Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:52 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,105,637 times

Advertisements

We are all living underground in a dream called the Matrix, while we wait for NEO to save us. That is because 10,000 years ago a forest fire was started by lightening that scorched the entire N. American continent and sent tonnes of carbon into the air suffocating life on the surface, because there were no humans capable of putting out the fire. Actually, the dream part is a hoax. The fires weren't, though because they did happen, over and over and life went on, didn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 12:17 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,051,449 times
I have to say I'm more worried about these global warming loons testing their artificial volcanoes to cool the planet and their ocean fertilization dumping iron all over the place than I am about folks breathing. These idiots will bring the onset of an ice age if they aren't stopped.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:56 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,974,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
No, the argument is that pumping billions of tons of CO2 into the environment every year is altering the environment in both predictable and unpredictable and almost entirely negative ways, affecting the lives, health and property of billions of people. The argument is that doubling the CO2 content of the entire atmosphere in as little as 100 years is an unprecedented event that should concern everyone. Unfortunately, some people just don't get the idea that our planet is not an infinite, non-reactive dumping ground for their waste products. Sooner or later the planet fights back, as do those affected.

That is the hypothesis, not the conclusively established findings of the position. It is the supposition being made, not the validated establishment of the issue.

As I said, we know that we we contribute C02. We know the basic amount we contribute. We know that C02 does play a part in the warming. That is what we can validate.

What is not validated is the significance of our contribution as we can not identify a signal of our contribution that distinguishes itself from that of natural variability. This has yet to be properly established and as I said, models are not a validation of such a claim.

Those are the facts. Anything more is speculation.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,974,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I have to say I'm more worried about these global warming loons testing their artificial volcanoes to cool the planet and their ocean fertilization dumping iron all over the place than I am about folks breathing. These idiots will bring the onset of an ice age if they aren't stopped.
You remember a while back they were building carbon capture and storage? Well, there is some information coming that suggest this process "may" be causing seismic events.

I really wish we could go back to practicing science rather than having a politically driven hypothetical be the establishment of our decisions.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:54 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,948,712 times
Quote:
The power company is LG&E, which used to be owned by German utility firm E.ON but was purchased in 2010 by PPL. Yes it is publically traded. So what? So is Facebook and Microsoft. I am not sure who owns the coal mine but the United States government does not own our coal mines. This is not China.
Criticize China all you want. They are at least honest about it. The govt owns the controlling shares of publicly traded companies. Yes MS is one of many.

So you don't think controlling shareholders matter in a company?

If you don't know what a CAFR is I suggest you find out. It is the actual accounting of govt investments. Here's an example.
What is JP Morgan Chase? « REALITY BLOG

This is a simple separate listing. But it gives you the idea of what is owned in this one fund. Lo and behold there are coal companies listed. Some look like they are chinese. (lol)
New York State Common Retirement Fund Asset Listing as of March ...

Last edited by CDusr; 06-27-2012 at 03:05 PM..

Old 06-27-2012, 02:58 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,221,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
That is the hypothesis, not the conclusively established findings of the position. It is the supposition being made, not the validated establishment of the issue.

As I said, we know that we we contribute C02. We know the basic amount we contribute. We know that C02 does play a part in the warming. That is what we can validate.

What is not validated is the significance of our contribution as we can not identify a signal of our contribution that distinguishes itself from that of natural variability. This has yet to be properly established and as I said, models are not a validation of such a claim.

Those are the facts. Anything more is speculation.
We do know the amount of CO2 that has been in the atmosphere for at least the last 400,000 years based on ice cores and more recently, direct measurements, not computer models. The amount that is in the atmosphere today is at least 100ppm more than it has been at any time in the last 400,000 years. That can only be explained by CO2 emissions from human sources.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:00 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,221,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Criticize China all you want. They are at least honest about it. The govt owns the controlling shares of publicly traded companies. Yes MS is one of many.

So you don't think controlling shareholders matter in a company?

If you don't know what a CAFR is I suggest you find out. It is the actual accounting of govt investments. Here's an example.
What is JP Morgan Chase? « REALITY BLOG
Yeah yeah, it's all a guvment comspiracy.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,752,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I'm curious about something.

How many of y'all who think the EPA is the devil incarnate are old enough to remember the days before there was an EPA or environmental regulations?

I remember it well and can tell you that you would NOT want to go back to those days. Well...not unless you just WANT your kids and grandkids swimming in polluted waters, drinking heavy metals from the industrial complex down the street or breathing air which was literally brown and smelled like rotten fruit.
I remember those days.
I remember when the smog was so bad in NYC that people were confined to their homes for days.

No thank you.

Seems kind of silly that a court had to rule that the EPA should be allowed to do its job, but, this is just the kind of crazy world we live in now.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You remember a while back they were building carbon capture and storage? Well, there is some information coming that suggest this process "may" be causing seismic events.

I really wish we could go back to practicing science rather than having a politically driven hypothetical be the establishment of our decisions.
Yeah I saw that. The same fools who scream about fracturing causing seismic events have no problem storing c02. Also what happens in a hundred years after all this co2 is stored up and the tanks start leaking?? We'll just burn up in a global warming monsoon I guess but hey at least the global warmers tried to save us all is what will be left carved on the rocks.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
We do know the amount of CO2 that has been in the atmosphere for at least the last 400,000 years based on ice cores and more recently, direct measurements, not computer models. The amount that is in the atmosphere today is at least 100ppm more than it has been at any time in the last 400,000 years. That can only be explained by CO2 emissions from human sources.
Tell me oh wise co2 hater what is the optimum amount of co2 that should be in the atmosphere? Also what is the optimum temperature of the earth that all you global warmers have deemed we should be at to allow us all to survive in the utopia you so desire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies