Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 12:43 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,568,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Martin Luther King and his wife Coreta Scott King both agreed that ssm was a civil rights issue. She said back in 2003 " Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream, to make room at the table of brotherhood and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people"
In 1998 she called on the civil rights community to join in the struggle against homophobia and anti-gay bias "Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood" she also stated " This sets the stage for further repression and violence that spread all too easily to victimize the next minority group"

I remind people all the time that the civil rights movement was not just about black people, it was about the rights all of us have. Once a precedent is set to remove a groups rights by the majority, who elses rights are up on the chopping block next, Jewish people because they are few? Pick your minority and see who can be next. You?
there is no way MLK was for same sex "marriage" I doubt you would find more then 1000 people living (and most of them in asylums) in the country at the time he was shot who were in favor of 2 men "marrying" each other at the time he was shot.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:12 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,625,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
there is no way MLK was for same sex "marriage" I doubt you would find more then 1000 people living (and most of them in asylums) in the country at the time he was shot who were in favor of 2 men "marrying" each other at the time he was shot.
So what?

Even, assuming you are right, the same thing could have been said 40 years ago about interracial marriage. We don't legislate today based on what people 40 years ago thought.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:29 PM

753 posts, read 730,716 times
And outstanding (and long) article about the strategy of marriage equality advocates and how that strategy resulted in sweeping victories this past election day:
The Marriage Plot: Inside This Year's Epic Campaign for Gay Equality - Molly Ball - The Atlantic

And this:
WSJ/NBC Poll: Majority Now Backs Gay Marriage - Washington Wire - WSJ

Quote:
Driven by a surge in support among the young and minorities, a majority of Americans now supports gay marriage, marking an abrupt shift in public opinion on a divisive issue.

The nonsense of the first sentence of the article notwithstanding, there is nothing abrupt about the trend, as the above graph (from the article itself) shows. Rather, the increase in support has been steady and predictable.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:56 PM

And it appears likely that Ohio will have a ballot question in 2013 to legalize same-sex marriage:

Gay marriage amendment may be headed to Ohio ballot in 2013 | www.daytondailynews.com
Ohio Gay Marriage Foes Organize To Defend Ban - On Top Magazine | Gay news & entertainment#

Old 12-13-2012, 02:59 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,489,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post

Ohio has a lot of conservative rural areas. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't vote in favor of gay marriage.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Ohio has a lot of conservative rural areas. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't vote in favor of gay marriage.
I wouldn't be shocked, either. But then, I wouldn't have been surprised if Maryland have voted against same-sex marriage this year. And I was surprised when Minnesota (where I live) voted down the proposed constitutional ban.

If the vote is held I expect it to be close, as were the votes this year.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 PM

335 posts, read 336,240 times
This is not my idea -- I've read it many times -- but it bears repeating. The reason gays are coming to be accepted is that they are coming out of the closet so that people can see them and realize they are not anything special.

Me and my partner are something of an example. We kept our relationship as being "just friends" with my partner's family for many years. This allowed them to deny the reality and maintain their prejudices. (My own family has known I'm gay since I was in my teens, and I was lucky enough to have a gay uncle who kinda educated the family in my behalf).

About twenty years ago we decided this was silly and "came out" to his father, probably the most conservative of the family (they are firm Presbyterians, which, as Christian denominations go, tend to be more reasonable). His response was that he already figured as much, and he was happy that we had such a stable relationship. (In the recent state of Washington elections on the matter, he was a vocal supporter of gay rights).

One time we had lunch at a restaurant with one of my partner's sisters and her
religiously fundamentalist husband. We talked about the stock market and the problems of small businessmen. The feedback I got was that he was pleased I was such a good Republican, and that he was surprised a gay man could be so indistinguishable from other businessmen.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
This is not my idea -- I've read it many times -- but it bears repeating. The reason gays are coming to be accepted is that they are coming out of the closet so that people can see them and realize they are not anything special.

Me and my partner are something of an example. We kept our relationship as being "just friends" with my partner's family for many years. This allowed them to deny the reality and maintain their prejudices. (My own family has known I'm gay since I was in my teens, and I was lucky enough to have a gay uncle who kinda educated the family in my behalf).

About twenty years ago we decided this was silly and "came out" to his father, probably the most conservative of the family (they are firm Presbyterians, which, as Christian denominations go, tend to be more reasonable). His response was that he already figured as much, and he was happy that we had such a stable relationship. (In the recent state of Washington elections on the matter, he was a vocal supporter of gay rights).

religiously fundamentalist husband. We talked about the stock market and the problems of small businessmen. The feedback I got was that he was pleased I was such a good Republican, and that he was surprised a gay man could be so indistinguishable from other businessmen.
Indeed.

It's much easier to fear and hate a lurid caricature spun of a homosexual (and that is the word that will be used during the spinning) than your uncle/daughter/sibling/cousin who says "I'm gay".

And the coming out is one of positive feedback. The more it happens, the more it:
a) destroys caricatures, and
b) encourages more coming out

It's why you see so many angry posters complain about gays 'flaunting it' (code for 'daring to emerge from the closet'). They know, on some level, that such visibility is undermining their hate.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:27 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,601,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post

Thank you for posting such a nice, though provoking post!

This is what makes acceptance happen. Not the crazy, in your face, accept my beliefs but I will demean yours type of rhetoric that is so often seen here from the gay community.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:41 AM

11,184 posts, read 6,539,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Thank you for posting such a nice, though provoking post!

This is what makes acceptance happen. Not the crazy, in your face, accept my beliefs but I will demean yours type of rhetoric that is so often seen here from the gay community.
I don't read every gay-oriented thread or every post, but my impression is there's an equality of in your face rhetoric from ssm supporters and opponents. A bunch of supporters tend to mock the religious beliefs of opponents and attribute All opposition to hate and bigotry. A bunch of opponents tend to mock the very being of gay people. Neither group is very helpful to their 'side'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies