does not have absolute control. There is a reason why we have Congress, so that ALL of the people are fully represented. Now I know that representation in government is a dicey thing at best but never the less, we have what we have.

So for all of the people who say we have a mandate since President Obama was re-elected, you are wrong. A Republican House was re-elected too. The system was designed to have this system of checks and balances so that the President nor Congress has absolute control. Unfortunately, it has devolved into petty squabbles rather then both sides working together to actually achieve any progress. The Democrats don't want to listen to the Republicans or propose and real solutions, so the Republicans block what the Democrats are proposing (or not proposing) and we have gridlock.

Personally, I am glad we have the ability to have this system of checks aand balances in place. Especially right now when the Democrats are trying to do more of their failed policies. We have had spending galore for the past 5-6 years and it has made things far worse for everyone in this country.
""""""""The Democrats don't want to listen to the Republicans or propose and real solutions, so the Republicans block what the Democrats are proposing (or not proposing) and we have gridlock. """

Ya really got it backwards.
Right from the beginning of Obama's FIRST( ) term leading Repugnant #itch McConnel said the No. 1 priority was to make Obama a one term president(Gee, THAT Republican plan sure didn't work!).

#itch McConnell did NOT say the Repugnants no. 1 priority was creating jobs, cutting the deficit, fixing the economy or anything else to help Americans. It was the Republicans who blocked all efforts to help AMERICA and Americans...

The Republicans created gridlock and stagnation and intelligent Americans know it.

Double kudos to Obama for helping America through all the things he DID accomplish (like a true patriot) DESPITE the Anti-American efforts of the Republicans.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,403,369 times
The retarded radical right: "Durrrr...Obama won and the GOP lost seats in Congress, but Obama doesn't have a mandate...durrrrrr...."

Old 12-07-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Leadership is not being the 1st Black President. Leadership is not giving speeches with southern church cadences. Nor is it claiming a mandate where there is none. No compromises not a good leadership strategy or negotiating stance if you really want to accomplish something. We've been through this before with this President and as a result his "Elections have consequences" stratgy poisoned his first term. And yes, words matter.

So you can all you like. Get back to me when you've actually had to lead something and get a goal accomplished and tell me what you've learned.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:36 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,223,587 times
Quote:
So uh, the people 'rejected the Republican party' by re-electing a Republican Congress?

How's that work Mike?
False, it is a split congress, the seats in the House are not equal to the seats in the Senate. Also with the House you deal with lots of little districts that have been turned into tons of safe districts for both sides.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:26 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,771,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
It's not vengeance, my friend; it's making people pay what they owe. The rich who supported republicans with votes and with political contributions got three decades of deregulation and trillions in defense spending. But there's a price to be paid. The average American has been paying for years; it's now time that the rich pay some of it back. Wars are expensive. Recessions caused by irresponsible banking practices are even more expensive. Time to pay for their glutton. They can be reasonable and pay a small percentage of that now, or they can be unreasonable and become politically impotent and pay much more over the long haul. Their choice.
Again, Obama was involved in pushing for those irresponsible banking practices. The people were also too greedy to not be taken in by them. They signed the dotted line even knowing they couldn't afford it.

I would be able to buy the rest of your argument if Obama was not so greedy and starting at $250K. Those people are not the bankers or wall street. They are the working class just like many other Americans. It's just a lot of money to you so your inability to differentiate between bankers and everyday working people is why Obama is able to get away with yet another lie.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:43 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes thats right, and that means neither received approval from the majority of U.S. citizens
Gosh, even Ann Coulter recognizes that the Republicans lost the election. The only ones that don't realize it are the ones living in denial - like McConnell and the Republican spokespeople such as Hannity.

The world is watching and laughing at their antics. I hope they continue to twist in the wind.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
No, please, don't. Let the fiscal cliff happen. Let senate republicans vote themselves out of office for the next two decades. They've loved using the filibuster. It's their friend. They're committed to making Obama look bad, which is fine. What they don't realize is, they're going to make themselves look insane. The average American actually is, for once, catching on to the fact that they're a bunch of deranged idiots. They're watching this in real-time as it happens, and Obama has the credibility here. He's even told them he's not going to give in to their ridiculous demands and people still support him over republicans. Sure, Obama will look bad. His approval ratings will take a dive, but then again, they were the worst ever for a 2nd term president to begin with. What exactly do republicans think has changed over the past few weeks?! Did they suddenly get more popular?! Pffff, bwahahaha!
I think this is true. I sense a change in my Republican friends as these antics are brought to light. They are saddened by what is happening to their party. Wondering how someone such as Norquist can hold so much power. Wondering how the TeaParty managed to overshadow their wiser, and more moderate leaders.

As I see it unravel - it is frightening to me - some of the ignorance that I see displayed. Unfortunately, it seems to be accompanied by extreme arrogance and an inability to find any middle ground.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:36 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:

How's that work Mike?
Time after time, the citizens have shown that they don't want one party to have overwhelming control. Rightly so, as super majorities always prove to fall quickly into nonsense and corruption.

The House by it's design can change more quickly than the other branches of government, and the voters don't want conservatives to disappear- they just want them to start acting responsibly. I see keeping the House as a signal for conservatives to clean their act up, and this is their last chance to do so.
If they don't, the Republicans will surely see another 2006 in two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.