Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 11:24 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,312,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have an, uh, acquaintance whose 17 yo and his friends used marijuana quite frequently. The kid went on to a highly ranked college. Plus, there was this cocaine ring going on among the cheerleaders at my kids' school; they were doing coke at school. I think you are being naive about your acquaintances.

The amount of THC in Trayvon's system indicates he smoked dope some time previously. It does not indicate that he was high. "I think he's on drugs" is a common statement for someone to make about another person acting what they think is "strangely".

Trayvon had no burglary tools or stolen property on his person when he was killed by Zimmerman. He was supposedly buying the skittles for someone else. He doesn't look like he ate that much candy. Walking in the rain is not strange behavior if a) you have no car, and b) you live somewhere where it rains a lot. Apparently it was really just drizzling, not downpouring.
You can follow the drug users and their abuse will undo them in life soon or shortly down the line.
The burglary tools, defacing property, drugs, drug pipe and jewelry without an explanation for where it came from was why Trayvon was suspended from school.

PS, if you have acquaintances on drugs, find better acquaintances.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 AM

11,184 posts, read 6,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
People are posting their speculation as fact. I believe I've posted mostly about procedure and how this will play out in the courtroom. I'm not speculating about procedure. I'm also pointing out that the "evidence currently available" in many cases is contradictory and changes. What information have I posted as fact which was an assumption on my part? Even the ME report has a term in it which will have to be more specifically defined in court, "intermediate range." Real court is not like TV at all. There are lots of boring things which have to be established in trials, like venue, cause and manner of death, very unexciting things, but it is valuable to understand the process itself, IMO.

No, I certainly don't think these threads should be closed. And I don't think that challenging what people think are absolute facts is not inappropriate.
I don't claim to have read or remember all your posts, but my impession is you rarely if ever challenge the IAmTrayvon 'side' on what they post as facts. Maps 'proving' gz never turned back to his car; suggestions he inflicted the injuries himself or his friendly doctor faed the medical report; the 'fact' that tm's body had nothing indicating he could have punched someone; the yell for help was tm's based on a 'voice expert; and many others. You won't admit the state's affadavit used the word's 'confronted' and 'profiled' to implicate and inflame. Even the word 'intermediate' in the ME's report doesn't impress you as more supportive of the defense than prosecution.

I'll add that you're not the only one with enough legal knowledge to know a judge/jury decides witness credibility or all the facts aren't known.

Don't get me wrong. No problem with orienting one's posts to one 'side' or another. At least have the self-awareness to know you're doing it.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,246,625 times
I'm supposed to screen everyone before I become acquainted with them?

Seriously, smoking mj is not uncommon. Here in CO you can get a medical marijuana card with little scrutiny. Lots of people have them.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:31 AM

39,955 posts, read 26,704,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Look, I am accusing Trayvon's mother of lying just as much as she would be claiming that Zimmerman was lying by her own claim.

From evidence we know that Zimmerman told paramedics on the scene that he had been screaming for help and no one would come. That was long before any tape surfaced where we could hear someone screaming. And the police noted that Zimmerman was wet and has grass on his back, which would indicate that he had been on his back on the ground.

So, in order to believe that it isn't Zimmerman's voice, you would have to believe that Zimmerman knew people heard Trayvon screaming, and decided to claim that it had actually been him screaming, to justify the shooting. Which while it is likely to some degree. It is far more likely that it was Zimmerman that was screaming for help.

And if Trayvon had been on the bottom, his back would have been wet with grass. But from what I understand, it wasn't. And when Trayvon was shot, he ended up face down on the ground. If Zimmerman had shot him when he was on the bottom, he would have been face up(not to say that Zimmerman couldn't have just rolled him over, but it is unlikely).
I believe Zimmerman's statement about this...because I don't think Zimmerman is especially bright. He violated a basic "rule" of a defensive shooting by talking to police w/o an attorney, which is what makes me believe that way. Reports indicats have stated that the police arrived within about 1 1/2 minutes of the gunshot. In order to believe that Zimmerman made up the story that he was screaming, you would have to believe that in that 1 1/2 minutes, after a hyped up, violent event, that he was able to think "someone might have heard Martin scream, I better turn that around". Sorry, I don't buy that he was that quick.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:38 AM

14,268 posts, read 19,019,340 times
Quote:
I don't believe that Trayvon was casing houses by any means. But, his girlfriend says she told him just to run home, and he said he would not run, but rather just walk fast. What do you think that means exactly?
Nobody knows what it means. If you look at a map of the neighborhood, the 7-Eleven is very far from the home in which he was staying. Even a healthy 17 year old might be tired from all that walking. Also, GZ said to the 911 dispatcher "he's running" so he apparently ran at one point. I'd have to look at the timeline, but it's not clear if she said that before or after he ran from GZ.
Quote:
To me, it means that he felt like he had the right to walk through the neighborhood and not to be bothered by Zimmerman, and was irritated that someone would be following him, and wanted to see what Zimmerman was going to do. And whether he would continue following him.
That's logical, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. However, it might also mean he didn't want to look suspicious running through the neighborhood. A man was stopped by the police for questioning, he ran and was shot in the back. The defense was that he was running away, so he appeared to be guilty.

I bet that if he had continued to run, those who keep calling him a thug and a thief would say he was breaking into a house, which is why he ran. "He was running, so he must have been doing something wrong."

We are talking about a junior in high school here, a fact which most people are either ignoring or fail to understand.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:40 AM

11,184 posts, read 6,542,738 times
Quote:
I'm supposed to screen everyone before I become acquainted with them?

Seriously, smoking mj is not uncommon. Here in CO you can get a medical marijuana card with little scrutiny. Lots of people have them.
I don't really care that tm smoked. I do find it interesting that a red lighter was found on his body. I know, I know, the typical teen who doesn't smoke always has a lighter with them, just as they always have a screwdriver and women's jewelry in school backpacks. Still, a little tidbit.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:47 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,247,657 times
Quote:
Expert on what? So he's a defense lawyer. He knows how to get people off!
Care to further comment on his analysis after I showed you his credentials?

Old 05-24-2012, 11:49 AM

14,268 posts, read 19,019,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I don't really care that tm smoked. I do find it interesting that a red lighter was found on his body. I know, I know, the typical teen who doesn't smoke always has a lighter with them, just as they always have a screwdriver and women's jewelry in school backpacks. Still, a little tidbit.
Oh, puhleeze! So everyone who has a Bic lighter is a drug user? I have a couple of lighters in the house and I don't smoke anything. Maybe he smoked cigarettes like a lot of high school students. (unfortunately)

Speaking of smoking, I probably started to sneak cigarettes from my Dad at age 12 or 13. I gave up smoking completely when I was 23. Before that I also smoked a little weed (actually more than a little) in high school and college, but I can't remember smoking marijuana after I graduated college, although I married someone who liked to smoke a joint after work, along with his friends. In fact, that's something we argued about all the time, since I didn't want drugs in the house. I'm not going to violate his privacy, and I have no idea if he still smokes pot, since I haven't seen him in over 20 years, but he's a top executive for a major corporation.

Edit: In Florida, a lot of kids like to light firecrackers too. Just wanted to add this little "tidbit" of information.

Last edited by justNancy; 05-24-2012 at 12:01 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Care to further comment on his analysis after I showed you his credentials?
No. Not particularly impressed. He's good at his job. He's apparently a conservative. Big whoop. He's not working this case. He doesn't have access to all the data. He works for FOX, the entertainment news network.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
He didn't have a screwdriver or women's jewelry with him when GZ killed him, AFAIK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.