Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 04:53 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,416,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The investigation was ongoing. There was insufficient evidence establishing probable cause for an arrest on the night of the killing, in their opinion.
Btw, maybe you didn't see the question, but do you think that posting statistics regarding the number of black people in prison/jails in this country is relevant to the topic being discussed in this thread?

As for the SPD not arresting Zimmerman that night, seems I remember reading something about the police telling TM's parents that they didn't arrest Zimmerman because he was "squeaky clean"......was that just a rumor or was there any truth to that? Do you know?

Old 06-11-2012, 05:21 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,416,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Maybe beacause there were no whites wearing hooddies and sneaking behind houses?
Was Trayvon "sneaking behind houses"?

Old 06-11-2012, 05:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,449,916 times
Zimmerman is a registered democrat. I assume that Martin would have voted democrat when he turned 18...We gotta stop this democrat on democrat crime in this country. Too much offing each other...We're running out of democrats.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:27 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,952,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
No I wouldn't and most people wouldn't consider three thugs killed during home invasion as "victims". No matter how dead they were.

Sure, sure. Excuses, excuses.

Trayvon Martin is not "three thugs". He was one unarmed person walking home from 7-11 who was not committing any crime. If he was conspiring or planning to commit a crime or to harm someone, he wouldn't be a victim. Unless it is proven that George Zimmerman was attacked (although TM has no motive to do so), as it stands Trayvon Martin is the victim. What point are you trying to prove here? I think I know what it is, let's see if you will admit it.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:44 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,021,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Media reports that a prosecutor overruled a cop's request to arrest gz the night of the killing are just that--- media reports. Putting aside the prosecutor and SPD denying those reports, there's not a shred of evidence to back it up, not that evidence matters.

You wanted an arrest, investigation, trial, you got them. Did you think tm would be immune from scrutiny ? Some of what you call 'an attempt to disparage a dead teen', most by 'merely innuendo or blatantly fake materials' just might be used at trial if proven true by the defense.
No, actually the officer, Chris Serino, has spoken openly about the issue; that's beyond hearsay evidence. Of course it matters, because it will look bad for the defense that Serino believed that he had ample evidence to charge Zimmerman that night. That his doubts were based on Zimmerman telling conflicting stories as he did at the bond hearing only undermines Zimmerman's
veracity more deeply.

You sound displeased that Zimmerman and his attorneys will have the chance to make their case that he's not guilty of 2nd degree murder, or manslaughter. One would think that a fair trial would be everyone's objective. I had no illusion that Trayvon Martin would go unscrutinized, but it surprises me that people are so desperate to believe that he somehow deserved to die.
And I hardly doubt that fake photos or texts that have been proven to be false will be high on the defense's list of priorities when the case comes to trial. Here Serino discusses the case:

Nearly 200 pages of documents released in Trayvon Martin shooting case | Fox News

Old 06-12-2012, 04:56 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,518,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
No, actually the officer, Chris Serino, has spoken openly about the issue; that's beyond hearsay evidence. Of course it matters, because it will look bad for the defense that Serino believed that he had ample evidence to charge Zimmerman that night. That his doubts were based on Zimmerman telling conflicting stories as he did at the bond hearing only undermines Zimmerman's
veracity more deeply.

You sound displeased that Zimmerman and his attorneys will have the chance to make their case that he's not guilty of 2nd degree murder, or manslaughter. One would think that a fair trial would be everyone's objective. I had no illusion that Trayvon Martin would go unscrutinized, but it surprises me that people are so desperate to believe that he somehow deserved to die.
And I hardly doubt that fake photos or texts that have been proven to be false will be high on the defense's list of priorities when the case comes to trial. Here Serino discusses the case:

Nearly 200 pages of documents released in Trayvon Martin shooting case | Fox News
I was about to thank you for providing important info I'd missed, then I read the article. The 2nd paragraph---

"The lead investigator in the case wanted to charge Zimmerman with manslaughter in the weeks after the shooting but was overruled."

See the words in the weeks after the shooting ? On March 13, Serino sent the arrest request to prosecutors. Where do you see anything about Serino believing he had ample evidence to charge Zimmerman that night ? The whole 'that night' story is a myth started by media reports that In My Opinion relied on biased sources or didn't understand the difference between Feb. 26 and March 13.

I think the weed baggie and pipe from tm's suspension will be used and If the facebook can be proven to be tm's, parts of it might be used.

I suppose there are Some people who believe that tm 'deserved to die.' Not me. Unless believing gz might have Legally acted in self defense is the same to you as believing tm 'deserved to die.'

I'm neither pleased nor displeased. The purpose of a trial, however, is for the state to prove a defendant is guilty, not for a defendant to have the 'opportunity' to prove innocence.

imo.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:56 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,759,189 times
[quote=Evenstar51;24688012]Whogo's link yielded this nugget, which may explain many of the posts that are seen on this thread:

Why Conservatives Are Smearing Trayvon Martin

Quote:
I’m far from the first to notice the similarities between the way people talk about Martin and the way they talk about rape victims, whose clothes and histories are often subject to scrutiny no matter how cut-and-dried the case seems. Like a rape victim, Martin’s past is being excavated for evidence that he might have provoked the harm done to him. It hardly matters that even if Martin had gotten high every day, it would have had zero relevance; it’s not as if marijuana use is linked to violence. Nor that it’s not unusual for a teenager to come across as obnoxious on Twitter. People were looking for some tenuous justification for treating him as complicit in his own death, and now they’ve found it. (For the record, I was also suspended from high school, though in my case for smoking cigarettes. I trust that should a stranger shoot me in the street, no one will treat this as a mitigating factor.)/]
MJ is mostly harmless, but chronic use can cause impaired judgment, even if not high at the time, perhaps this combined with the naivety of a 17 yr old, aggravated the situation.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:36 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,246,976 times
Interesting remarks from Judge Lester concerning the bond revocation. Note the bolded.

Quote:
The judge writes that his considered several factors, most of which weighed against Zimmerman.

Among them, "this is a serious charge for which life may be imposed; the evidence against him is strong; he has been charged with one prior crime, for which he went through a pre-trial diversion program, and has had an injunction lodged against him" for domestic violence.

"Most importantly, though, is the fact that he has now demonstrated that he does not properly respect the law or the integrity of the judicial process," Lester wrote.
George Zimmerman bond revoked order: Judge's order explains why he sent Zimmerman back to jail - Orlando Sentinel

Old 06-12-2012, 01:21 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,220,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Interesting remarks from Judge Lester concerning the bond revocation. Note the bolded.

George Zimmerman bond revoked order: Judge's order explains why he sent Zimmerman back to jail - Orlando Sentinel
It would also weigh against him that he spoke out against law enforcement in the beating death of a homeless black man.

George Zimmerman

Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,336,851 times
[quote=Suncc49;24712891]It would also weigh against him that he spoke out against law enforcement in the beating death of a homeless black man.

George Zimmerman

Are you trying to compare that to actually killing one? I rather take the beat down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies